Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple’s iPhone Unveiling Left Google Scrambling Back to the Drawing Board

Thanks

Default Apple’s iPhone Unveiling Left Google Scrambling Back to the Drawing Board

According to an excerpt from a new book named Dogfight: How Apple and Google went to war and started a revolution, the iPhone’s introduction in 2007 was not only a watershed moment for Apple but also a turning point for Google’s Android Team. According to former Apple engineering lead and early Android team member, Chris DeSalvo:

As a consumer I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought 'We're going to have to start over.
    Another Apple alumni and Android project co-founder, Andy Rubin, Steve Job’s presentation had him taken aback. He mentioned the following about the matter:

"Holy crap, I guess we're not going to ship that phone," he reportedly told a colleague, taking about Google's BlackBerry-like "Sooner" device, which was to be the first flagship Android phone.
    The Android team’s response was to refocus development on a new touch-enabled device, which would later become HTC’s T-Mobile G1 and delay their planned public launch by a year. Several features from Sooner were held over, such as the plan for the phone to have a physical keyboard, but the software was completely reworked and redesigned for a touch interface. Vogelstein’s narrative, that the Android team deliberately changed Android’s direction to mimic that of Apple’s iPhone kind of went hand to hand with Job’s stance that Android is a “stolen product.”

For those of you who don’t remember, Jobs told biographer Walter Isaacson the following:

I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.
    Although Apple hasn’t sued Google directly, the companies have waged a proxy war over Android both in court and in the conference rooms of regulators around the world.

Source: The Atlantic

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Again, if it weren't for Apple/iPhone we wouldn't have Androids. I've said this many of times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stolenpentium For This Useful Post:

jose060789 (12-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    Again, if it weren't for Apple/iPhone we wouldn't have Androids. I've said this many of times.
    That's what I've been telling those obnoxious Android fanboys but they keep on claiming that Android was already on development even before Apple's first iPhone debut.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

It's completely obvious that Android was a direct steal and not "already on the drawing board".. The first quote there makes that clear that they reworked everything about the Sooner to make the G1 release with a "stolen" GUI.

But in the end - it's Androids "open" platform that made it an initial hit along with the "anything but Apple" sentiment that's always out there.

But the nail in the coffin for Apple that allowed Android to take over market share - was the closed platform and refusal of Apple to go larger screen.

But Android fragmentation is unbearable. Even the most committed newly anti-iPhone person would never want to jump ship.. If you do -- you'll be back.. I was carrying an iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 and Note2 around all together for a month.. Really, really learned Android.. After 30 days.. Returned S3 and Note2.. Never to return. As frustrated as I am with apples closed platform it's simply the best product out there bar none. That's my "objective" conclusion after using all three products.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,895 Times in 6,765 Posts

I like turtles!
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    True. I remember being having windows mobile os on my old HTC Wing and being excited about the news and previews to the android OS(which of course was nothing like it is today, was actually really bland and looked a lot like the old windows mobile interface but with a notification center and a maps app. Didn't even have a touch interface to my recollection. Them the iPhone was unveiled and I lost all interest in android. It was only a matter of time before android was revamped and became an iOS clone.
    I don't see how anyone can argue that. Sure android did debut some features first and continue to have some exclusive ones as well. But the broad strokes of the operating systems look and feel all came from apple.

Thanks

What originality has Google brought to the cell phone arena? I personally cannot think of one single thing. I had the G1. The only thing I liked was the Qwerty keyboard but BB and SideKicks already had that. Also, Google honcho's admit above that there flagship model was going to be BB like before the initial iPhone dropped. That tells me that Google has no real ideas of their own. They just copy what is "Hot" at the time. If they continued to copy BB models..well you get the point...hahaha!

If you've ever seen the pre-iPhone prototype before the iPhone launch it's pretty clear that Google pivoted their design after the iPhone, and also clear they basically copying Blackberry up until that point.

Google was never really interested in making something amazing and groundbreaking They were only interested in making something they could sell to enough people get harvest a lot of personal data for their real line of business: ad sales. That's what it's all about!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But the nail in the coffin for Apple that allowed Android to take over market share - was the closed platform and refusal of Apple to go larger screen.
    Not really. The only reason Android grew so quickly was because manufacturers started slapping it on super-cheap and free phones. And unlike Apple, they bent to every command of every carrier to get their phone out on as many carriers as possible (including spy software). It's the same story with tablets. Notice how much slower Android is to catch up with tablet sales? That's because Apple learned and started offering older models as "budget" models and they didn't have the carrier disadvantage. But Apple is still losing the marketshare war only because they still don't have a truly budget tablet. That's where android is winning.

But despite losing marketshare on phones and tablet, Apple's actual year over years sales volumes are still growing, so who cares? They weren't going after the budget crowd to begin with, so no point in feeling hurt about those people going out and buying a different tablet. Mercedes doesn't feel any pain when Joe Sixpack making $30k a year buys a Corolla.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Not really. The only reason Android grew so quickly was because manufacturers started slapping it on super-cheap and free phones. And unlike Apple, they bent to every command of every carrier to get their phone out on as many carriers as possible (including spy software). It's the same story with tablets. Notice how much slower Android is to catch up with tablet sales? That's because Apple learned and started offering older models as "budget" models and they didn't have the carrier disadvantage. But Apple is still losing the marketshare war only because they still don't have a truly budget tablet. That's where android is winning.

But despite losing marketshare on phones and tablet, Apple's actual year over years sales volumes are still growing, so who cares? They weren't going after the budget crowd to begin with, so no point in feeling hurt about those people going out and buying a different tablet. Mercedes doesn't feel any pain when Joe Sixpack making $30k a year buys a Corolla.
    Good points, all. Screen size and closed platform are also major players in the equation if you do a little reading on the topic which it sure sounds like you have..

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

This is so stupid. They are phones. Pure and simple. Get over it. So apple had a great idea and someone said hey that's great here's our take on it. So what. All tvs turn on! They all have remotes. They are all flat! OMG THIS IS CRAZY SOMEONE CALL MODMY!!! U guys better thank android because competition makes innovation and that's a fact jack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (12-21-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then, thank you Android
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    If you've ever seen the pre-iPhone prototype before the iPhone launch it's pretty clear that Google pivoted their design after the iPhone, and also clear they basically copying Blackberry up until that point.

Google was never really interested in making something amazing and groundbreaking They were only interested in making something they could sell to enough people get harvest a lot of personal data for their real line of business: ad sales. That's what it's all about!

You got that right!

Apple didn't invent the cellphone, they copied it. They realised the exploding cellphone market was a massive cash cow, and made a phone of their own. Whoop dee do. People have been making and receiving phone calls long before $teve Jobs was getting his knickers in a twist over an irrationally placed sense of ownership.

It's completely obvious that Android was a direct steal and not "already on the drawing board".. The first quote there makes that clear that they reworked everything about the Sooner to make the G1 release with a "stolen" GUI.

But in the end - it's Androids "open" platform that made it an initial hit along with the "anything but Apple" sentiment that's always out there.

But Android fragmentation is unbearable. Even the most committed newly anti-iPhone person would never want to jump ship.. If you do -- you'll be back.. I was carrying an iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 and Note2 around all together for a month.. Really, really learned Android.. After 30 days.. Returned S3 and Note2.. Never to return. As frustrated as I am with apples closed platform it's simply the best product out there bar none. That's my "objective" conclusion after using all three products.
    Agreed 100% Couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scheuerle View Post
    Apple didn't invent the cellphone, they copied it. They realised the exploding cellphone market was a massive cash cow, and made a phone of their own. Whoop dee do. People have been making and receiving phone calls long before $teve Jobs was getting his knickers in a twist over an irrationally placed sense of ownership.
    I don't know if you have noticed, but making phone calls on phones has become a almost secondary function. Apple did that, and Google, Microsoft and others have taken that first step and created the world we live in today. It changed the way we all do things and has influenced almost everything and everyone in our culture. You want a phone that just makes calls I hear those old Razors have very good reception. Have fun trying to get anything else done in the world we live in today with that though.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (12-21-2013), NewdestinyX (12-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't know if you have noticed, but making phone calls on phones has become a almost secondary function. Apple did that, and Google, Microsoft and others have taken that first step and created the world we live in today. It changed the way we all do things and has influenced almost everything and everyone in our culture. You want a phone that just makes calls I hear those old Razors have very good reception. Have fun trying to get anything else done in the world we live in today with that though.
    Very well stated, Simon. Until you just wrote that, I hadn't much thought about how little I actually talk on a phone anymore. The vast majority of my communications are text or email or face to face. Fascinating.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Simon (12-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

Very well stated, Simon. Until you just wrote that, I hadn't much thought about how little I actually talk on a phone anymore. The vast majority of my communications are text or email or face to face. Fascinating.
    I know right. Take a second and just look around your house or watch some current tv shows. Then think back about how the little things in them have changed in the last 10 years and how the iPhone can be tracked back in some way as the root of so many of them. Shoot, my tv remote even has a touch screen, icon based UI lol.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (12-21-2013)

I know right. Take a second and just look around your house or watch some current tv shows. Then think back about how the little things in them have changed in the last 10 years and how the iPhone can be tracked back in some way as the root of so many of them. Shoot, my tv remote even has a touch screen, icon based UI lol.
    Indeed. Again I say.. "Fascinating!". My mind is blown.

Jobs/Apple has been changing the way we do life for 3 decades. Amazing.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 Times in 6,153 Posts

Well put Simon. It was like someone flipped on the switch, and the world I live totally changed.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (12-21-2013), Simon (12-21-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast