+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T No Longer Offering Traditional Capped-Per-Device Data Plans to New Customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I save more with the unlimited data on the one phone, and 2gb data for $25 on the other. This shared plan is a complete scam by AT&T as usual.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I save more with the unlimited data on the one phone, and 2gb data for $25 on the other. This shared plan is a complete scam by AT&T as usual.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Here's a not-so-hypothetical example:

1) Family of four. Two smartphones with AT&T's definition of "unlimited" data. Two smartphones with 3 Gb/month. $60 for the FamilyTalk Nation 700 plan. $30/phone for the data. $10 for 2nd and subsequent phone(s) = $210 + tax.

2) Family of four. Four smartphones with 10 Gb of shared data on a mobile share plan. $120/month + $30/smartphone= $240 + tax.

And this isn't a fair comparison, because the former plan offers 12 Gb total of unthrottled data. But let's say you don't use much data - the 6Gb Mobile Share plan still works out $20 more expensive.

I wonder why AT&T's plans stop at $500/month for data? Surely there must be families out there in these affluent times willing and able to pay thousands of dollars/month to AT&T for a bit of extra data? Or the ability to tether a Bluetooth connection so that they can legally stream Pandora or iTune's radio to their car's stereo?!?

Did I ever mention that I hate AT&T?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    I wonder why AT&T's plans stop at $500/month for data? Surely there must be families out there in these affluent times willing and able to pay thousands of dollars/month to AT&T for a bit of extra data? Or the ability to tether a Bluetooth connection so that they can legally stream Pandora or iTune's radio to their car's stereo?!?

Did I ever mention that I hate AT&T?
    I don't think you understand what bluetooth tethering is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onski View Post
    Mine too, as so as my wife, now on my 5s been using almost 15g of data every billing cycle.
    Good Lord...what are you doing? The ONLY way I could come close to that much data is if I cancelled my home internet and used TetherMe to turn my phone into a hotspot...and even when I did try that for a month I only used 4 or 5 GB of data (but I don't stream movies).

I was actually grandfathered into unlimited data, but changed to the 2 GB plan a couple of years ago when I realized I would save money that way since I so seldom break the 2 GB limit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I don't think you understand what bluetooth tethering is.
    No, AT&T doesn't understand what Bluetooth tethering is.

Numerous AT&T customers were told by AT&T reps that they needed to purchase a tethering plan in order to stream Pandora through their car's stereo. AT&T went through a stage of very aggressively (and very unethically) trying to push tethering plans on its customers.

Thanks

Numerous AT&T customers were told by AT&T reps that they needed to purchase a tethering plan in order to stream Pandora through their car's stereo. AT&T went through a stage of very aggressively (and very unethically) trying to push tethering plans on its customers.
    Those customers are idiots if they believed that.

Thanks

I Bluetooth pandora to my car stereo for free all the time, has nothing to do with AT&T.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (10-13-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Those customers are idiots if they believed that.
    Many people had no choice - AT&T just switched them to a tethering plan!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I Bluetooth pandora to my car stereo for free all the time, has nothing to do with AT&T.
    I give up trying to explain this one

10. The Following User Says Thank You to csglinux For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (10-13-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Good Lord...what are you doing? The ONLY way I could come close to that much data is if I cancelled my home internet and used TetherMe to turn my phone into a hotspot...and even when I did try that for a month I only used 4 or 5 GB of data (but I don't stream movies).

I was actually grandfathered into unlimited data, but changed to the 2 GB plan a couple of years ago when I realized I would save money that way since I so seldom break the 2 GB limit.
    Haha i know that sounds a lot of data usage. Im out on the road most of the time so i stream music all day, tether to my laptop sometimes (that was before i have my 5s) and listen to news and music from my home country. I cut off my call and message plan as most of my friends and family uses iphone so it make sense to make use of my unlimitted data for calls and text. Better make use of it while it last..

Thanks

You're an idiot, ma'am. Really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Remember AT&T doesn't really have " unlimited".. Never had. You're throttled at 5GB. Verizon after 2011 has had true unlimited.
    This only affects me when streaming high quality videos, not a problem with music apps like pandora and likes and browsing youtube. Its still unlimited when you're enable to do these past 5g and still manage to use 15g in one billing cycle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onski View Post
    This only affects me when streaming high quality videos, not a problem with music apps like pandora and likes and browsing youtube. Its still unlimited when you're enable to do these past 5g and still manage to use 15g in one billing cycle.
    Also you can't get a subsidized price for the phone if you want to keep your unlimited on verizon.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,985 Times in 4,507 Posts

Also you can't get a subsidized price for the phone if you want to keep your unlimited on Verizon.
    Yeah.. Smart business move on Verizon's part - TERRIBLE customer relations move. This is the single biggest reason people flock from Verizon to AT&T these days..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilpetabread View Post
    You're the best, Really.
    Thanks buddy

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

Mobile Share is advantageous to my family of 5. I'm paying $270 for 5 iPhones and 10Gb of shared data. That works out to $54/line. And the fact that one of my daughters uses 4-5 Gb data/month means no overages.

While this is a "better" deal than traditional plans, I still think I'm getting raped by AT&T.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,985 Times in 4,507 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    Mobile Share is advantageous to my family of 5. I'm paying $270 for 5 iPhones and 10Gb of shared data. That works out to $54/line. And the fact that one of my daughters uses 4-5 Gb data/month means no overages.

While this is a "better" deal than traditional plans, I still think I'm getting raped by AT&T.
    My plan's about the same with AT&T.. I have 5 phones (one non-smartphone for grandparent) and a shared plan of 6GB.. We never go over.. And I'm paying $280.. Wonder why mine is $10 MORE than yours and only at 6GB... Hmm.. Will need to call AT&T on that one..

I think the price is 'fair-ish'.. and over time - look at what all the cell carriers have had to give up.. No more 'text message overage' fees.. No more 'any time minutes' - it's all unlimited.. except Data.. They know that's their cash cow. But they're a business.. It's what businesses do - make money. Competition has been good for us - the end user. Wish they could do that with Health Insurance.. LOL!!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    I'm just glad AT&T has let me keep my iPhone Unlimited Data since my Original iPhone and I've kept it through my iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, & 5.
    Same here. I've had mine with my 3GS, 4S and now with my Galaxy S4. I don't usually use too much but it's nice to not have to worry about it. I've recently been using it a lot because I'm tracking all of my runs.

Also you can't get a subsidized price for the phone if you want to keep your unlimited on verizon.
    Damn, that's some BS right there. Glad AT&T hasn't started pulling this crap yet.

Thanks

i still got my unlimited plan haha and im loving it everyday! and if they try to take it off im done with smartphones haha but to flip phone or nokia for snake game

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post

The FamilyTalk Nation 700 plan would cost you $250 per month. Why are you happy to be paying $20 more and having only 5 Gb to share between the four remaining family members??

As long as you realize you're being raped, you may just as well lie back, relax and enjoy it ;-)

Thanks

Thanks buddy
    If that's what I said, why did you not "like" my post ?