+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Admits to Forcing Student Interns to Work Illegal Shifts

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Foxconn Admits to Forcing Student Interns to Work Illegal Shifts

Foxconn, the Taiwanese company which assembles almost all of Apple’s most popular devices, recently admitted that it has forced student interns to work illegal shift patterns. Thousands of students from the Xi’an Institute of Technology were made to work overtime and night shifts at the plant in violation of company policies. If they refused to do so, they were in danger of losing their degree certificate. Foxconn said the following in a statement to CNBC after the allegations were printed in the Chinese newspaper, Dongfang Daily:

(We) have determined that there have been a few instances where our policies pertaining to overtime and night shift work were not enforced. Immediate actions have been taken to bring that campus into full compliance with our code and policies. These actions include reinforcing the policies of no overtime and no night shifts for student interns, even though such work is voluntary, and reminding all interns of their rights to terminate their participation in the program at any time.
    The Apple supplier insists that its priority is to protect the rights of all workers and interns and it says it will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure that it doesn’t happen again. The company’s policy states that student participation is voluntary and that they are free to terminate their internship at any time. It’s thought that the interns were all working on Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 4 ahead of its launch this fall.

It should be noted that this isn’t the first time that Foxconn has been in the limelight of worker mistreatment allegations. Late last year, the company admitted to using interns as young as 14 years old and it has been under scrutiny for several years for the harsh working conditions in its Chinese factories, where more than 20 workers have taken their own lives in the past six years.

In its response, Apple has stepped in and vowed to help Foxconn improve the situation.

Source: CNBC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And I care about this why? I couldn't care less about anything foxconn related. Only reason it's even a big deal is because Apple's name is tied to it. If it wasn't no one would give a flying leap.... speaking of leaping, I wonder how many of these interns took the big plunge?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Highly inappropriate and offensive to joke about teenagers working at Foxconn to say and then insinuate about SUICIDE!!!

"If it wasn't [Tied to Apples name] no one would give a flying leap.... speaking of leaping, I wonder how many of these interns took the big plunge?"

Thanks

Dongfang daily! Now there's a good name for a newspaper.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

ttiger (10-12-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    And I care about this why? I couldn't care less about anything foxconn related. Only reason it's even a big deal is because Apple's name is tied to it. If it wasn't no one would give a flying leap.... speaking of leaping, I wonder how many of these interns took the big plunge?
    Wow, first class douchery right here. I hope your above statement was trolling because I would hate to think that I share air with a human like you!

You may not care about human rights but I and many others do.
    You need to be thankful because if these laws were not in place you would most likely have been working in a factory when you were 6 years old, and been held captive as a working class slave for most of your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    Wow, first class douchery right here. I hope your above statement was trolling because I would hate to think that I share air with a human like you!

You may not care about human rights but I and many others do.
    You need to be thankful because if these laws were not in place you would most likely have been working in a factory when you were 6 years old, and been held captive as a working class slave for most of your life.
    He's right though

Green Apple
    Thanks

You're kidding right? Foxconn is a big deal because it and its subsidiary companies are the largest manufacturers of electronics in the world. As this article points out this is about the PS4...nothing Apple related.

Foxconn not only produces products for almost all the large electronics companies, they service millions of small companies. What goes on at Foxconn is a big deal as it effects THE ENTIRE SUPPLY CHAIN

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Foxconn sucks, but many company's treat there workers worse.

Thanks

"[...] even though such work is voluntary [...]"

Wow, **** you, Foxconn. CONNING students into working overtime by threatening to take away their degree certificates if they don't isn't voluntary, you ******* corrupt pieces of ****.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Highly inappropriate and offensive to joke about teenagers working at Foxconn to say and then insinuate about SUICIDE!!!
    No

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thatsvagtastic View Post
    He's right though
    I have to LoL at all these self righteous people.

IF you care so much don't purchase items made at FOXCONN. IF you purchase them then YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!

For the person that wanted to give me a lesson on Chinese manufacturing thanks a ton! I know they make millions of the products greedy Americans love to spend their duckets on but...... the only reason any one cares about FOXCONN is because the iPhone is manufactured there. PLUS this is on an iPhone centered website. Do you honestly believe MMI would of put this story on their front page if FOXCONN didn't produce the iProducts? If you believe that I have some ocean front property for sale here in Colorado I'd LOVE to sell you.

As far as the suicide reference...I though that was witty and funny and I know some of you that are complaining chuckled a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    Wow, first class douchery right here. I hope your above statement was trolling because I would hate to think that I share air with a human like you!......you would most likely have been working in a factory when you were 6 years old, and been held captive as a working class slave for most of your life.
    Damn right about the first class douchery....I admit it proudly. PLUS I wouldn't of been working anywhere.... my family has duckets! I probably would of eventually owned one of those factories and I'd have an office overlooking the floor so I could count all my money in front of all the grubby kids slaving away and chuckle to myself as I lit my pipe with a $100 bill. That would be sweet!
    Last edited by rkswat; 10-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks

I have to LoL at all these self righteous people.

IF you care so much don't purchase items made at FOXCONN. IF you purchase them then YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!

For the person that wanted to give me a lesson on Chinese manufacturing thanks a ton! I know they make millions of the products greedy Americans love to spend their duckets on but...... the only reason any one cares about FOXCONN is because the iPhone is manufactured there. PLUS this is on an iPhone centered website. Do you honestly believe MMI would of put this story on their front page if FOXCONN didn't produce the iProducts? If you believe that I have some ocean front property for sale here in Colorado I'd LOVE to sell you.

As far as the suicide reference...I though that was witty and funny and I know some of you that are complaining chuckled a bit.

Damn right about the first class douchery....I admit it proudly. PLUS I wouldn't of been working anywhere.... my family has duckets! I probably would of eventually owned one of those factories and I'd have an office overlooking the floor so I could count all my money in front of all the grubby kids slaving away and chuckle to myself as I lit my pipe with a $100 bill. That would be sweet!
    Smh

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hahahahahahahhahah everyone's butthurt here

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

U not in the same room, how do u share air?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought this was common in asia. Paid or not.

Thanks

Most everything is made with some slave labor from 3rd world country's. From the clothes on your back to your computer/IPhone. So don't act like its news. Oh if we don't talk about it it really did/don't happen.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to towboattrash34 For This Useful Post:

ThatOneProfile (10-15-2013)