Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Mavericks Said to Significantly Improve Battery Life for MacBooks

Thanks

Default OS X Mavericks Said to Significantly Improve Battery Life for MacBooks

In a lengthy detailed review of OS Mavericks, John Siracusa of Ars Technica conducted battery benchmark tests to measure the OS’ power saving features on both a 2007 MacBook Pro and a 2013 13.3-inch MacBook Air. While both systems saw notable battery gains from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, the 2013 MacBook Air in particular saw a rather impressive improvement of up to 30%, lasting for more than 15 hours in some instances.

Siracusa’s battery tests were conducted using OS X 10.8.5 and the GM build of Mavericks. He created a light web browsing and text-editing automation script, including websites that used Adobe’s Flash. In his tests, battery life varied significantly but proved on average, an increase of two hours of work time. He mentioned the following regarding the matter:

I suspect the aggressiveness of the auto-playing Flash ads that happen to be on specific websites on a particular day may partly explain the huge variability in Mountain Lion's numbers. Some of the lower-scoring Mountain Lion trials may have also had the bad luck to coincide with energy-intensive periodic jobs—jobs that are prevented from running on Mavericks due to AC power or battery-level restrictions as part of centralized task scheduling.

These tests may or may not be representative of how you use your Mac, but regardless, it's clear that Apple's efforts have not been in vain. Mavericks really does consume less energy than Mountain Lion when performing the same tasks.
    Apple has touted the power saving features bundled into Mavericks since its debut at WWDC, poising improved battery life as the keystone of the operating system. Mavericks is designed to cut down on CPU activity using Timer Coalescing, Compressed Memory and App Nap. While Timer Coalescing bundles low-level operations into a single batch action that reduces CPU utilization by up to 72%, App Nap cuts down on the power usage of apps that are not running in the foreground, reducing their overall power draw by up to 23%. Compressed Memory also works alongside these two features, compacting the least used processes so less time is spent reading and writing virtual memory swap files on disk, which in turn improves power consumption as well. There’s also a new power saving feature built directly into Safari called Power Saver. With Power Saver, Safari intelligently detects plug-in content playing in the margins of a website and pauses it, which helps preserve battery life as well.

For those of you who didn’t know, Mavericks is available as a free download from the Mac App Store and is a one-step update for all Mac users running OS X Snow Leopard and above. It can be installed on most computers made after 2007. As of recently, Mavericks adoption’ adoption hovered at approximately 7%.

Have you installed Mavericks? If so, have you noticed an improvement in your battery life?

Source: Ars Technica

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No noticeable battery improvement. Also, plagued with many bugs e.g. wifi drops, safari crashes and overall performance is slow. Major updates needed ASAP!

How well does mavericks work on a 2007 macbook pro?
    my partner has one thats currently on Snow Leopard. I upgraded it to 4Gb a couple of years ago, still chuggs along. is it worth upgrading ?

I've seen noticeable improvements in battery life on my '11 17" MacBook Pro. Mavericks is still a little buggy which will probably be fixed through updates but overall satisfy with the FREE upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    No noticeable battery improvement. Also, plagued with many bugs e.g. wifi drops, safari crashes and overall performance is slow. Major updates needed ASAP!
    funny seeing as I've had a massive improvement in battery life, no bugs and no drop in performance.

Do a fresh install, it may help you.

Tbh I've had the opposite effect on my MacBook Air 11" 2013 model :/ don't know if I've got something on it which is using too much

Anyone else experiencing hanging on shutdown using the power button now?

Shut down fine when using the menu, but when holding the power button for 2 seconds now to bring up the shut down options, it will hang

Quote Originally Posted by Conquest3.0 View Post
    Anyone else experiencing hanging on shutdown using the power button now?

Shut down fine when using the menu, but when holding the power button for 2 seconds now to bring up the shut down options, it will hang
    I am.
    When I click on the power button just to bring up the shutdown menu.
    The screen just goes blank.
    If I click it again. (the power button)
    The screen simply reappears or turns back on.
    As if its initiating a simple screen shutdown.
    Not a shutdown of the OS X.
    I'm on a 17" Macbook Pro.
    Thanks.
    Adam.

When I press the power button the display goes to sleep straight away, before the shutdown option box used to appear. Does anyone else experience the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by liamcakerboyr View Post
    When I press the power button the display goes to sleep straight away, before the shutdown option box used to appear. Does anyone else experience the same problem?
    Same here... Now you have to click on the Apple logo to shutdown now... :-(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    Same here... Now you have to click on the Apple logo to shutdown now... :-(
    Just hold the physical Power button until the Restart/Sleep/Cancel/Shutdown dialog comes up. Think of it as similar to an iDevice.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am experiencing worse battery life on my retina MBP 15". I may do a reinstall which means wiping my Windows partition as well so that I start completely over.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone else find this report bogus?? I have a fully upgraded 2007 15" MBP and the last OS it could handle was Lion.

I tried it out for a couple of days, the battery life difference on my 2011 15" MBP w/ SSD is negligible, or perhaps even worse as the power management is atrocious on mountain lion onwards, unless you babysit the computer constantly waking the screen up it will aggressively sleep, lion will just turn the screen off and carry on working where these newer versions just turn off, total crap for anyone that wants to try and use their time efficiently and leave a time consuming task to complete while doing other things. Utter fail by the OS designers.

I was going to try it, but it seems just as iOS 7 and and the 5s which I have. I think I'll just wait on this.
    IPhone 5s....
    First MacBook Pro 13" I7 2.8Ghz with win7
    1 rooted Thrive
    08 Chevy 2500HD LTZ
    06 Dyna Lowrider
    40ft Raptor toyhauler