+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's Eric Schmidt: Android is More Secure than the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Google's Eric Schmidt: Android is More Secure than the iPhone

Google chair, Eric Schmidt, recently raised eyebrows and also got a few unintentional laughs when he recently stated Google’s Android platform is more secure than Apple’s iPhone. His remarks came in the course of a question-and-answer session at the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo, according to ZDNet. A Gartner analyst said to Schmidt that most people in the in the audience would not name Android as their primary platform and went on to note the operating system’s notorious security problems. Schmidt said the following in his interview:

Not secure? It's more secure than the iPhone.
    According to reports, Schmidt didn’t provide any further details on these remarks, instead going on to cite Android’s billion-strong activation numbers. This figure, he claimed, led to considerable real-world security testing. When the Gartner analyst again raised the issue toward the end of the session, Schmidt remained firm and gave the same response.

Over the years, Google has built new security features into its mobile platform but the number of malware attacks on Google’s operating system continues to grow. Apple’s iOS platform comparatively accounts for a small percentage of attacks, partly due to Apple’s strict control over the apps that are published in its App Store.

The enterprise segment in particular has noted that security gap and Apple continues to grow in the sector despite Android’s overall mobile market share lead. The addition of Touch ID, the iPhone 5S’ built-in biometric scanner, is seen by some as a means of expanding Apple’s security lead.

How do you feel about Eric Schmidt’s statement about Android being more secure than the iPhone?

Source: ZDNet

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 1,860 Posts

Was he high or something? Ahaha Numbers doesn't mean it's more secure!
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Green Apple
    Thanks

I believe android is more secured than iOS...

cuz no one wants to hack android... :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Usual brain-dead drivel by Schmidt. We have more phones activated therefore our phones are more safe. Sound logic huh?

Android has been PROVEN to be be attacked by malware through apps and numerous other methods. iPhone not so much so. There's also a reason iphone leads in enterprise.

Banned
    Thanks

Of course iPhones are now more secure as everyone has moved to Android and nobody owns iPhones anymore. Nobody is interested in it so no hackers are interested in hacking it.

Oh, and think about Virus Scanners. There are many on Android. How many Virus Scanners are there on iPhone? There are iPhone viruses and no way to stop them.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 1,860 Posts

^^^Yep keep telling urself that! ROTFL 😂😭😂
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (10-08-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Keep passing out that Android Kool-Aid to the masses Schmidt... some of them are bound to drink it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    Of course iPhones are now more secure as everyone has moved to Android and nobody owns iPhones anymore. Nobody is interested in it so no hackers are interested in hacking it.

Oh, and think about Virus Scanners. There are many on Android. How many Virus Scanners are there on iPhone? There are iPhone viruses and no way to stop them.
    You never go full retard

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Answer1o1 For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (10-08-2013), Silverado1987 (10-08-2013), thazsar (10-08-2013)

Thanks

Google and Samsung is trying so hard. If they think the droid is more secure or better, why keep attacking (and copying) Apple. If you have a good product then it will sell on its own without the bashing.
    Be unique!

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I think this guy was pretty high at the time of him saying this.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    I think this guy was pretty high at the time of him saying this.
    Eric Schmidt is such a dreamer and likes to stir the pot since Apple dumped Google

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is my opinion, but if you define malware as software that masks itself as one thing, but does something deviant, like pretending to be useful software, but secretly it’s harvesting your personal data, then Android itself is malware!

But on to the facts. I don’t think Touch ID itself necessarily improves the security of iOS, but I think it’s a great way for people to begin using a phone lock for the first time that didn’t want to deal with passcodes before. Therefore, due to general human behavior, it does make it more secure.

Is the iPhone more secure than Android? I don’t know that either. Both have lock screens that can be bypassed by someone with a little bit of knowledge. But apple does have the activation lock built right in. With Android you have to jump through some hoops to get that kind of functionality.

What I do know is that making a basic statement that your OS is more secure without any backup is very weak. People shouldn’t say things unless they have something substantial to back it up. Clearly Schmidt had nothing, else he would have said it. He’s beginning to sound like some of his fanboy following.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

These pigs have so much money and still it's not enough. Please remind them that the day they die they leave it ALLLLLLLLLL behind.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am sure he does not know what he is saying. He is trying to compare an OS (Android) to a hardware (iPhone). DUMB ***!

Thanks

One thing crosses my mind..HOW? That is never explained. Instead he recites what was already spoken. We have more users?? AHAHAHA! I don't see any security features on Android phones beyond the lock screen..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Any comments on this should be based on facts, since I'm not sure …

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Well, what a liar. The lie police aren't going to arrest him, so I guess he can lie as much as he wants in order to make his company look good.

I guess he's drawing from a recent article that quoted an antivirus company that was bitter that iOS doesn't need their business. They said that Apple has the potential to be less secure if they don't open their platform to antivirus software, which is ridiculous.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The fact that you can install apps without an App Store makes the phone less secure right there. Unless that feature has been changed on android. Also, why is there always a root for android a week after any new software release? Also, I've never heard of a hurtful virus on iOS. I've heard of malware that slips through occasionally and security holes being patched that no one had publicly taken advantage of. And having the hardware NFC in a phone makes Android less secure, too.

Name 10 viruses that have attacked ios. There are way more viruses created everyday for android devices. That's why there are virus scans on android. Hackers are still interested in hacking ios, it's just been a lot tougher due to step ups in security from apple. Also, if no one owns and iPhone anymore, how did the iPhone gain marketshare the last quarter?
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 10-08-2013 at 06:54 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you get it all wrong!
    He simply means that all Google related outputs,Android included are google-spoofed with Back-doors for the NSA and all other governmental agencies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Apparently you live in opposite land. 100 million people must be wrong... bwahahahaha