+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nintendo Reportedly "Experimenting" with Smartphones and Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Nintendo Reportedly "Experimenting" with Smartphones and Tablets

Nintendo, once the king of mobile gaming, has found itself struggling with the rise of smartphones. Although the company’s 3DS portable console can’t be claimed as a total flop, it’s certainly not as popular as Nintendo’s previous iterations of the console like the DS or the GameBoy. It’s easy to see why though as most people seem to have a perfectly good gaming device in their pockets all the time now in the form of their smartphone. People no longer need to buy or carry around an entirely separate device dedicated to gaming.

There have been several critics who have suggested that Nintendo can give up making hardware and instead just start releasing games based on its prize characters such as Mario, Link and Kirby as iOS apps. The advice is short-sighted but it doesn’t mean that Nintendo can’t leverage Apple’s iOS platform, which is exactly what the company seems to have in mind. In a recent interview with Reggie Fils-Aime, the President of Nintendo America, Aime’s said that the company was “experimenting” with mobile platforms. He mentioned the following regarding the matter:

We recognize that there are a lot of smartphones and tablets out there, and so what we’re doing is we’re being very smart in how we use these devices as marketing tools for our content. We’re also doing a lot of experimentation of what I would call the little experiences you can have on your smartphone and tablet that will drive you back to your Nintendo hardware. It’s largely going to be much more marketing activity-oriented, but we’ve done little things where there’s some element of gameplay – a movement, a shaking, something like that.
    What this basically means is that we shouldn’t expect a full Mario game on the iOS platform but we can expect Nintendo to release marketing tie-ins for upcoming 3DS and Wii U games, such as a Mario endless runner for example.

Although you may be left wanting more from Nintendo when it comes to mobile gaming on other mobile platforms, you have to keep in mind that in many ways, Nintendo is Japan’s Apple. The company tightly integrates hardware and software to create a magical experience. Telling Nintendo to give up on hardware is comparable to telling Apple to license the iOS platform and stop making iPhones. That being said, Nintendo does need to take advantage of and leverage today’s world which is saturated with smartphones and it seems like the company is finally hopping on the bandwagon which is headed in the right direction.

Source: King5

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Crossing my fingers for a Zelda game on my iPad!!!!
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They should just turn 3ds into a phone and have downloadable games. I would buy one for sure.

Or sell full games for the apple and android, windows companies. I'm pretty sure people would buy them more then having to buy a 3ds

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

Viable about 10 years ago

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Producing hardware shows the world they're a dedicated manufacturer focused on gaming.
    Once they stop that, they're just another name rather than a 'platform'.
    I'm not a gamer and never owned a dedicated gaming device - but that's my take from outside looking in.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They don't have to give up on hardware and just release to mobile platforms altogether. But what they should do is at least release their classic NES/SNES games to mobile platforms and PCs. They would make a killing on that, and it would probably entice more people to buy their newer consoles with some cross-marketing being done on the mobile platforms.

Tons of people play illegal copies of their old game on emulators. If they were just selling those old games instead they would be cleaning up!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (12-19-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DieselVexx View Post
    Viable about 10 years ago
    Agreed! I mean is more than one way to get emulators and ROMS of all Nintendo games on your iPhone. With or without a JB. I've been playing all of these games for years and will continue to do so. Thanks Nintendo :}

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm thinking they should make their own gaming smartphone. I'd pay more than an iPhone for that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

If they started selling their games on ios, android, window smartphones - would the sheer volume of sales be enough to stop selling hardware altogether - or at least focus their hardware manufacturing down to just the console and leave the mobile to smartphones? Maybe they should create their own bluetooth controllers for smartphones and release their games along side them? It's already possible to play most of their classic games on smartphones using emulators and wiimotes (iOS7 Jailbreak - where are you!?!), so the technology is there. I know I would buy a TON of games if I could put them on my iPhone - and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thanks

Nintendo have been making games since 1889. I'm sure they will figure something out.

Thanks

Super mario 3 !!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

woah!!! Nintendo made games during the westerns??? They truly were ahead of their times.