Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Delta CEO States Phone Calls Aren't Welcome on Delta Flights Despite the FCC's Decision

Thanks

Default Delta CEO States Phone Calls Aren't Welcome on Delta Flights Despite the FCC's Decision

While the FCC continues to move toward ending the ban on in-flight cellphone usage, there’s still one obstacle that stands in the way: the airlines. Delta CEO Richard Anderson doesn’t appear to care what the FCC decides. As far as he is concerned Delta is still a no-fly zone for personal cell calls and to spice things up, his reasoning isn’t that farfetched. He recently sent out a company-wide memo where he laid out his vision for the future and it’s not as unfriendly to your phone as you might expect. Once the FCC ban is lifted, travelers will be given access to text, email, and communicate however they wish to silently. According to him, Delta will only draw the line at talking on the phone and they are simply doing this because it is what the customers wanted.

Anderson cited a 2012 survey the airline took about cell usage mentioning the following:

... a clear majority of customers who responded to a 2012 survey said they felt the ability to make voice calls onboard would detract from – not enhance – their experience. Delta employees, particularly our in-flight crews, have told us definitively that they are not in favor of voice calls onboard.
    The airline seems to have a point as I’m sure you have all had to sit through a frustrating experience with others talking loudly on their phones. The rules simply don’t exist to deal with the considerate majority; rather they exist because of the people who would like to shout into their phones for an entire six-hour flight complaining about things you could really care less about. With all the other numerous factors when it comes to flying, it’s nice to see one area where comfort is taken into consideration at no extra cost.

Those of you interested in reading the full memo Anderson sent out to his company can do so below:

Last week the U.S. Federal Communications Commission voted to seek public comment in consideration of lifting its ban on in-flight cell phone use. Delta will not allow cellular calls or internet-based voice communications onboard Delta or Delta Connection flights.

Our customer research and direct feedback tell us that our frequent flyers believe voice calls in the cabin would be a disruption to the travel experience. In fact, a clear majority of customers who responded to a 2012 survey said they felt the ability to make voice calls onboard would detract from – not enhance – their experience. Delta employees, particularly our in-flight crews, have told us definitively that they are not in favor of voice calls onboard.

Delta has moved quickly when technological and regulatory breakthroughs provide opportunities to make flying better for our customers. That is why we were the first to file our plan with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration to allow customers to use portable electronic devices below 10,000 feet. Similarly, if the FCC lifts its ban on cellular use in flight, Delta will move quickly to enable customers to use text, email and other silent data transmission services gate to gate.

Even as technology advances and as regulations are changed, we will not only consider what we can do, but as importantly we will also consider what is right for our customers and our employees. This is yet another example of how we continue to have your back and how we also rely on your professionalism and experience to guide our actions and decisions.

Thanks for all you do every day for our customers, our colleagues and our business.
    Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Agree. Better be cautious than sorry.

In Japan, it frowned upon greatly to use your cellphone for calls on public transport - I think we should all adopt this attitude. However, texting and browsing the internet / etc. on my device, now that I would like

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SupaMonkey For This Useful Post:

ChicagoV (12-19-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

What a load of crap! For decades we have been able to use a credit and make a call from the plane at a high cost per minute, but now that those fees won't apply it's been decided that such a thing ought not to be allowed for the sake of the people on board? Hah!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (12-19-2013), King_O_Hill (12-19-2013)

Good.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

"Detract from...the airline experience" zero minus a negative should be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    What a load of crap! For decades we have been able to use a credit and make a call from the plane at a high cost per minute, but now that those fees won't apply it's been decided that such a thing ought not to be allowed for the sake of the people on board? Hah!
    This is probably closer to the truth!

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

How many times have you EVER seen anyone using the on-board phone? I've never seen it once. Talking on those was never an issue because who could ever afford to do it for more than a minute? Now, imagine unleashing the freedom for every cell-phone owning person on a flight to make calls at their leisure. It would be ridiculous.

True, but at those rates I doubt long pointless calls would be made. This prices are what has kept this annoyance from flights. I don't what to hear your call to your wife or kids or other pointless BS while i am trapped in a small space and cannot escape it. People are rude. And not just a few….most!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Between us speaking, I recommend to you to look in google.com
    You are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.