+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Cut iPhone 5C Production in Half Due to Dismal Sales

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly Cut iPhone 5C Production in Half Due to Dismal Sales

Apple unveiled not only the iPhone 5s at the special event the company held back in September, but also a plastic iPhone 5c. The iPhone 5c comes in a variety of colors, and isn't much different hardware-wise from a basic iPhone 5. Apple discontinued the iPhone 5 with the launch of the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c.

While the iPhone 5s is in short supply and high demand, CTech reports that production of the iPhone 5c has been cut in half due to dismal sales and lack of demand. The source notes that production of the iPhone 5c went from 300,000 units daily down to 150,000 units daily.

The iPhone 5c didnít really appear to impress from the get-go. After consumers became used to the high-end appearance of the glass and metal enclosure of both previous and current versions of the iPhone, the plastic shell of the iPhone 5c seemed like a step down. Add that to the fact that the hardware is nearly identical to the iPhone 5, adding in a slightly better battery, and iPhone 5 owners hardly see the iPhone 5c as an upgrade.

In a way, we would have to say this doesn't come as much of a surprise.

Sources: CTech via iClarified

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ya think?

Thanks

I swear, what i really love about apple is not the hardware its the software, they fail to offer a simple thing as a slight upgrade in screen size 4.5 thats all some of us ask. I bet if the iphone 5c had a 4.5 inch it would be selling better than it is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to laju8 For This Useful Post:

xWalmartCandyx (10-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laju8 View Post
    I swear, what i really love about apple is not the hardware its the software, they fail to offer a simple thing as a slight upgrade in screen size 4.5 thats all some of us ask. I bet if the iphone 5c had a 4.5 inch it would be selling better than it is.
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

150,000 a day comes out to 55 million a year. Color me crazy, but I'm pretty sure no other manufacturer in the world pumps out this many devices since no one else in the world can sell this many devices. Yet these numbers are dismal? Wow!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (10-10-2013), xWalmartCandyx (10-10-2013)

Thanks

I have an iPhone 5... and to tell you the truth I love the look of the white 5c. I think the 5c model is a nice replacement for the iPhone 5. I also think its smart to differentiate the models. On one hand I think it was designed to feel like a step down so it entices people to want the "high end" model. But on the same token it was made for the people that like just like the colors... Its like back in the day when you had the white and black plastic MacBooks and the all aluminum MacBook Pros. Im rambling now but what Im trying to say is I think its nice that people at least have a choice.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 704 Posts

I can understand but as far as sales go. Everyone wants the latest and greatest

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I have an iPhone 5... and to tell you the truth I love the look of the white 5c. I think the 5c model is a nice replacement for the iPhone 5. I also think its smart to differentiate the models. On one hand I think it was designed to feel like a step down so it entices people to want the "high end" model. But on the same token it was made for the people that like just like the colors... Its like back in the day when you had the white and black plastic MacBooks and the all aluminum MacBook Pros. Im rambling now but what Im trying to say is I think its nice that people at least have a choice.
    The white 5c really does look nice. The Plastic is honestly better to grip than the metal too. Most people that bash the 5c as a cheap plastic phone haven't actually seen one in real life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

The 5c is the one you don't have to worry about dropping in the damn toilet. Just give it to your kids and let them get peanut butter and dog food all over it, it' doesn't matter.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 610 Posts

it's not the phone(though it is duplo block ugly) it's the stupid price tag,

Edit: parents want to spend $150 max for a phone used by careless teenagers that believe money grows on trees
    Last edited by dsg; 10-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Banned
    Thanks

They might as well stop production of it completely or half the price at least. The iPhone 5C has always been the latest iFail from the start.

Thanks

So that's why they've pushed the 5c do hard: they can't sell it. I was wondering why last year's model with a plastic housing is displayed first on their website and has occupied every iPhone ad slot I've seen this cycle.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 10-10-2013 at 08:44 PM.

dsg
    Thanks

yeah, they were triyng to pull the wool over everybody's eyes

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Couldn't of told ya that would happen ever. *Insert sarcasm* But seriously. It was a fail to begin with cause it's just an iPod Touch 5 with cellular capabilities. What the h*** apple? Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone 8lias's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 5S is for the iPhone junkies. iPhone 5C is for the newbies that want an iPhone with half the price (contracted) that don't need all of the bells and whistles. It's a win-win.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Wow. Couldn't of told ya that would happen ever. *Insert sarcasm* But seriously. It was a fail to begin with cause it's just an iPod Touch 5 with cellular capabilities. What the h*** apple? Really?
    It's a plastic iPhone 5. The iPod touch 5 has a 4S chip and half as much RAM as a 5c.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

dsg (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 826 Posts

Kinda makes you wonder how they calculated the demand for this phone before launching into a massive 300k units/ day operation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, they brought it upon themselves.
    I love apple and all, but man are those people getting greedier by the minute.
    Launching a phone thats cheaper in production, at the same price and trying to fixate the user into thinking ' ohh.. Its for the colorful, so i should get one' is a crook's way.
    I love apple products, but their pricing has gone haywire. I live in India and an iphone 5s 16 gig will cost around 60000 rupees, which is twice my monthly salary. And bear in mind, I have completed my major in economics from one of the best institutes in Delhi University.
    No one in India would pay 50k for a 5c just because it has an apple logo on it. They would much rather buy a 5 or even a 4s. What apple doesnt understand is that they are doing fairly well quality wise, they just have to move down the price ladder, especially when they cut corners off a product.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

dsg (10-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My wife loves her Iphone 5c, Apple got to cut the greed dump the 4s as the "free phone" go with the 5c everyone knows that Iphone 6 is less than a year away Ö

dsg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    My wife loves her Iphone 5c, Apple got to cut the greed dump the 4s as the "free phone" go with the 5c everyone knows that Iphone 6 is less than a year away …
    come on, they could have made the iPhone 5 free on contract so yeah cut the greed, kill the 5c completely
    Last edited by dsg; 10-10-2013 at 10:43 PM.