+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Mac and iOS App Pair Let You Unlock Your Mac By Knocking on Your iOS Device

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For those that dread having to type in their password on their Mac to unlock their machine each time it locks up, there’s an app for that! A new application
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Mac and iOS App Pair Let You Unlock Your Mac By Knocking on Your iOS Device

For those that dread having to type in their password on their Mac to unlock their machine each time it locks up, there’s an app for that!

A new application pair for Mac OS X and iOS will allow the user to knock on their iOS device to unlock their Mac whenever it’s locked and the two devices are in close proximity. The application is called Knock, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 technology to let the Mac know that you’re authorizing the Mac to unlock.

Setting up the application pair is pretty simple. You will need to download the iOS application ($3.99 – App Store link) and download the Mac application (FREE – direct link) and install them on their proper devices. Once you're done, enable Bluetooth on both devices and follow the on-screen instructions on your Mac when you launch Knock. You will have to give Knock your administrator password on your Mac so that when you knock, it can automate the process of unlocking your Mac.

After you've set everything up, and Bluetooth is enabled, you will find a new icon in your Mac's Menu Bar, as shown below:

You will be able to invoke locking your Mac, quit the application, or unlink your iOS device that you have paired to your Mac.

From the iOS device that you're using, whenever you're in range of your Mac, and the Knock application sees that you are, you will get a banner notification or a lock screen notification, as shown in the first image of this writing, telling you that you can knock twice on your iOS device to unlock your Mac.

Notably, it doesn’t matter if your iOS device is unlocked or not, as long as the Knock application is running in the background. Knock uses a very low power draw through the use of Bluetooth 4.0, so the developers note that you won’t notice any battery drain no matter how much you use it.

Knock can only be used on the following iOS 7 devices:

• iPhone 4S or later
    • iPad (3rd generation) or later
    • iPad Mini and iPad Mini with Retina Display
    • iPad Air
    • iPod touch 5G

Knock can be used to unlock the following kinds of Macs:

• MacBook Air – 2011 or later
    • MacBook Pro – 2012 or later
    • iMac – 2013 or later
    • Mac Mini – 2011 or later

You can watch the Knock demonstration video below:

For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

It seems to be a really cool way to unlock your Mac, but for the amount of times you might actually use it throughout the day, the asking price might be a little steep. Will you be trying Knock out on your Mac?

Sources: App Store via Knock and 9to5Mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

$4.00? think I'll just type my password in... like the poor people!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcondemi For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (11-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think I'll continue using airlock that does the same thing but doesn't require me to touch the phone also

Green Apple
    Thanks

So cool yet so stupid

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh no! My password is like 8 keystrokes! How can I ever save the time and hustle of having to enter it😱

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Tried it, fun a few tumes, but annoying that you need to wake up the screen first by typing a key on your keyboard or mouse first. Also you need to knock on your phone realitively hard, would make me feel umcomfortable doing that all the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Where's The Clapper for Mac; we'll call it 'ClapMac!!'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

primalscream.40 (11-06-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric View Post
    I think I'll continue using airlock that does the same thing but doesn't require me to touch the phone also
    Any idea where I could download most recent airlock? I can only find v. 1.5b1 and it doesn't work with 10.8.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It works alright... thing is, if you close the app I also had to disable and reenable bluetooth. I think it's nice, but likely more of a gimmick.