Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T No Longer Offering Traditional Capped-Per-Device Data Plans to New Customers

Thanks

Default AT&T No Longer Offering Traditional Capped-Per-Device Data Plans to New Customers

To acknowledge the increasing number of consumers who have more than one data consuming mobile device, AT&T recently announced that it will no longer offer traditional capped-per-device data plans to new customers. The company will instead steer them toward one of the company’s Mobile Share plans.

Instead of choosing individual voice or data plans for each device on a customer’s account, Mobile Share offers consumers unlimited voice calling and text messaging alongside a pooled data allowance that applies up to ten devices. AT&T introduced Mobile Share last year and says that their offering has quickly become the plan chosen most often by new customers, with more than 13 million connected devices.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, Mobile Share plans are offered in 11 tiers ranging from 300 megabytes to 50 gigabytes for between $20 and $500 per month, each connected device requires a separate monthly fee. Smartphones can be added to the plans for roughly $30 and $50 per month, while tablets, wireless home phones, laptops and basic “dumb phones” are an additional $10, $20, $20 and $30 per month respectively.

The carrier says that “the way customers use their phones and other devices has changed – a lot,” and as a result, Mobile Share offers more amenities for the same or better price as discrete plans in 95% of new customers cases. The new plans can be a boon for iPhone and iPad owners who are known to consume significantly more data than other smartphone users. Existing customers will be grandfathered in and will not be required to change to a Mobile Share plan, even if they upgrade their device. While Mobile Share may shave a small percentage off of a customer’s monthly bill, those with years-old unlimited data plans are often reluctant to trade them in for less costly metered plans.

Source: AT&T

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

It was only a matter of time before the Shared Data Plans took over the per-device capped plans. I wouldn't be surprised if the other carriers follow AT&T on this.

Especially Verizon since they are already requiring users with old data plans to either switch their Data Plan and get a Subsidized Phone Price or keep their existing Data Plan and buy an Upgraded Device at Full Retail!!!

I'm glad AT&T is at least letting people keep their existing plans and not making you pay Full Price for an Upgraded Phone!!!

Share plans are a joke as they are more expensive of the typical long term att user. I would be paying more if I went with one of their shared plans. I love how it says "the way people are using them now"..... of course because you don't really offer any quality plans for singe device anymore.

I'm just glad AT&T has let me keep my iPhone Unlimited Data since my Original iPhone and I've kept it through my iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, & 5.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zrevai For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (10-13-2013)

I was able to keep my unlimited with my 5s. So I'm still happy

$500 per month, just for data?? Oh my goodness! I can't imagine someone who has this kind of money to waste on a monthly basis. Please find a homeless person to feed instead of your addiction.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

dapes (10-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    I'm just glad AT&T has let me keep my iPhone Unlimited Data since my Original iPhone and I've kept it through my iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, & 5.
    Mine too, as so as my wife, now on my 5s been using almost 15g of data every billing cycle.

Thanks

+1. I've got 4 iPhones on my plan all with unlimited data.

Wow!
    £10 / month gets me 1Gb data 100 mins and 400 texts on my phone. My iPad I pay £20 every 6 months for 1Gb/month of data.
    I couldn't afford to live in the USA.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Share plans are a joke as they are more expensive of the typical long term att user. I would be paying more if I went with one of their shared plans. I love how it says "the way people are using them now"..... of course because you don't really offer any quality plans for singe device anymore.
    The actual funny part is years ago they'd give you unlimited data, and gouge you on voice minutes...because people talked...now people text and video chat and use data...so unlimited voice and text but its time to gouge data...see what they did there..."the way people are using them now" supply and demand unfortunately at its finest

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tjELITE For This Useful Post:

dapes (10-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Wow!
    £10 / month gets me 1Gb data 100 mins and 400 texts on my phone. My iPad I pay £20 every 6 months for 1Gb/month of data.
    I couldn't afford to live in the USA.

i only pay 30 a month for 5gb of data and unlimited texts and use talkatone for talking so im pretty good with that but im on tmobile

I'm on t-mobile here in the UK - ican get better on GiffGaff but I'm waiting for t-mob to unlock my phone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Gave up on ATT as soon as they told me I was tethering with my iPhone when I never touched it once. Wow ATT such a joke by removing my unlimited data plan to a tiered 5GB plan during the time when the 4S was out. Now I'm with Sprint and have far much more a better experience but sad that I can't have Data+Voice Simultaneously until VoLTE rolls out some time next year for CDMA carriers or if apple could just make an extra antenna inside the iPhone(knowing it complex but come on it would be help how Samsung/LG/Most android devices have it). It can be quite annoying when you can't do both when you need it most at certain times.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GuiltyGearIsaac For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (10-13-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    Gave up on ATT as soon as they told me I was tethering with my iPhone when I never touched it once. Wow ATT such a joke by removing my unlimited data plan to a tiered 5GB plan during the time when the 4S was out. Now I'm with Sprint and have far much more a better experience but sad that I can't have Data+Voice Simultaneously until VoLTE rolls out some time next year for CDMA carriers or if apple could just make an extra antenna inside the iPhone(knowing it complex but come on it would be help how Samsung/LG/Most android devices have it). It can be quite annoying when you can't do both when you need it most at certain times.
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It was only a matter of time before the Shared Data Plans took over the per-device capped plans. I wouldn't be surprised if the other carriers follow AT&T on this.

Especially Verizon since they are already requiring users with old data plans to either switch their Data Plan and get a Subsidized Phone Price or keep their existing Data Plan and buy an Upgraded Device at Full Retail!!!

I'm glad AT&T is at least letting people keep their existing plans and not making you pay Full Price for an Upgraded Phone!!!
    Actually AT&T is following Verizon on this. Verizon did this first. Existing users can already keep their current plans on both networks (except unlimited on Verizon).

It's all personal preference which network you'd rather be on with unlimited though. AT&T is good for those who don't use too much data but don't like worrying about their data usage. At least you get a discounted phone every two years.

Verizon's better for people who use a ton of data or want better coverage. I'd much rather be on Verizon and pay full price for my phone since I use 40+ GB every month. I stream a lot of video.

Which streaming services are you using over the cell network?? Even in HD 40GB+ per month seems a bit excessive considering how bad Hulu and Netflix both look over 3G/4G HSPDA+, the only exception was when I was in Anaheim near Disneyland and they both worked as well on 4G LTE as they do on my AT&T U-Verse DSL at 12Mbps.

How is 40+GB even possible these days in a 30 day billing cycle?? That's a minimum of 1.333GB every day???

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    They pulled the same crap with me. I have 3 iPhones with att unlimited data. I received a letter that my 17 yr old daughters acct was flagged for tethering and her phone wasn't even jailbroken! The letter said that if it didn't stop by a certain date they would pull the unlimited and switch to a tier with a hotspot. After calling and arguing for an hour it seemed to be resolved. Next months bill included a $50 tier data plan with tether on her line.
    Called back and they pretty much told me tough S*it, we won't give you unlimited back because the tethering continued after our agreement. I've been a customer with them since 04 and spent almost 20k of my money with att over the years. They could care less.

Remember AT&T doesn't really have " unlimited".. Never had. You're throttled at 5GB. Verizon after 2011 has had true unlimited.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

AT&T has been cited for their Illegal Business Practices, including overfilling! As far as I am concerned they amount to a Criminal Enterprise that shouldf be indicted under the RICO Act! I said to hell with them 6 years ago and left them holding a Bag I din't own! I have been with T-Mobile on a No-Contract Plan and always Own my Phone. My bill has been the same within a dollar or so every month for the last 6 years! No surprises, no hassles and if I Tether, I can Tether for a 15 dollar a month fee with no contract! The Phone Companies may all screw us in some way but at least I see what I have to pay for and get what I pay for!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

1 gb of overage is 15 bucks on a mobile share plan. 10 bucks on a traditional plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast