Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Revises its Policies to Allow Trade-Ins for Water Damaged Devices

Thanks

Default Apple Revises its Policies to Allow Trade-Ins for Water Damaged Devices

In a recent change to its Reuse and Recycling program policies, the Cupertino California company is now allowing customers to trade in devices that have been exposed to water or other liquids. It should be noted that prices can be affected by over $100 in some cases, depending on the water damages.

For its Reuse and Recycling Program, Apple seems to have partnered with PowerON to buy used iPhones, iPads and Macs as well as other non-Apple products. Some of you may already know, until the recent policy changes, devices with liquid damage were not accepted by Apple. This particular restriction has now been lifted though restricts of liquid contact can substantially detract from a device’s value.

An example of the situation would include a good AT&T 64 GB black iPhone 5 going for $350 without water damage but going for $230 with water damage. The lower price is to obviously be expected as recyclers are taking a risk in buying back a damaged item.

Apple urges customers to assess their own devices by checking a liquid contact indicator which is usually located in the bottom of the headphone jack. If the indicator is activated, the normally white or silver tab will turn to a red or pink color. The indicator is positioned on the bottom of the dock connector housing for the iPhone 3G and later as well as for iPads. The only exception is the iPhone 5, which has the indicator placed in the SIM card tray instead.

How do you feel about Apple’s revision of their Reuse and Recycling Program?

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

This is good that there now accepting water damaged iPhones but wouldn't that still be like owning your damaged iPhone?? Also what would the warranty on these be? I mean if they give you more then a 30day warranty maybe like a 90day warranty wouldn't be to bad at least.

a small dab of bleach will eliminate the pink dots

The article ignores the fact that Apple's devices have multiple external and internal sensors and gives a list that is very misleading. For example, the iPhone 3G, has one in the headphone jack and the dock connector.

There are also at least two more inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysias55 View Post
    a small dab of bleach will eliminate the pink dots
    Not always true. I couldn't eliminate it on an iPhone 3 headphone jack that way. All I could do was make it less red. It makes sense because that particular indicator is half exposed and half under a clear Window to discern between internal and external water contamination (warranty was at their discretion, regardless). Also tested some internal sensors and it took enough bleach to separate the film from the backing before it started turning white.
    Last edited by CZroe; 11-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple has been accepting water damaged iphones for a while, at least here in Austin. I jumped in the lake over the summer with my 64gb 5. Even tried replacing the battery (didn't work for more than one backup). One of my friends who works at Apple suggested I just take it to the Apple store and they will replace it (not knowing that I already and unsuccessfully, replaced the battery). I never hid the fact that it soaked under water. Replaced it with a brand new one for around $230. This was back in May.

There is/might be a liquid contact indicator where the sim card goes (per the apple dude that swapped it for me)
    Last edited by Murphdog; 11-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.

You can buy packets of water damage strips on eBay if you can dismantle your phone to replace them....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    The article ignores the fact that Apple's devices have multiple external and internal sensors and gives a list that is very misleading. For example, the iPhone 3G, has one in the headphone jack and the dock connector.

There are also at least two more inside.

Not always true. I couldn't eliminate it on an iPhone 3 headphone jack that way. All I could do was make it less red. It makes sense because that particular indicator is half exposed and half under a clear Window to discern between internal and external water contamination (warranty was at their discretion, regardless). Also tested some internal sensors and it took enough bleach to separate the film from the backing before it started turning white.
    Apple will NEVER open up your device on site to check the said "internal sensors". They'll simply examine the external sensors of the device and make an replacement decision.

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    Apple will NEVER open up your device on site to check the said "internal sensors". They'll simply examine the external sensors of the device and make an replacement decision.
    Like I said: it ignores the fact that there are multiple EXTERNAL sensors in the models they listed only one. I only listed the others for completeness sake.

That said, they opened an iPhone 3G right in front of me and saw the charred insides.