+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Trade-ins Explode Following iPhone 5S Debut

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Not surprisingly, a large number of iPhone owners are looking to trade-in their older models for cash. But just how many smartphone owners are doing that is somewhat surprising. In
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPhone Trade-ins Explode Following iPhone 5S Debut

Not surprisingly, a large number of iPhone owners are looking to trade-in their older models for cash. But just how many smartphone owners are doing that is somewhat surprising.

In fact, according to the folks at Gazelle, a hugely popular trade-in service, iPhone trade-ins for the month of September exploded. Making it more impressive is the fact that iPhone trade-ins through Gazelle have been strong even though Apple itself - not to mention several of its top retail partners - now offer a trade-in program of their own.

The company told our friends at Apple Insider that iPhone trade-ins for cash payouts this month popped 53% (when compared to September 2012's iPhone 5 launch). Even more mind-blowing, trade-ins rose eighteenfold over the October 2011 launch of the iPhone 4S.

To be clear, however, more than just iPhones were traded-in last month. "Our higher trade-in values show an increase of new devices like the... Samsung Galaxy S III and S4," says Gazelle's Chief Gadget Officer Anthony Scarsella, "indicating consumers see the iPhone 5s as a worthy upgrade."

Source: AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I traded in my iPhone 5 with Game Stop for $355. After buying the 5S for $299 I had walking away money, so I can not complain.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptPalmer View Post
    I traded in my iPhone 5 with Game Stop for $355. After buying the 5S for $299 I had walking away money, so I can not complain.
    Have fun getting screwed in signing a contract.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 696 Posts

Ya sold mine for $410.00. Not worried about a contract either. Have multiple phones on my account and don't get upgraded everytime, so i can upgrade every year using the other lines upgrade

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Honestly these websites are ripping you off. Do a little extra work and you'll sell an extra $80+ from ebay or craigslist.

Thanks

...And a nice two-year contract!

Whoops Venom1234 beat me to it!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sold my iPhone 5 64gb for $500 to a friend of a friend & bought the 5s 64gb for $450 with a 2 year contract which I don't mind due to several lines on my account, so I know I came on top.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol sold my 4s 32gb for $300 (270 in pocket) 3 days prior to invitations to event . Value dropped to $270 after invitations and $220 after announcement ahah. Imo you got screwed cpt. Didn't make money imo, you could have got $450+ just by being informed (googling) about when it was expected to be announced/released and selling just a couple days prior..

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Those prices are absolutely insane.

iPhone 5 64GB (AT&T or Unlocked) $310 $300 $120

Do some research or sell on CL or eBay yourself would be my recommendation

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I sell my older model on eBay and renew my contract every year. I have two lines with AT&T, it's been working fine for me since the iPhone 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Problem with selling on eBay you have to pay fees to both eBay and paypal, plus shipping fee.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I sold an iPhone 5 on eBay for $485 3 days before the 5s released and I felt I got shortchanged on that.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    lol sold my 4s 32gb for $300 (270 in pocket) 3 days prior to invitations to event . Value dropped to $270 after invitations and $220 after announcement ahah. Imo you got screwed cpt. Didn't make money imo, you could have got $450+ just by being informed (googling) about when it was expected to be announced/released and selling just a couple days prior..
    No biggie, I was not in it for the money. I was in it for the phone and my goal was to be cash neutral or better, so I came out ahead. As far as a contract I could careless. I have been in contracts for over 10 years so big flipping deal. People bi*ch about contracts all the time. Whether you are in a contract or not the monthly costs is EXACTLY the same. I have an unlimited data plan so I am going nowhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 935 Posts

Its funny how peeps on here complain about the two year contract as if they're not going to be paying 'someone' for cellular service!?!? In the end, you still pay a carrier to use your iPhone.

What I've noticed, now, is that locked vs. unlocked doesn't make a difference anymore for resell. A year ago, it mattered; today, it doesn't. So, the haters can go ahead and enjoy paying full price for their unlocked phones! You're the ones taking a loss annually!!!

Thanks

How much money can I get for a like-new (no scratches or scuffs at all) custom red (back, front, & home button are completely red), permanently unlocked, iPhone 4, 32GB running iOS 7.0.2 if I sell it on Craigslist? I really want to upgrade as well to the iPhone 5s.
    Last edited by jose060789; 10-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree about the contracts. I'm not going anywhere any time soon so why not take advantage of the fact that carriers are still subsidizing phones? I'm always going to need a cell phone so why do I need to be out of contract? AT&T has excellent coverage all across the US and they are constantly improving their network.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    How much money can I get for a like-new (no scratches or scuffs at all) custom red (back, front, & home button are completely red), permanently unlocked, iPhone 4, 32GB running iOS 7.0.2 if I sell it on Craigslist? I really want to upgrade as well to the iPhone 5s.
    eBay is your better bet. I recently sold an iphone 4 16GB that was absolutely beautiful for $200. Memory isn't a factor at this point so its unlikely that'll bring in higher bids. The Red mod 'might' help you a little but prolly only $25 at the most.

BTW, I go to Craigslist to buy something cheaper than eBay so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    I agree about the contracts. I'm not going anywhere any time soon so why not take advantage of the fact that carriers are still subsidizing phones? I'm always going to need a cell phone so why do I need to be out of contract? AT&T has excellent coverage all across the US and they are constantly improving their network.
    +1

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

jose060789 (10-01-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't care about a 2 year contract? Big deal you still hVe to pay someone to use the phone. Who cares what carrier it is

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not very smart if you ask me, but what's done is done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    Not very smart if you ask me, but what's done is done.
    ^^^LOL! Good save! 😉 I saw what you did there!