+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Trade-ins Explode Following iPhone 5S Debut

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by thazsar Its funny how peeps on here complain about the two year contract as if they're not going to be paying 'someone' for cellular service!?!? In the
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Its funny how peeps on here complain about the two year contract as if they're not going to be paying 'someone' for cellular service!?!? In the end, you still pay a carrier to use your iPhone.

What I've noticed, now, is that locked vs. unlocked doesn't make a difference anymore for resell. A year ago, it mattered; today, it doesn't. So, the haters can go ahead and enjoy paying full price for their unlocked phones! You're the ones taking a loss annually!!!
    You can get cheaper service if you're not in contract. AT&T has GoPhone and Aio Wireless, and Straight Talk is a good option if you don't use too much data. T-Mobile is cheaper without paying extra money for your phone each month. Sprint has lots of prepaid options. You might as well update on Verizon unless you have unlimited data.

Also, locked vs. unlocked does matter if you want the most cash for resale. That's why Verizon LTE phones are so expensive. They all come unlocked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    How much money can I get for a like-new (no scratches or scuffs at all) custom red (back, front, & home button are completely red), permanently unlocked, iPhone 4, 32GB running iOS 7.0.2 if I sell it on Craigslist? I really want to upgrade as well to the iPhone 5s.
    Craigslist is hit or miss sometimes. I'd suggest some ebay watching to find out what the price is going for and offering yours for one comparable.

Also, I remember way back selling my iPhone 3GS for $650 to someone in Canada. It was JB and unlocked. Good times. I bought the 4s with that money for $400. So I pocketed $250. Crazy. I just sold that same 4s for $305 and bought the 5s for $400. Guess I lost a bit huh? Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
    Have fun getting screwed in signing a contract.
    I don't plan on leaving att so how is it im getting "screwed"? I'd pay the same paying full price for my phone so may as well let them subsidize a bit of the cost for me..... as far as "trading" in a phone.... SUCKERS!!!! You're getting ripped off and happily doing it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

These trade in deals are a joke. Nothing beats eBay for selling last years iPhone model at top dollar. I always help my friends sell theirs as well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yah eBay is not bad, but their fees are outrageous lately. recently sold my iPhone 5 64gb for $400 and got hit with $80 in eBay plus Paypal fees.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Ill be able to sell the iPhone 4. For 150-200$ ....

Ill be re signing my contract. Which isn't anything now adays. Ill be paying some jack off monthly period. All the same prices, same plans.... Just cheaper phone price... With my John Hancock saying ill stay for 2-3 years...

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    These trade in deals are a joke. Nothing beats eBay for selling last years iPhone model at top dollar. I always help my friends sell theirs as well.
    Very true... I sold my iPhone 5 16Gb factory unlocked and UDID registered for $435
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not a single comment about paying off your contract to close your existing outstanding contract cost ? Lets say your payoff is $350 to close your verizon obligation, and you sell your iPhone 5 for $300. Your net out of pocket is $50. Then you
    Need to go get a new phone and contact for $199. So your GRAND TOTAL is $250 for your new iPhone 5s.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    Not a single comment about paying off your contract to close your existing outstanding contract cost ? Lets say your payoff is $350 to close your verizon obligation, and you sell your iPhone 5 for $300. Your net out of pocket is $50. Then you
    Need to go get a new phone and contact for $199. So your GRAND TOTAL is $250 for your new iPhone 5s.
    Why would we be paying off our contract?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (10-02-2013), Silverado1987 (10-02-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 689 Posts

Why would we be paying off our contract?
    BINGO!!! Lol that's what's nice about having more than 1 line. Use the other lines upgrades but use the device under your number. Just let the other lines contracts end.

This year was my line that was able to upgrade. Next year will be the other line. Just go back and forth. No need to spend money for ETF(Early Termination Fee)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,986 Times in 4,507 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by russian711 View Post
    Yah eBay is not bad, but their fees are outrageous lately. recently sold my iPhone 5 64gb for $400 and got hit with $80 in eBay plus Paypal fees.
    That's wrong. You must have owed eBay fees for other sales. Or tariffs if you're non US.. total fees to eBay and PayPal on a $400 sale should have come out to under $40.

What I've noticed, now, is that locked vs. unlocked doesn't make a difference anymore for resell. A year ago, it mattered; today, it doesn't. So, the haters can go ahead and enjoy paying full price for their unlocked phones! You're the ones taking a loss annually!!!
    Well as I mentioned to you, I think, in a PM recently and to others I've chatted with about the same topic - it DOES matter --> the difference between LOCKED and UNLOCKED, to a WELL-INFORMED eBAY buyer.. I got myself in trouble - when an UNLOCK got RE-LOCKED a few months ago.. My buyer was ANGRY that he'd paid the UNLOCK price point for a LOCKED phone. When a person buys a LOCKED phone - they have to get it unlocked from AT&T and they give your eBAY BUYER the run around and it's a giant hassle.

BACK BEFORE it was 'illegal' to unlock an in-contract phone - people would do what they call 'burn an updgrade' and make a nice little profit on the phone selling on eBAY but the UNDERSTANDING ALWAYS is - that for the 'higher price point 'on eBAY you BETTER be deliviering me an UNLOCKED, out-of-contract phone.

So you guys who are 'getting away with it' - selling a LOCKED phone, IN CONTRACT (or out of contract for that matter) for THE HIGHER price point - -you're only getting away with it because some 'non-US' customer who can barely understand English.. is not understanding what they're getting.

I know of THREE cases with friends of mine - that EVEN when they explained in the Description that it was LOCKED - got a NEGATIVE feedback on eBAY and eBAY sided with the BUYER after the buyer complained that they were overcharged for the item they thought they were getting.

So beware.. Don't get greedy.. The only way you should be asking for the $450 and higher price point for an iPhone 5 is when it's out of contract and unlocked upon arrival to your buyer.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

How do you create two lines at no cost to avoid early termination fee? Yes you are not canceling your contract. But you still need to sell your other iPhone. And you can't clear that iPhone for someone else to use if its on your account.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 915 Posts

@Newdestiny
    I'm still on the fence about the locked vs unlocked argument. I, JUST NOW, sold another ip4 I had. I listed it at 6:30p Pacific w/ a Buy It Now of $150. At 6:31p it was sold! In the TITLE and DESCRIPTION it says AT&T and states that I can unlock it for them if they choose. The buyer CLEARLY understands that the device is locked to AT&T, yet, still chooses to buy it.

As we've discussed, privately, I don't think I would've gotten any extra cash if it was already unlocked. Check unlocked 16GB iPhone 4(s) and compare pricing to locked iPhone 4(s); I doubt you'll see a difference.

As long as I put this info in the description, I'm not 'tricking' the buyer into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    How do you create two lines at no cost to avoid early termination fee? Yes you are not canceling your contract. But you still need to sell your other iPhone. And you can't clear that iPhone for someone else to use if its on your account.
    You can't create two lines at no cost. The extra line costs $10/month (AT&T). BUT, you can go back later and show that the other line isn't using a Data Plan and AT&T will drop that from your bill!!! At least, that's what I've done in the past.
    Last edited by thazsar; 10-03-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

I had an Iphone 4, Keeping it as back up and bought a 5 for $49 2 year contract, convinced At&t to credit the activation on that upgrade plus my Wife's 5c activation and then they gave me an additional credit on a couple other fees, total was $109 off the Bill and then Best Buy is sending a $50 gift card for Wife's $99 5c............ So I spent about $98 in the end for a New 5 and 5c Plus I have my 4 as back up ( I will use it when Camping) and my wife's 4 is going to our son in law who has a 3gs.
    I have been with At&t since Cingular bought them and have family plan (4 Iphones). I still have grandfathered Unlimited data.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12