+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Hangouts for iOS Updated to Allow Users to Call US and Canada for Free

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Google Hangouts for iOS Updated to Allow Users to Call US and Canada for Free

The Google Hangouts iOS app recently received a major update on Friday with the latest iteration bringing free in-app voice calling to numbers within the US and Canada as well as incoming call support to a userís Google Voice number. Version 1.3.0 of the software allows iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners to place in-app phone calls to any number in the US and Canada with the new feature bringing the software in line with Google Hangouts for desktop computers, which already boasts the functionality.

As of right now the free calling is limited to North America, though international calls can be made for a fee. Users can now also receive calls to their Google Voice numbers, which can be setup to ring the app directly. Last but not least, the messaging side of the app now supports inline animated GIFs, while incoming messages will only pause the music instead of stopping the track completely.

Those of you interested in downloading the 12.5 MB update can do so for free from the App Store.

Source: iTunes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Saw that yesterday and works perfectly plus if you're on CDMA iPhones it's good to use since we don't have Data+Voice.

Thanks

I can not receive calls when I log in with a google account with a ported-in google voice number! And the toggle for the "Incoming phone calls" is missing. BUT when I log in using a google account with a google voice number that I chose within google voice, I can receive calls and the toggle appears! This is going to be a huge problem for people who have ported their numbers to google voice.

Thanks

Are calls made strictly over data connection, in other words, 4g/LTE/Wifi? If so, this would be great for scenarios where I have Wifi but low-signal.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Are calls made strictly over data connection, in other words, 4g/LTE/Wifi? If so, this would be great for scenarios where I have Wifi but low-signal.
    Yes, this part isn't any different than using Talkatone or similar apps.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (10-19-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not recieving any notifications at all...
    help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

As i live in Canada, I can only make free calls but no messaging nor get a free google number. This feature is only available to US phone numbers. Whenever i call someone, a random US number appears on the call display. In other words, no one knows who is calling and can't call back. This is not good enough for Canadians.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    As i live in Canada, I can only make free calls but no messaging nor get a free google number. This feature is only available to US phone numbers. Whenever i call someone, a random US number appears on the call display. In other words, no one knows who is calling and can't call back. This is not good enough for Canadians.
    Unfortunately, Google Voice has been known to only fully support US accounts (unlike the predecessor GrandCentral which tried to support CAN and MX numbers but had quite a few hiccups doing so).
    This has been known for years now, so you can't really blame Google for something they've mentioned for years. Even if a US-based user doesn't have a Google Voice account, it shows a random number on outgoing CID anyway. It's just an attribute that works best with a GV number.

Google is just trying to tie everything to Hangouts, which might be a good thing depending on the setup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    In the UK we can't get it at all so you're better off than us!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    In the UK we can't get it at all so you're better off than us!
    Haha, didn't know u are from UK. I think it has to do with the carrier regulations in each country.

Thanks

What's the difference between this and the Google Voice app?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    What's the difference between this and the Google Voice app?
    For one you can send or receive messages and calls directly inside the app (the GV app only allows messaging), plus it links to a G+ or GTalk account and use that for video/audio/text messaging those utilizing Google services (G+, GTalk, Gmail, etc).

Now for the other side: it doesn't really offer a lot of 'behind the scenes' options of GV, such as setting phones to forward to and DND. I've heard people say that GV users should still keep the GV app, in order to make GV-out calls using your cell phone minutes (rather than data as Hangouts does).
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 10-22-2013 at 12:36 AM.