+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qualcomm Backs Away from Statements Regarding the A7 Chip Being a “Marketing Gimmick"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Qualcomm Backs Away from Statements Regarding the A7 Chip Being a “Marketing Gimmick"

Apple’s supplier, Qualcomm recently backed away from statements made by a senior executive that the 64-bit capabilities of the iPhone 5S’ A7 processor are a “marketing gimmick.” A Qualcomm spokesperson said the following in an email:

The comments made by Anand Chandrasekher, Qualcomm CMO, about 64-bit computing were inaccurate. The mobile hardware and software ecosystem is already moving in the direction of 64-bit; and, the evolution to 64-bit brings desktop class capabilities and user experiences to mobile, as well as enabling mobile processors and software to run new classes of computing devices.
    For those of you who didn’t know, last week Qualcomm’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer, Anand Chandrasekher, caused a stir by saying that iPhone 5S buyers would see little in the way of benefits from the device’s 64-bit chip. He had said the following:

I know there's a lot of noise because Apple did [64-bit] on their A7. I think they are doing a marketing gimmick. There's zero benefit a consumer gets from that.
    The Qualcomm executive’s remarks caused many to raise their eyebrows as he also hinted towards Qualcomm, the supplier of the LTE chips used inside Apple’s mobile devices, to soon come out with its own 64-bit mobile processors. According to him, such a development “just makes sense [from an engineering standpoint].” Qualcomm didn’t go into further detail on the benefits consumers could expect to see stemming from a move to 64-bit architecture in mobile devices. According to Chandrasekher, the applications typically benefitting from such processing power are large, server-class applications running on devices with 4 GB of memory or more.

Meanwhile, the Cupertino California company has maintained since introducing the iPhone 5S and the A7 processor that access to the 64-bit architecture “almost always” results in apps running better. Apple claims the following:

Among other architecture improvements, a 64-bit ARM processor includes twice as many integer and floating-point registers as earlier processors do. As a result, 64-bit apps can work with more data at once for improved performance.

Apps that extensively use 64-bit integer math or custom NEON operations see even larger performance gains. In a 64-bit process, pointers are 64 bits and some integer types, once 32 bits, are now 64 bits.
    Despite the comments made, many companies in the mobile industry seem to be moving toward a 64-bit processor as well. Google’s Android platform is rumored to go to the 64-bit route along with Samsung in their next-gen smartphones.

Source: Qualcomm via Macworld

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don’t know why anyone would lend any credit to his comment anyway. You know what Chief Marketing Officers do their whole life? Marketing! They know jack about computing architecture and only know how to spin information to their advantage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-09-2013)

Thanks

+1 they are much like reporters or any kind of "analyst" who spend their career behind a desk.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

Where does he work now ?

Thanks

SOunds like Schmidt with his Androids are more secure because of 1 billion activations haha! Stick to what you know..money and management.

Thanks

Faux Pas... You don't slag off 64bit tec when your own company is about to release a line of 64bit processors... What a pranny!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CCNPJediHacker For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-09-2013)

Thanks

Besides, we're gonna need that power to run all the apps and the rootkit that the NSA installs on our phones!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

ABOSWORTH (10-09-2013), buggsy2 (10-09-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see what the big problem with his comment is. Will anyone really notice the difference right now? I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, 64 bit processors for phones are definitely the way to go but right now, it doesn't mean much.

The funny thing is, if any company besides Apple had come out with 64 bit processors first, everyone on here would be agreeing with the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Besides, we're gonna need that power to run all the apps and the rootkit that the NSA installs on our phones!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ABOSWORTH For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-09-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol.... Wow, Apple is really going so far as to lie? The only possible thing you could use a 64-bit processor for is if you have an app that uses over 4GB of RAM at one time. You don't even need it for putting more than 4GB of RAM into the phone itself. People will say "Oh, you need to run a 64-bit OS to use more than 4GB of RAM," but in the world of UNIX and Linux, that's not true. You can get over 64GB of RAM into a single 32-bit computer. (Remember, iOS is built on top of UNIX.) Any one application can't use more than 4GB of RAM at a time, but what mobile phone application is gonna use 4GB of RAM within the next 5 years?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Right now an iPhone with a 64bit CPU is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. iOS 7 is not a 64 bit Operating System and the iPhone does not have, nor can take advantage of, more than 4GB of RAM.
    More pointless marketing to add to the likes of Thunderbolt. What good is having the potential of 10Gbps transfer speeds if the HDD/SSD attached can only manage a few hundred Mbps...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

hogcia (10-09-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quade321 View Post
    The only possible thing you could use a 64-bit processor for is if you have an app that uses over 4GB of RAM at one time. You don't even need it for putting more than 4GB of RAM into the phone itself
    Wrong. There are numbers of other benefits if you get the pun.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Lol.... Wow, Apple is really going so far as to lie? The only possible thing you could use a 64-bit processor for is if you have an app that uses over 4GB of RAM at one time.
    You're wrong. Every instance of this argument I've read has given little more explanation of what you are now. But I've read plenty of independent, detailed descriptions from actual computer engineers and software developers that explain how a device even without 4GB of RAM can benefit from 64-bit architecture. The real world experience benefit is debatable, but the benefit is real.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I am glad Apple brought 64-bit to the table, in a way forcing everyone else to follow. This is exactly what AMD did to Intel. I do believe that there are no benefits to 64-bit as of right now, but we had to start somewhere.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-09-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    Where does he work now ?

Will the Qualcom gentelman please remove his foot from his mouth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I knew his comments were bullcrap the minute he announced that they were also creating a 64-bit processor... lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Putting a 64-bit chip in a device that doesn't have more than 4 GB of RAM yet in a world that's moving toward 64-bit chips isn't a marketing gimmick, it was an inevitability and a wise decision to prepare for when smartphones and tablets DO have more than 4 GB of RAM.

Want to know what a marketing gimmick is? Putting more pixels in a phone than the naked eye can see. Now *that's* a marketing gimmick.

I'm looking at you, Samsung.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

64 bit does actually bring minor improvements to current iphones, but its main sell point is it's potential. We can potentially have 8gbs on our mobile devices now, however we don't need 8gbs yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

You knew he was clueless when he bashes Apple on one hand and then says they (Qualcomm) will be releasing their own 64-bit chip.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol.... Wow, Apple is really going so far as to lie? The only possible thing you could use a 64-bit processor for is if you have an app that uses over 4GB of RAM at one time. You don't even need it for putting more than 4GB of RAM into the phone itself. People will say "Oh, you need to run a 64-bit OS to use more than 4GB of RAM," but in the world of UNIX and Linux, that's not true. You can get over 64GB of RAM into a single 32-bit computer. (Remember, iOS is built on top of UNIX.) Any one application can't use more than 4GB of RAM at a time, but what mobile phone application is gonna use 4GB of RAM within the next 5 years?

You really shouldn't be so outspoken about topics that you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. This is just one benefit from 64bit.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SeedlessOne For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (10-09-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    SOunds like Schmidt with his Androids are more secure because of 1 billion activations haha! Stick to what you know..money and management.
    More like Schmidt and his hemorrhoids...