+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Case of a Third-party iPhone Power Adapter Electrocution Reported

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There has been a lot of drama lately with third-party iOS device power adapters causing electrocutions. If that little brick didn’t come from a legitimate Apple-branded box, you may want
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

Default Another Case of a Third-party iPhone Power Adapter Electrocution Reported

There has been a lot of drama lately with third-party iOS device power adapters causing electrocutions. If that little brick didn’t come from a legitimate Apple-branded box, you may want to think twice about using it.

A new report reveals that a man in Thailand was killed by electrocution while using his iPhone 4S, which was charging using a third-party non-Apple branded power adapter. As MacRumors reports, the man was performing actions on his iPhone 4S during the course of it charging – the multitasking is likely what made the man unlucky.

Apple introduced a third-party iOS device power adapter takeback program in August in an attempt to try and keep these dangerous power adapters off of the streets. Many third-party manufacturers are not careful when producing their Apple look-alikes, and don’t take the safety steps necessary to ensure that the power adapter is safe for people to use.

Two other major electrocutions have been documented (1), (2), illustrating that the problem with third-party iOS device power adapters is very real.

To be safe, all users should ensure that the power adapter they're going to use is one of Apple's own. While they may cost more, they're certainly safer.

Sources: Daily News Thailand Translated via MacRumors

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Did anyone notice that these were all in mass producing Asian countries? Not one came from an American company or were anywhere outside of Asia. It's because it's cheap and s***ily made. Not some decent quality like American companies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

xWalmartCandyx (11-28-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Exactly, Pokemon Designer. I never had issues with a third party charger. For me, it was never about the price. I want Apple to have variety in their charger selections. Retractable, colored, long instead of the same boring white.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Did anyone notice that these were all in mass producing Asian countries? Not one came from an American company or were anywhere outside of Asia. It's because it's cheap and s***ily made. Not some decent quality like American companies.
    Your joking right? Have you looked on the bottom of just about every device you own. Now where does it say its made? I bet 99% of them ARN'T made in USA, except for that gun next to you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smith01 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (12-01-2013), Schnedi (11-28-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    Your joking right? Have you looked on the bottom of just about every device you own. Now where does it say its made? I bet 99% of them ARN'T made in USA, except for that gun next to you.
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

What a sad way to gi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,805 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    What a sad way to gi
    Train Bjj?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to H3ATEDSS For This Useful Post:

novadam (11-29-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Never a problem with my third party chargers I have several home,car and at my office sounds like someone may have been using a cable that was damaged threw misuse it is not god for a cable when you crumple it up and stuff it into a pocket or wrap it so tightly around your hand after time something is going to break down my kids have don this numerous times with the factory Apple chargers for iPods and I phones just visually in spent the cables once in a while.

j4j
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Made in china and imported to usa is another different thing, and make in china and sell in asia is different.

We always get the best quality here in state.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I bought an adapter from Job Lots. It had two USB and two plug outlets. My girlfriend said she got "shocked" by it twice. I checked and got electrocuted! It was giving off 80v on the grounding side of the cable. Better be careful what you use if it isn't apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

While that may be true, products made overseas for the USA need to meet certain quality control measures to allow them for sale in the USA. Obviously they don't care about human safety in Asian countries. Asian countries can make quality stuff if it's mandated but usually the only mandate is to make a profit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Kinda off-topic but what's that backcover for the iPhone in the picture? Been looking for one of those for ages now!

Thanks

Touching the prongs after unplugging could yield a small shock from capacitor discharge.... Very likely. But electrocution? Give me a frickin break with this BS! Maybe if you're buck a** naked, standing up to your knees in tub water, sopping wet, and stick the connector under your tongue, maybe then you could get electrocuted. What a huge load of crap!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Touching the prongs after unplugging could yield a small shock from capacitor discharge.... Very likely. But electrocution? Give me a frickin break with this BS! Maybe if you're buck a** naked, standing up to your knees in tub water, sopping wet, and stick the connector under your tongue, maybe then you could get electrocuted. What a huge load of crap!
    Where did it say anything about touching the prongs?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Apple did not make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Im sry but if you buy a ford that looks like a chevy and the gas tank exsplodes you dont sue chevy. They did not commit the error.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a couple that make my phone go crazy. Like it has a mind of it's own. Guess I'll throw them out now...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dagogol View Post
    Kinda off-topic but what's that backcover for the iPhone in the picture? Been looking for one of those for ages now!
    It's actually a screen protector. I sell them at my shop. People love them. They have them cheap on eBay.

http://bit.ly/1b4Smd0
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

You get what you pay for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default StaffXperts Executive Search Firm
    Have you looked on the bottom of just about every device you own. Now where does it say its made? I bet 99% of them ARN'T made in USA, except for that gun next to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by medstaffxperts View Post
    Have you looked on the bottom of just about every device you own. Now where does it say its made? I bet 99% of them ARN'T made in USA, except for that gun next to you.
    Ironically if you want one that doesn't jam, buy Austrian.