+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Twitter Could Launch Dedicated Direct Messaging App Similar to Facebook Messenger

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Twitter recently updated its user accounts so that users could choose to be direct messaged by not only people that they’re following, but also by people that are following them
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Twitter Could Launch Dedicated Direct Messaging App Similar to Facebook Messenger

Twitter recently updated its user accounts so that users could choose to be direct messaged by not only people that they’re following, but also by people that are following them. This may not be the only improvement to direct messaging that the large social network has in store for its users.

Citing AllThingsD, Twitter may also be looking into the possibility of a dedicated application for its direct messaging feature. This would be very similar to Facebook’s dedicated Messenger application, in which the user can sign in to in order to message their Facebook friends. In this case, the user's Twitter followers or people they follow.

Notably, the Facebook application contains this messaging functionality too, but the dedicated application takes away much of the additional clutter and offers a better user interface for the single task. A dedicated Twitter direct messaging application would be expected to give the user the same feeling, but users would still be limited to 140 characters per message unless Twitter did away with it.

While there are a lot of people out there that probably wouldn’t want to download a dedicated application with a function that the main application can already carry out, users of the recently-released Apex jailbreak tweak could group the similar applications together and keep their home screen organized; even with the additional application icons on the home screen.

Sources: AllThingsD via 9to5Mac

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Idk if it's me but I like it with the app not a whole separate app

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like it to be separate but if it were a true messaging system, not just tweeting. So like I could type out as many characters I want and only that person would see it. Not 140 characters for everyone in the world to see.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Idk if it's me but I like it with the app not a whole separate app
    But didn't you read with the jailbreak tweak Apex you can group it with the twitter icon....cheap plug...lol

I'd agree though one less app I need is better for me. Facebook is just trying to reach what the IMs of the past achieved so well back in the 90's and early 2000s