+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How BlackBerry Lost Bieber Fever to Apple's iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default How BlackBerry Lost Bieber Fever to Apple's iPhone

A fascinating exposť on the rise and fall of BlackBerry in BusinessWeek today illustrates how the iPhone, and not BlackBerry, ultimately won the heart of Justin Bieber.

Why does this matter? To BlackBerry it matters a great deal, mostly because of the missed opportunity the company now reflects upon.

As it turns out, some time ago, Justin Bieber wanted to be BlackBerry's "brand ambassador," says Vincent Washington, a senior business development manager at BlackBerry (from 2001 through 2011).

Before blowing up as one of today's biggest celebrity superstars, Justin Bieber wanted $200,000 to be a BlackBerry poster boy. But the company - then known as RIM - declined.

"One thing we missed out on," Washington admitted in the new BusinessWeek report, "was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, 'Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I'm your brand ambassador,' basically. And we pitched that to marketing: Here's a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, 'This kid is a fad. He's not going to last.' I said at the meeting: 'This kid might outlive RIM.' Everyone laughed."

Since then, Bieber has gone on to announce to his millions of followers on Twitter and Instagram that he really enjoys his iPhone 5.

And Apple didn't pay him a penny to say that.

Source: BusinessWeek

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares? It's Justin Beiber. Ain't no one buying an iPhone just cause he said he liked it. Just like no one would buy a black berry because he said he liked it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Who cares? It's Justin Beiber. Ain't no one buying an iPhone just cause he said he liked it. Just like no one would buy a black berry because he said he liked it.
    It's just another reason why BB failed. They obviously can't recognize what's trending and what isn't. Bieber stardom died a long time ago so to blame their bankruptcy on that shows how clueless they really were!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't feel bad BlackBerry, not even Bieber Fever could sell your devices to not business people. In fact, in hindsight using a BlackBerry would have made Bieber un-hip and no one would listen to his music.

Thanks

I can imagine all those 9yo walking round with their pink 8520's lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

You have no idea how well this works, especially on a younger more easily influenced audience.

Thanks

i sort of bought a smart car because of biebs, now i have 2 smarts, greatest little car do not regret it

Thanks

Hell, give me $200,000 and I'll represent anything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paulsquaredson For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (12-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    I can imagine all those 9yo walking round with their pink 8520's lol
    That is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The kid might be a fad but the same can now be said of BB. The point the guy was making is his marketing people are clueless and they missed out on an easy to influence demographic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Obvious you haven't a 14 year old daughter. A piece of string marketed by Beiber and my daughter would insist I buy it

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how because you dont care. That automatically means no one else cares. Clearly you have no grip on how big this kid is, and how much he affects teens lives. Man when we was caught smoking weed all these videos went online of girls cutting there wrists until he stopped smoking weed.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    It's just another reason why BB failed. They obviously can't recognize what's trending and what isn't. Bieber stardom died a long time ago so to blame their bankruptcy on that shows how clueless they really were!
    Wait, Beiber had stardom?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Wait, Beiber had stardom?
    LOL! I know, right! Apparently he became 'something' or else we'd know nothing about that kid.