+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'BetterWiFi' Gives You Many New Wi-Fi Features in iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default 'BetterWiFi' Gives You Many New Wi-Fi Features in iOS

For those looking to enhance the functionality of Wi-Fi on iOS devices, there’s a new jailbreak tweak for that. Dubbed BetterWiFi by iOS developer Simon Selg, this new jailbreak tweak gives your iOS device a number of new features for discovering Wi-Fi networks, and seeing information about them.

Many of the tweak’s major features are shown above. The tweak lets you filter Wi-Fi networks so that you will only see open or unsecured networks in your Wi-Fi list, which might be useful if you’re traveling abroad and know that you won’t have the passwords to secured networks. This helps un-clutter the list and let you choose the unsecured Wi-Fi network of your choice. You can also view all of the Wi-Fi networks' security modes, as well as signal strength in dBm.

In addition, if you want to refresh your list, rather than exiting the Wi-Fi preferences pane and re-entering it, you can use Pull to Refresh to re-scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks:

Notably, the tweak will also let you remove the signal limit that Apple puts on Wi-Fi networks, which gives you the capability to connect to Wi-Fi networks that are even further away. Also, BetterWiFi lets you designate certain Wi-Fi networks as home networks, and will disable your device's passcode lock whenever you're connected to them so that you don't have to enter them when you know you're in a location where no one is going to snag your iOS device and start going through your information:

BetterWiFi adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure the tweak's various options. You will be able to enable or disable open network filtering, choose to enable or disable pull to refresh, configure smart passcode locking, choose to remove Apple's RSSI signal limitations, choose to display security types, and choose to display signal strengths:

BetterWiFi adds a lot of features to iOS to make using Wi-Fi easier and more informative. The tweak is compatible with iOS 6 devices including the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. If you want to give BetterWiFi a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for $1.50.

Name: BetterWiFi
    Price: $1.50
    Version: 1.0.1
    Requirements: iOS 6.0+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Simon Selg
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My iPod won't to any "low" strength networks. It shows up on the list, but will only connect to networks with a strength of around -50 and above. Any fixes for that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    My iPod won't to any "low" strength networks. It shows up on the list, but will only connect to networks with a strength of around -50 and above. Any fixes for that?
    Dev here. That should be a normal behavior - on my iPhone it's the same way - it connects to some networks with a strength of -90, and refuses to connect so some with a strength of -60.

Your iPhone/iPod/iPad won't be able to connect to all of the displayed networks - but it should work with a -60 one. Try some other networks, if it still won't work send me an email.

Simon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon1602 For This Useful Post:

novadam (11-03-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like this idea for a tweek very much. Good job devs. Just can't wait for a 5S jailbreak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Idea
    Hi Simon!

Any chance you could add a feature for the device to connect to the strongest network on the home list (lowest RSSI)? I have two networks in my house depending on where I am. It would be nice to not have to manually change networks moving from one wing/floor/area to another.

Thanks!

Joe

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice, just bought it. This will replace CleverPin and do a lot more besides.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Yes, can someone make this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by STRKLDR View Post
    Hi Simon!

Any chance you could add a feature for the device to connect to the strongest network on the home list (lowest RSSI)? I have two networks in my house depending on where I am. It would be nice to not have to manually change networks moving from one wing/floor/area to another.

Thanks!

Joe
    I have been waiting for a feature like you have described for a very long time.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Best money I spent on a tweak in a very long time. Love it thank to very much. Finally git wifi sitting outside on my back patio.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STRKLDR View Post
    Hi Simon!

Thanks!

Joe
    I have been wanting this for a long time, or at least a quick way of selecting a different network.