+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reiterates The Privacy and Security of iMessages

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Reiterates The Privacy and Security of iMessages

Amidst relentless user concerns about the true security and privacy of their preferred social networks, messaging services, and mobile platforms, Apple is once again stepping up to assuage some of these concerns by reiterating how safe and secure our iMessages really are.

As recently as this past summer, Apple claimed that its instant-messenger service is immune from decryption even by Apple itself.

Unfortunately for Apple, a report issued yesterday by the security-savvy folks at QuarksLab did not concur with Apple's assessment. “Apple can read your iMessages if they choose to, or if they are required to do so by a government order,” QuarksLab said in a white paper.

Not surprisingly, Apple didn't take kindly to that assertion. And it fired back today in a statement provided to AllThingsD.

“iMessage is not architected to allow Apple to read messages,” explains Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller. “The research discussed theoretical vulnerabilities that would require Apple to re-engineer the iMessage system to exploit it, and Apple has no plans or intentions to do so.”

“As Apple claims, there is end-to-end encryption,” QuarksLab says. “The weakness is in the key infrastructure as it is controlled by Apple: They can change a key anytime they want, thus read the content of our iMessages.”

But as AllThingsD points out, QuarksLab ultimately "has no evidence that Apple does or has done this."

Source: AllThingsD

Thanks

so... iMessage is outside the net cast by PRISM? doubt it.

Thanks

They don't need proof that Apple has done or will do. What they said is that it is possible. I am not a criminal but I can at any time choose to commit a crime..nuff said.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (10-18-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone stopped to think: "Fine, they can read my messages. So what? It's not like I'm a criminal, am sexting or am doing something illegal."

As long as I know that they're the only ones that have access to my iMessages, then there's nothing to worry about.

I know. Privacy, but hell, that's what you get for such an expensive product, like it or not.

How about.. Don't use iMessage at all, go back to an old Motorola Razor or use an alternative?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omfg59o View Post
    Has anyone stopped to think: "Fine, they can read my messages. So what? It's not like I'm a criminal, am sexting or am doing something illegal."

As long as I know that they're the only ones that have access to my iMessages, then there's nothing to worry about.

I know. Privacy, but hell, that's what you get for such an expensive product, like it or not.

How about.. Don't use iMessage at all, go back to an old Motorola Razor or use an alternative?
    Lol text messages would be cake to intercept. iMessages are a step up but are still vulnerable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is owned by the GOV they are watching all you do. Seriously. Ask Snowden.

;-)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    They don't need proof that Apple has done or will do. What they said is that it is possible. I am not a criminal but I can at any time choose to commit a crime..nuff said.
    Well, you haven't been caught committing a crime at least

Banned
    Thanks

If imessage is so locked up and protected then how was there a working Android version?
    If some small dev can make a Android version that works then NSA can easily read the imessages.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smith01 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (10-18-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    If imessage is so locked up and protected then how was there a working Android version?
    If some small dev can make a Android version that works then NSA can easily read the imessages.
    That dev isn't running it through apples servers. He's running it through his own.

iMessages aren't readable right now, because they aren't sendable, I swear i restart my 5s 4-7 times/day because of bugs and message send failures.

Thanks

What he did was receive the messages to a Mac mini server. Then he had a program that would send the messages from there. The messages were coming from an official Apple device. The big security risk there was that all those iMessages went to a server in China and they truly could have done anything with them. They also had the users Apple ID credentials because that was needed to send the message from the server.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    Apple is owned by the GOV they are watching all you do. Seriously. Ask Snowden.

;-)
    What are they teaching kids in school these days?

No, Apple is not controlled by neither the Federal government nor any state government, though they do have to comply with laws and any possible search warrants the same way everybody else does, but they can also choose to (but will not likely) go to court over that as well.

Banned
    Thanks

As this site is screwed up and I can only see the first post unless I go to Advanced view and there I cant quote I'll do this instead.

What he did was receive the messages to a Mac mini server. Then he had a program that would send the messages from there. The messages were coming from an official Apple device. The big security risk there was that all those iMessages went to a server in China and they truly could have done anything with them. They also had the users Apple ID credentials because that was needed to send the message from the server.

Still he would have to had some way to convert them to his Android app as it did work. Somewhere along the line it would've been decoded.
    I tried it out and it was as fast as from iPad to iPhone. I did it from iPad to Android and it was fast. Even if it did go through a Chinese server someone decoded it meaning iMessage isn't as secure as Apple try to tell you it is.
    Nothing they tell us is true. They do have viruses but they try to keep them a secret. All their devices are old even the latest its still years behind the competition. They are liars and cheats and copy cats, they just keep it quiet and sue anyone that goes against them and tells the truth against Apple.

I never use iMessage as SMS is still better. Every phone can send and receive SMS so when you think a Apple only service is better you are joking yourself. If its better then send me a message. I bet I'll never get it proving its not better. Now send a SMS and I will get it. SO something thats many MANY years old is better than Apples new service.

Thanks

Still he would have to had some way to convert them to his Android app as it did work. Somewhere along the line it would've been decoded.

I tried it out and it was as fast as from iPad to iPhone. I did it from iPad to Android and it was fast. Even if it did go through a Chinese server someone decoded it meaning iMessage isn't as secure as Apple try to tell you it is.
    Nothing they tell us is true. They do have viruses but they try to keep them a secret. All their devices are old even the latest its still years behind the competition. They are liars and cheats and copy cats, they just keep it quiet and sue anyone that goes against them and tells the truth against Apple.

I never use iMessage as SMS is still better. Every phone can send and receive SMS so when you think a Apple only service is better you are joking yourself. If its better then send me a message. I bet I'll never get it proving its not better. Now send a SMS and I will get it. SO something thats many MANY years old is better than Apples new service.
    He had nothing to decode. The messages were being sent through Apples server using your Apple ID and password (I'd change your password if you haven't already) using acceptable Apple hardware. Then his server would send you the response. What you were using on your Android device wasn't real iMessage and never communicated directly with Apple's server. Essentially it was a proxy service and you naively gave you Apple ID and password to some random person in China.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Whoa wait a min...you guys can send iMessages? That hasn't worked for me or my wife since we installed iOS7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    Whoa wait a min...you guys can send iMessages? That hasn't worked for me or my wife since we installed iOS7.
    Had about a week where it worked off and on but has been working fine for the past two weeks.