+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: In Your Face: Apple Wins Another Patent

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although many iPhone users are still swooning at the arrival of TouchID, Apple has designs on security that extend well-beyond finger print scanning. If Apple implements the technology envisioned in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default In Your Face: Apple Wins Another Patent

Although many iPhone users are still swooning at the arrival of TouchID, Apple has designs on security that extend well-beyond finger print scanning.

If Apple implements the technology envisioned in its latest patent (which was awarded to the Cupertino, California-based tech giant just today) the iPhone may one day be able to detect and recognize users' faces. The purpose? iPhone users would be able to unlock their devices or possibly even control other features just from the look on their face.

The patent details a system and method that would allow Apple devices to detect users' faces. The patent says Apple devices would be able to recognize if the users standing in front of the gadgets are "authorized." If they are, users could then control some aspects of their gadgets with just their faces.
    Today's news of Apple's latest patent comes on the heels of Apple's November acquisition of PrimeSense, a motion sensor maker with deep roots in Microsoft's Xbox Kinect. All told, these clues add up to suggest that Apple may be ready to use this technology very, very soon.

Source: LA Times

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Is that a 3GS in the Patent image???

Thanks

It sure does look like an iPhone 3GS model...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

I can't figure out what #204 is. Can anyone help?!?!

Trolololol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What's with always using "Cupertino, California-based tech giant" in these articles? I think their location and status has been well-established for some time now to the point where we don't constantly need to be reminded about it.

"Apple" will suffice. Kthx.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

vazzana (12-05-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How did apple win this patent.. Androids had this for years.. I'm not even an android fanboy I love apple, but this is pretty ridiculous. I guess based on the old drawing that users pointed out as a 3gs looking model (doesn't even have a front facing camera.. o.O) this may have been an older submission. Either way however..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    How did apple win this patent.. Androids had this for years.. I'm not even an android fanboy I love apple, but this is pretty ridiculous. I guess based on the old drawing that users pointed out as a 3gs looking model (doesn't even have a front facing camera.. o.O) this may have been an older submission. Either way however..
    This patent was filed back in 2008 before the first Android phone was even available.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think i remember seeing a face recognition tweak in cydia. I forget what it's called though, but i doubt it's any good

Thanks

I have this on my computer. I was curious how secure it really was so I took a picture of myself with my iPhone and held it up to the camera. Sure enough it let me right in. Cool idea but questionable security.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    What's with always using "Cupertino, California-based tech giant" in these articles? I think their location and status has been well-established for some time now to the point where we don't constantly need to be reminded about it.
    Haha I was thinking the same thing. I'm Getting annoying how they refer to them like that.

But then again I know nothing about journalism and writing articles. So maybe there's a point to it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why is everyone thinking the picture is about the patent? Lol that phone does not even have a camera.

Thanks

Thanks for the knowledge Cokeman. Face recognition is really taking off. Especially with gaming. I feel you should be able to use voice recognition and have Siri open the phone as well. Im sure its in the works

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's a terrible idea. People could unlock my phone just by having printed out a picture of me and holding it infront of my phone.