Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Juror Credits CPA Witness for Helping Make the Winning Argument in Damages Retrial

Thanks

Default Juror Credits CPA Witness for Helping Make the Winning Argument in Damages Retrial

Apple’s expert witness on damages, a certified public accountant from Chicago, was the person who apparently sealed the Cupertino California company’s victory in its patent infringement retrial against Samsung. Jury forewoman Colleen Allen spoke with Bloomberg after the trial concluded and revealed that it was CPA Julie L. Davis who provided the strongest evidence to justify a $290 million payout to Apple. Allen called Davis a “superstar witness” stating she was “on it” and steady when cross examined.

Allen’s thoughts were echoed by fellow juror Barry Goldman-Hall, who mentioned that it was Davis who helped determine exactly how much money Apple should be awarded. A major point of contention for the jury was a sum of $178 million that Samsung felt should be subtracted from profits of more than $230 million attributable to the South Korean company’s infringing products. Allen felt none of the money should come out but other jurors disagreed and the group compromised by cutting the sum in half.

After being in deliberation for two days, the jury decided to award Apple $290 million in damages from Samsung in return for the company copying patented software and hardware. The decision is considered a major win for Apple which was seeking to collect $380 million in the retrial, whereas Samsung felt it owed just $53 million.

It should be noted that Apple has won more than $900 million in damages from Samsung to date over the infringement of five patents related to the iPhone and iPad. Key evidence from Apple showed how Samsung’s smartphone and tablet designs changed radically to mimic Apple after the launch of the first iPhone in 2007 and the iPad in 2010.

Although the jury’s decision has been made, legal squabbles between Samsung and Apple appear to be far from over, with the two companies set to appear before Judge Lucy Koh once again in March. At that hearing, the two tech giants will argue over accusations of patent infringement in newer smartphone models including the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Big victory. It's just too bad they can't just stop. What most people who rip on Apple don't realize is, they very well not be able to stop, legally speaking. If they stop pursuing these legal battles with Samsung that can results in millions or billions of dollars in damages, the shareholders could actually sue Apple for not doing everything they can to pursue it. And they would likely win!

This is capitalism at it's finest, folks. Chase that dollar by any means necessary at any moral cost. Only the dollar matters. Nothing else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

This is simply pathetic!

Apple seem to be winning an awful lot against Samsung, I call shenanigans

Edit: I think any disputes between Apple and Samsung need to be held in an impartial country next time
    Last edited by dsg; 11-23-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

One juror only helped sway a portion of the awarded money, not the actual decision.

Ha, you changed your post just before I posted.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-23-2013)

yeah I did I thought about what I'd said and how stupid it was
    Last edited by dsg; 11-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Big victory. It's just too bad they can't just stop. What most people who rip on Apple don't realize is, they very well not be able to stop, legally speaking. If they stop pursuing these legal battles with Samsung that can results in millions or billions of dollars in damages, the shareholders could actually sue Apple for not doing everything they can to pursue it. And they would likely win!
    Unlikely.
    Corporate strategy is not quite as jam-today as you suggest.
    Apple does not litigate for cash or morality, but for reach and publicity.

When are people gonna start suing Apple for their stolen ideas?

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    When are people gonna start suing Apple for their stolen ideas?
    Apparently you have proof and evidence of this?

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-24-2013)

iOS 7, and a horrible job at it.