Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: European Lawmakers Draft Legislation that may force Apple to Change its Connectors

Thanks

Default European Lawmakers Draft Legislation that may force Apple to Change its Connectors

European lawmakers agreed to draft legislation that will force all mobile phone manufacturers to consent to the use of a common standard for battery chargers, a standard which can fit any device. The draft could be voted on by the European Parliament as early as March 2014. Although many see this as a huge win for consumers who would no longer have to purchase new charging accessories for different devices, it could potentially be a big blow for Apple. This is because the Cupertino California company uses a proprietary plug, the Lightning connector, in all of its iOS product lines.

David Gilbert of Yahoo News reports the following regarding the matter:

The draft EU legislation could be voted on by the EU parliament as soon as March 2014, and if it passes this stage each member country will be given two years to transpose the legislation into national law, with manufacturers like Apple and Samsung given a further year to implement the changes, meaning 2017 is the earliest we will see the changes come into effect.

The mobile phone market is obviously a global one, so the impact of any changes made in the EU will have much wider reaching effects, as manufacturers will be reticent to produce different versions of their phones for different markets.
    Apple introduced the 9-pin Lightning connector last year with the iPhone 5, fifth-gen iPod touch, fourth-gen iPad and the iPad mini. The change came about as part of an effort to shrink the long-running 30-pin connector so that Apple could make its products smaller.

As of right now, others changes included in the draft legislation include new regulations forcing manufacturers to register their products prior to the market release. A similar program seems to already be in place in the US where the FCC must approve products prior to sales.

We’ll have to wait and see what comes of the whole ordeal.

Source: Yahoo News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

So stupid. Are they gonna try and make all car companies use the same wheel lug pattern too????

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i3exa For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (12-21-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

All of the European officials are mad that their Blackberry power cords doesn't work on their new iPhones and iPads.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RandyTG For This Useful Post:

Evaded (12-21-2013), i3exa (12-22-2013), ohthatguyagain (12-21-2013), Sage I (12-21-2013)

If only they would enact a law that would prevent manufacturers from putting DRM chips in cables, or another one that prevents them from using chips at all, that would be what we need.

It's stupid that the cables cost $40+ because they stuck a chip in it that should be on the machine side instead.

Quote Originally Posted by i3exa View Post
    So stupid. Are they gonna try and make all car companies use the same wheel lug pattern too????
    Only a person with much less than stellar intelligence would be against this (as a consumer)....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brab For This Useful Post:

se23 (12-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    If only they would enact a law that would prevent manufacturers from putting DRM chips in cables, or another one that prevents them from using chips at all, that would be what we need.

It's stupid that the cables cost $40+ because they stuck a chip in it that should be on the machine side instead.
    Bro you can get one on eBay for less than a cup of coffee, the Chinese hacked the DRM.

This law is bullsh1t. What's going to happen if this passes is that none of the manufacturers will want it and they'll just make a port the size of a needle that's barely passes any electricity. An altogether bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Bro you can get one on eBay for less than a cup of coffee, the Chinese hacked the DRM.

This law is bullsh1t. What's going to happen if this passes is that none of the manufacturers will want it and they'll just make a port the size of a needle that's barely passes any electricity. An altogether bad idea.
    I've had THREE of the Chinese ones FAIL on me. You get what you pay for.. They're pure junk.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Make an adapter that sells with all iDevices sold in the EU. Problem solved.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

Sage I (12-21-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Only a person with much less than stellar intelligence would be against this (as a consumer)....
    As a consumer, I see your point. But it's just another example of the over-regulation of government. Why shouldn't a company be able to create their own product? Why should every company have to conform to the governments silly rules? It hinders innovation and creativity in the marketplace. What else are they going to regulate next? Like someone suggested, wheel lug patterns? Because that's a total pain in the A when you go shopping for new wheels. So only a person with much less than stellar intelligence would be for this (as a citizen)....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to filabeaner For This Useful Post:

Sage I (12-21-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I noticed that dx.com (Deal Extreme) no longer sells iPhone cables or power adapters. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Not against it. Would be great if they did it but it's silly to try and impose a law like this. There are bigger fish to fry

That's ok as all Apple and any other company has to say is that its a 'data connection' that happens to charge the phone as well.

It's never been a problem so why make it one?

Quote Originally Posted by filabeaner View Post
    As a consumer, I see your point. But it's just another example of the over-regulation of government. Why shouldn't a company be able to create their own product? Why should every company have to conform to the governments silly rules? It hinders innovation and creativity in the marketplace. What else are they going to regulate next? Like someone suggested, wheel lug patterns? Because that's a total pain in the A when you go shopping for new wheels. So only a person with much less than stellar intelligence would be for this (as a citizen)....
    There aren't that many "examples" of "over-regulation" of governments, especially in the United States, but I would personally be against this law.

Anyway, you're just repeating adages free-market Capitalists repeat without attributing any real value neither to those adages nor the issue at hand. The reason companies should conform to government rules is to keep mercury from being in our cereal. And the problem with this particular law wouldn't be that it would "hinder innovation and creativity," but hinder much of what we already have today—that is, different-sized devices and connectors that serve different means (mag-locks, larger ones for larger devices [sturdier], etc.). The "innovation and creativity" part comes second to that, you parrot.

Wireless Charging is next.

If this rule only covers connections that serve only the purpose of providing power, then that makes sense to me. However, I don't know of any mobile phones that are currently manufactured that have that so it would be pointless really. If the rule covered all portable devices then it would be a different story, I could ditch my 87 power adapter connectors that i currently have!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vazzana View Post
    Wireless Charging is next.
    I think the government should mandate it by 2015.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 12-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.

This is stupid. They're trying to force a standard? They say it's good for consumers, but I'm a consumer and own all apple products. Changing the cable would force me to do what they're trying to prevent...buying adapters!

Thanks

this will only work if they make it so all phones can use wireless charging but leave all original ports on phones for other functions

It's really pathetic when the government gets involved with cell phone charging cables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast