+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Security Researchers Discover Issue with Control Center's Airplane Mode Shortcut

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Security Researchers Discover Issue with Control Center's Airplane Mode Shortcut

When iOS 7 was released, many people found the addition of an easily accessible control panel for turning on features such as Wi-Fi, brightness and Airplane Mode from the iPhone’s lock screen as a welcome addition to iOS 7. Unfortunately, it isn’t as great as everyone had made it out to be as a group of German security researchers recently discovered that the feature may provide a backdoor for thieves to break into your phone.

The Control Center shortcut for Airplane Mode can be used for a workaround which can be seen in the video below:

If executed correctly, the workaround gives the thief time to spoof your fingerprint to bypass the iPhone 5S touchID reader. Although spoofing a fingerprint doesn’t seem as easy as it sounds, it’s still a risk that iPhone 5S users should be aware of. The process still requires a high degree of skill that your common iPhone thief probably doesn’t have.

Despite that, it’s only a few weeks into the iPhone’s release and as time goes on, these methods will become more refined and easier to pull off. Fortunately we do have a world of security professionals who continue to keep an eye out and point out issues such as these. Ultimately, just to be on the safe side, the best way to keep your iOS device protected is to just not lose it or let it get in the wrong hands in the first place.

Source: ZDNet

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

So I guess the first thing for now we need to do if our iPhone get stolen or lose is change your email password, in that case the thieve is not going to be able to verify with apple that it was changed by the original owner. I think.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I guess this is an issue, considering the phones are worth £600 each, once you invest in the stuff needed ie latex equipment, its just a matter of needing a fingerprint & more than likely, you will get one off the screen.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't remember previous versions of iOS being as buggy as 7 appears to be

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Update 7.0.3 coming release the JB

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like 7.0.4 is just around the corner...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Same thing is accomplished by removing the SIM. In both cases, all they have is data-less iPod Touch because once a data connection is made, any issued remote wipe commands will zap it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

The easiest way around this is to disable Control Center when the phone is locked, which you can do from Settings. Android phones have had face recognition, which has been fooled by just a photo of the person; so these security faults are not an iPhone only phenomenon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    I guess this is an issue, considering the phones are worth £600 each, once you invest in the stuff needed ie latex equipment, its just a matter of needing a fingerprint & more than likely, you will get one off the screen.
    iPhone's have oleophobic screens. Unless you eat fried chicken and potato chips while you use your phone, there's no way they can get a print with enough definition to create the spoofed one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Keep your iPhone close at all times.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Seems like a lot of time effort, and investment in the right hardware to pull off. I think I'd just steal a hight end Android phone instead. Much easier.

But in this case a quick solution is to disable control center in lock screen. Using touch ID to unlock is so fast there's no need for lock screen control center.

Bottom line is vulnerabilities will always be found. Nothing is 100% secure. And the more flexible and more options and features you offer, the more opportunity exists. But overall the rusk is small. 99.9% of people won't even have an attempt from someone trying to steal their phone. And 99.99999% won't run into thrives with this level of sophistication. So just relax and be smart with your valuables and you'll be fine.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (10-05-2013), slim.jim (10-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    The easiest way around this is to disable Control Center when the phone is locked, which you can do from Settings. Android phones have had face recognition, which has been fooled by just a photo of the person; so these security faults are not an iPhone only phenomenon.
    I'm guessing that means that good ol' are one of the best ways of protection against theft. I always thought face recognition and fingerprint scanning were just gimmicks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

So what you're saying is, is that if someone isn't stupid they'll be fine because they wouldn't just leave their phone lying around. Holy crap this man a genius. -.-

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

Common thieves aren't going to have equipment like this! Their in it for the quick $$$. Steal plenty of phones and jump the state line and dump/sell them off cheap.

My phone is always in my pocket or if at a restaurant it's right by my side and not 1 foot away from sitting on the table. A message for the lady's. STOP putting your damn phone in your back pocket!!! That's like advertising to a thief saying come take my phone. I hope that's not being offensive and sorry, but where i live i see this everyday and a lot of women and especially young females doing this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

Like someone else said, this is no different than popping
    Out the SIM card, not really a bug you cry
    Babies.

Thanks

To me nothing should be able to be accessed from the lock screen. Cause that always leaves a back door to everything else.
    Last edited by towboattrash34; 10-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys I found a new iOS 7 lock screen bypass! Okay here are the steps:
    1. stand next to someone with an iPhone.
    2. Watch them enter there pass code.
    3. Take there phone.
    4. Enter their pass code
    Boom you're in!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad I'm on iOS 6 jailbreak on my 5...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Unfound Legend For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (10-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by towboattrash34 View Post
    To me nothing should be able to be accessed from the lic screen. Cause that always leaves a back door to everything else.
    Exactly. Why do ppl need all these icons and stuff on their lock screen baffles me. Im not on ios7 so I have the luxury of setting gestures for toggles I want access to.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Common thieves aren't going to have equipment like this! Their in it for the quick $$$. Steal plenty of phones and jump the state line and dump/sell them off cheap.

Exactly, most thieves don't want a long hard process of unlocking the phone by creating a fingerprint and taking ownership, they want to get it and dump it as fast as possible. The only people I could see trying this kind of stuff is the Mafia or some other organized criminals with money to spend. Otherwise just be smart with your phone, and disable CC in the lock screen like others have mentioned.