Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gartner: Good News and Bad News for Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Gartner: Good News and Bad News for Apple

On one hand, Apple's global iPhone shipments jumped 23% over the same quarter last year. But on the other, Apple's total share of the worldwide smartphone market fell as a direct result of intense competition from Android inside of fast-growing markets like China.

This information was published Thursday by the team at Gartner.

According to the report, the price difference between the iPhone 5c and 5s is simply "not enough" in mature markets, where prices are skewed by operator subsidies, to drive users away from the top of the line model.

"In emerging markets," Gartner adds, "the iPhone 4S will continue to be the volume driver at the low end as the lack of subsidy in most markets leaves the iPhone 5c too highly priced to help drive further penetration."

Overall, global smartphone sales remain strong. In fact, smartphones represented 55 percent of overall mobile phone sales in the third quarter of 2013. In the process, smartphone reached "their highest share to date."

To review these and other findings from Gartner, click here.

Source: Gartner

Banned
    Thanks

I dont know what apple was thinking (besides getting more of your money) when they released the 5C., I mean really, was it necessary as an "entry" level phone? spec wise its mid-range but price wise it is not.

Why not just let previous years model be the budget phone?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    I dont know what apple was thinking (besides getting more of your money) when they released the 5C., I mean really, was it necessary as an "entry" level phone? spec wise its mid-range but price wise it is not.

They pretty much did. The 5C is the 5 with some plastic and color. Could of been cheaper price wise though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I completely agree..Apple has made enough money for sure. Probably its time to invest some money and resources on better things as Google(Glass and Driverless car project) is doing & if not that...they can atleast make the previous year models be the budget phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnapTap View Post
    I completely agree..Apple has made enough money for sure. Probably its time to invest some money and resources on better things as Google(Glass and Driverless car project) is doing & if not that...they can atleast make the previous year models be the budget phone.
    You count Google Glass as "better things"?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Google Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You count Google Glass as "better things"?
    Certainly...I had recently gone to Ladakh and the whole time I wished I had something that could keep my memory intact for lifelong. A single device that could see what I could see and where I could utter my feelings, without having to carry anything extra.

Apple has already lost the plot when they launched the 5C. Its like ferrari launching an entry level car to cope with competition.