+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carriers Agree on Policies for 'Unlocking' Mobile Devices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Beeb Because anyone can sign the 2 year contract, get the latest iphone, unlock it, then end contract by paying early termination fees. You will end up
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
    Because anyone can sign the 2 year contract, get the latest iphone, unlock it, then end contract by paying early termination fees. You will end up with a major profit which can easily pay off the termination fee. Now guess who loses because I didn't continue the two year contract will pays for the phone at the end of the two years with the high phone bills.
    i understand some people would try to profit from this and just pay the etf and sell the phone unlocked. att should just increase the etf from $325 to $450 to offset there loss. problem solved hopefully att would satisfy loyal subscribers with subsidized phones who would want to travel and still cover there losses if the customer opt's for the etf.

example:
    16g 5s = $649 (no contract, unlocked)

16 6s = $199 + new etf ($450) = $649

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I guess they're concerned about fraud. They must believe that there's a percentage of people who'd take an unlocked device, sell it as new and default on the contract without paying a brass farthing.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    I guess they're concerned about fraud. They must believe that there's a percentage of people who'd take an unlocked device, sell it as new and default on the contract without paying a brass farthing.
    Correct. Unfortunately, AT&T won't fix this situation the right way, e.g., AT&T could choose to blacklist the IMEI but they won't (they've resisted this for the longest time). It's the same issue when a phone gets stolen (which is far more common than customers defaulting on contract payments). AT&T doesn't care about the theft - as long as the phone continues to be used on their network, they can continue to generate revenue from it. It required Apple to implement an iTunes-linked activation lock in iOS 7 to address this. That is one feature I sincerely applaud Apple for - check out the number of useless bricks being sold on Craigslist and eBay these days. Bad news for the carriers, but good news for the honest consumer :-)

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12