+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Decreasing iPhone 5C Production by 35% and Boosting iPhone 5S by 75%

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly Decreasing iPhone 5C Production by 35% and Boosting iPhone 5S by 75%

An NPD report recently claims the iPhone 5S fabrication will soon be boosted by roughly 75%, while the 5C will see a drawback of 35%. Citing channel checks, NPD Display Search “can confirm” a slowdown in iPhone 5C production, which supposedly comes along with a hefty increase in 5S orders.

The purported data was revealed in a post to NPD’s analyst blog written by senior analysts Tina Teng and Shawn Lee who said the sales performance of Apple’s iPhone 5C has been thus far disappointing. The analysts note two factors as being accountable for the poor showing: a miscalculated China launch and consumer expectation that the phone would be “cheap.”

According to the post, Apple raised the iPhone 5C’s price to reach an acceptable profit margin when Chinese carriers offered competitive subsidies during the country’s Golden Week holiday. This suggests Apple may have miscalculated the 5C’s launch timing according to Teng and Lee, as the company was supposedly targeting the Chinese market with the device. Furthermore, the analysts said industry watchers and consumers were unpleasantly surprised by the 5C’s base price tag, which was anticipated to be substantially lower than Apple’s previous offerings. This assumption was based on early rumors claiming that the handset would be Apple’s first low-cost offering.

Although the blog post may not be the most carefully reasoned, the data it was based on could be accurate. If so, the production cut for the iPhone 5C and increase for the iPhone 5S is substantial, even though Apple’s original forecast remains unknown. The analysis comes on the heels of a separate report from The Wall Street Journal, which cited sources as saying Apple is cutting iPhone 5C production. In a breakdown publication, Pegatron would see a 20% decrease in orders, while Foxconn is planning to cut production by roughly one third. The same sentiment was echoed by Reuters shortly after. We’ll have to wait and see what ends up happening.

Source: NPD Display Search (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

The 5C has always been a flop. If that was the design for the 5S bossy but they had the 5S hardware, they could've made so much more money than the two models separate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    The 5C has always been a flop. If that was the design for the 5S bossy but they had the 5S hardware, they could've made so much more money than the two models separate.
    Always been? It has not been out for a month yet.

Apple is really being stupid here, 5c should be $50 and then Apple could gain a larger market share. How can you fix stupid? You can't

Thanks

Some d-bag on reddit was trying to argue with me that they only reason they dropped the price on the 5C is because the 5S was in shorty supply and they were trying to get people to buy the 5C. NOT! The 5C is a flop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

Epic fail epic flop!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I just don't know why apple thought the 5c would sell a lot more than the iphone 5 would about now. It's essentially the previous model, the only way they would have gained a new market would have been a lower off-contract price. That would compete with android a bit more, but because it is priced at basically what the 5 would be at now, it's not going to be selling.

Sadly I can imagine these selling off the walls during holiday season, poor kids who have their parents buy them 5c's instead of 5s..

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Always been? It has not been out for a month yet.

Apple is really being stupid here, 5c should be $50 and then Apple could gain a larger market share. How can you fix stupid? You can't
    It has been a month. Learn to count first before posting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I just don't know why apple thought the 5c would sell a lot more than the iphone 5 would about now. It's essentially the previous model, the only way they would have gained a new market would have been a lower off-contract price. That would compete with android a bit more, but because it is priced at basically what the 5 would be at now, it's not going to be selling.

Sadly I can imagine these selling off the walls during holiday season, poor kids who have their parents buy them 5c's instead of 5s..
    Because the 5 is still a good phone and people buy android crap still

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    It has been a month. Learn to count first before posting
    Uh released on 9/20 and its 10/19 I count fine its 29 days too soon to say its a flop because you think so
    Last edited by WHUDS; 10-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

^^exactly it still is a good phone and their still saving 100 bucks per model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Because the 5 is still a good phone and people buy android crap still

Uh released on 9/20 and its 10/19 I count fine its 29 days too soon to say its a flop because you think so
    Trying again!!! Does 1 week equal Sunday to Sunday? No! Sunday to Saturday. 9/20=day 1 and 10/19=day 30.

Thanks

If Apple hits that off-contract sweet-spot price model, then these will sell like hot cakes. A device like this shouldn't be any more than $200 off-contract. How much does it cost Apple again to manufacture these?
    Last edited by pkmaximum; 10-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    If Apple hits that off-contract sweet-spot price model, then these will sell like hot cakes. A device like this shouldn't be any more than $200 of contract. How much does it cost Apple again to manufacture these?
    It's not!! This phone on contract is 199.00 for the 32GB and 99.00 for the 16GB. Unless you meant no more than 200.00 off contract?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

(weird fake accent time) But the 5c is beautifully unapologetically PLASTIC!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    (weird fake accent time) But the 5c is beautifully unapologetically PLASTIC!
    No it's poly carbonate and I have replaced the glass back of my 4 3 times, 3 and 3GS were both poly carbonate too so how many phones are made like the 5 and 5 s ? Not many

Really are these the only arguments? They are pretty weak. The 5c at 45 and 50 USD 2 year contract is a pretty good bang for the buck

Trying again!!! Does 1 week equal Sunday to Sunday? No! Sunday to Saturday. 9/20=day 1 and 10/19=day 30.
    Why is this so important to you? I think it's too early to say its a flop, give it another 60 or so days with Black Friday I bet a lot of kids will get a 5c at Christmas.
    Last edited by WHUDS; 10-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

Interesting to see the arguments on here.
    Apple have adjusted their production on the basis of their figures but nice to know everyone here knows better.
    And actually gives a toss.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

you're wrong
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-19-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: cleaned the bash

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thatsvagtastic View Post
    you're wrong
    Calling people names is really not nice.

mod edit, removed bashing qoute
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thatstastic View Post
    you're wrong
    Wow some comment? LOL Oh wait? It's edited by a mod like 1/2 of you're other (10)comments. Go troll somewhere else!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The 5c is a middle level phone, getting middle level sales results, I don't know why people are calling it a flop. Just because it's a new product, doesn't mean it has to have blow out results. They got a lot of press for releasing another phone, which was a success, they also appealed to customers who have wanted more colors in the iPhone. People who want the best phone aren't going to buy a 5c. The 5c is for people who want an iPhone, but don't want to pay $199 for one and would rather pay $99. It's become extremely clear that Steve was right when he said higher end phones would sell better in the long run. Key word, long run.

Thanks

LOL!!! Cause the 5C is nothing more than the 5 WRAPPED IN PLASTIC!!!..Why people bought this I do not know..lol