Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apps Running on iPhone 5s Are Reportedly 2x More Likely to Crash Than On the iPhone 5/5c

Default Apps Running on iPhone 5s Are Reportedly 2x More Likely to Crash Than the iPhone 5/5c

Apple’s new iPhone 5s houses a new 64-bit A7 chip and a new M7 motion co-processing chip, which both utilize new technology that developers for the iPhone have never had to take into consideration before. In addition, Apple just released iOS 7, which includes all new APIs, features, and interfaces. With all of these new things, comes room for error.

A new report from Crittercism suggests that applications being written specifically for the iPhone 5s with all of its new hardware and software features may be to blame for applications having double the likelihood of crashing than they would if the applications were run on the older hardware of an iPhone 5 or iPhone 5c:

Quote Originally Posted by Crittercism CEO Andrew Levy
    Anytime there is new hardware or software release, we see issues. Inevitably, over time, those issues get resolved.
    While just hearing “double the likelihood to crash” seems like a rather large number to take into consideration, AppleInsider notes that the iPhone 5 had just under a 1% application crash rate. That would put the iPhone 5s at around a 2% crash rate, which when you think about it, is still a reasonably low rate of failure that you might hardly even notice. The last time you got a 98% out of 100% on a test, you were probably pretty happy with the end result.

Because we’re dealing with new technology here, it’s important to note that it will take some time for all of the bugs to be worked out. The general rule of thumb is that it’s a good idea to skip a generation in between upgrading your iPhone.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Can't handle the power?

So tell us something we don't know

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlyc For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (10-11-2013), PokemonDesigner (10-11-2013)

Thanks

Yikes..thats not good for business.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 7,010 Posts

I wonder how much of this is due to iOS7 instead of just the different hardware.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

then why mislead this article with a picture of the iPhone 5C?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Because we’re dealing with new technology here, it’s important to note that it will take some time for all of the bugs to be worked out. The general rule of thumb is that it’s a good idea to skip a generation in between upgrading your iPhone.
    I don't think this helps with waiting for bugs to be dealt with. That rule applies to skipping generations of iPhones, not how long you should wait before buying the latest generation. Plus we're usually told the 's' models are likely to have the last generation's bugs worked out if anything.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 10-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    It's not misleading my friend !! iPhone5 is the new iPhone5c. Just that body's been changed to plastic & colourful.

I have a 5S and only seen 2 instances of this issue. One is with the new FB apps, which could be blamed on the FB update at the same time as 5S/iOS7 or the phone. the other is Safari, but it's pretty obivious based on my use and frequented websites that it's only certain websites that cause it to crash. So that is either on the Website, or the way Safari us handling it.

In both cases it's just as likely the third party as it is the phone. Everything else has been stellar and super fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I don't really think the picture is misleading. The iPhone 5c is importantly a part of these statistics, being that the iPhone 5s is 2x more likely to have a crash while running an application than the iPhone 5 OR iPhone 5c.

I made a minor edit to the title though, to reduce confusion.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Personally, I think if you app crashes I have seen are likely related to software not hardware
    My crashes of come with game apps and I'm pretty sure it's simply because the app is not fully updated to iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    Personally, I think if you app crashes I have seen are likely related to software not hardware
    My crashes of come with game apps and I'm pretty sure it's simply because the app is not fully updated to iOS 7
    You're right. For the most part, crashes are because of software incompatibilities. They're just more common. But on the other hand, some applications haven't been updated to take advantage of the hardware yet, and may not run optimally, or may even crash. The hardware directly isn't to blame.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks what you get for touting the all powerful 64-bit processor when you've got a 32-bit OS running on it.

Thanks

Got my 5s on release day... Smooth sailing, no crashing, just a few freezes on FB...

Quote Originally Posted by Sage I View Post
    Got my 5s on release day... Smooth sailing, no crashing, just a few freezes on FB...
    I'm experiencing those Facebook freezes on my iPhone 5 too. Might just be the application's stability at this point in time. Hopefully Facebook gives it a few performance tweaks in a future update.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 7,010 Posts

My 5S has resprung itself 2 or 3 times since I got it. Very odd for a stock iPhone for that to happen except when on a beta firmware. I just chalked it up to iOS7 still having a few bugs in it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

I've has a good amount of crashes but nothing that really bothers me. Still love my 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My 5S has resprung itself 2 or 3 times since I got it. Very odd for a stock iPhone for that to happen except when on a beta firmware. I just chalked it up to iOS7 still having a few bugs in it.
    Got that happening on my iPhone 5 too. Might be an iOS 7 stability thing.

I have notice app crashes on my 5S to where my phone reboots

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Got that happening on my iPhone 5 too. Might be an iOS 7 stability thing.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast