+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Touch ID Technology is Reportedly Losing Accuracy Over Time for Some Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default Apple's Touch ID Technology is Reportedly Losing Accuracy Over Time for Some Users

Along with every one of Apple’s iPhone 5s handsets comes a new technology known as Touch ID, which allows the user to verify their identity through the use of their fingerprint. The verification method can be used for both unlocking the device, as well as confirming purchases from the App Store.

While the new technology is interesting to see in the everyday mobile devices that we use, is it possible that the technology is just too far ahead of it's time?

According to multiple iPhone 5s users, the accuracy of Apple's Touch ID technology reportedly degrades over time forcing them to constantly have to re-calibrate their fingerprint scanners. Apple's support forums are filled with issues concerning the matter.

Apple device user Dr. Drang recently made a post about the matter hoping to reach out to those on the Internet experiencing the same issue:

I’ve been using Touch ID since I got an iPhone 5s in mid-October. Generally speaking, I like it, and I find it faster than the old swipe-and-passcode method, but I’ve felt compelled to reteach it my fingerprints twice already. I know this sounds impossible, but its recognition of my prints seems to decay with time.

I rescanned my fingers this weekend, and Touch ID has been amazingly fast and accurate since then. Just as it was when I first got the 5s, and just as it was a few weeks later when I rescanned my fingers for the first time. Just before each rescan, though, I was so frustrated with Touch ID I felt like throwing the phone across the room.
    It’s unknown what could be causing the inaccuracy for users, but there are a bunch of possibilities. For example, perhaps there is a bug in the fingerprint recognition software, or perhaps our fingerprints make the reader dirty and make it more difficult for our fingerprints to be recognized. Whatever the cause, it's certain that the feature is causing unnecessary frustration among a number of users.

If you have an iPhone 5s, are you noticing that the software doesn't always pick up your fingerprint?

Sources: BGR

Thanks

Every once in awhile it won't recognize my prints. But after putting in the password to access my iPhone, and then locking it back, it works again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah I find it hard for it to with a finger covered in cheese cake

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sometimes it won’t even read a finger for me, i have to use the passcode, then if i shut the screen off again it’ll read my finger. Also, I keep having to put my password in for iTunes purchases. I have the password part turned on and every time it says i need to confirm password to use fingerprint to purchase from the store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

That's what happens when you buy new tech like this. Always wait man the iPhone 6 will hammer out the problems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

ChicagoV (12-05-2013), Dphillipds (12-06-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i have the same problems with mine 5s... its quite sad that we have to scan fingerprints after 7 days again and again

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought it was just me, noticed it was taking longer than usual to get back in. I too have had to use the pass code to get in on occasion after losing patience.

Thanks
    Me too. Thats annoying.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Does no one factor in the fact that things can happen to your thumbprint over time? By this i don't mean changing as much as getting wear and tear on different days. Oils often affect it too. And often the orientation you use to open your iphone changes. When I originally had the iphone 5s I expected certain parts of my thumb needing to be read a lot more when scanning (e.g. the bottom or top or certain sides) however now I am more aquainted with using the top portion when I expected to be using the bottom. Which would cause reason to re-add prints. I just wish it would improve over time, I don't think it does and I think anyone who says it does, doesn't actually know if it does from any reliable source. Unless apple says it I think that's just people thinking they would add that feature, I'm assuming they will but 5s wise I think it's too early. But anyway still works great, and adding a freshprint does help because I think orientation has a lot to do with it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (12-06-2013), PokemonDesigner (12-05-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I like how the article says support forums are FILLED with complaints, but when Apple acknowledges the issue they'll say that it's a "very limited" number.

Thanks

I have had the same issue. Sometimes it works and other times i have to touch the sensor multiple times. I would have to agree with Mrteacup..good points there.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Has happened to me on occasion. Usually when either I have been working and hands get a little dirty or the button itself gets some smudges etc. Normally a little wipe with a tissue or even my shirt gets touch id working fine again.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (12-05-2013), PokemonDesigner (12-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree with Mrteacup,

At home the touch Id works perfectly for me, but when I'm at work on a building site, dry, dusty environment, the touch Id works less and less.
    A quick lick of my thumb to moisten the skin and the touch id works again.
    Obviously it's my dry thumb causing the problem for me!

Solution:
    1, Scan my fingerprint in normal environment.
    2, Scan same fingerprint in dry dusty environment.

Seems to work for me!

Also noticed I got a small bit of skin peeling off one of my fingerprints and it would no longer scan. Maybe the touch id is more sensitive then first thought?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,007 Posts

Same problems here. I've noticed, though, that it's always my thumb and I believe it's due to my print constantly changing since I work with my hands a lot. My thumb is constantly scratched, cracked, etc. which eventually heals but it's never going to be a perfect print.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

Always been fine for me, if anything I slightly misplace my finger and of course it doesn't work... But that's my fault
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cookbenj For This Useful Post:

Sage I (12-05-2013)

Thanks

Keep it simple... I just scan the Butler's fingerprints and then let him deal with it when it don't work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone TwistedSoul's Avatar
    Thanks

My first 5s had serious issues with it but now with 2 months on my replacement 32gb it's super fast and never skips a beat. Sometimes when I want to use control center from the home screen I can't because just pressing the home button and releasing unlocks my phone. I find myself using the power button to wake the lock screen more often as sometimes I don't wanna open my phone to use control panel and turn of blue tooth or wi-do etc.

Mind you I've had my replacement 5s with the same scans for almost 2 months now

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

No issues here Even have the timing down, so when I press the home button, the Touch ID sensor reads my print almost at the same time, my phone open right up in one smooth motion :P

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Sage I (12-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    That's what happens when you buy new tech like this. Always wait man the iPhone 6 will hammer out the problems.
    The 6 will likely come with more new tech than an s model. You can't wait forever.

About the OP, though, I certainly haven't noticed any degradation in the ability of my 5s to recognize prints. I also don't know why anyone would want to destroy their phone just because they had to set up the prints a couple times.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (12-05-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright. Here is how you fix it. You scan your two most important fingers when they are in decent conditions, not terrible with skin peeling or great when you have the healthiest skin ever. And you do it in a decent environment where the moisture on your fingers is decent, not soggy or dry. Then, if it stops working, clean the sensor with a soft cloth to make sure it isn't oily. Also clean your finger on your shirt or jeans. Boom. Your sensor is working like brand new. If it stops working after a few weeks, rescan. It's usually completely unnecessary though.