+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NYPD Recommends iOS 7 Upgrade for iOS Device Owning New Yorkers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default NYPD Recommends iOS 7 Upgrade for iOS Device Owning New Yorkers

New York City’s Police Department has been looking to cut back smartphone crimes for quite some time and it has recently been discovered that they are pushing for the general public to update their iOS devices to iOS 7. The NYPD seems to be informing iPhone-owning residents to update their devices to the latest version of iOS in order to obtain new security features designed to thwart potential thieves.

NYPD officers were handing out informational flyers to the general public urging them to upgrade to iOS 7 in order to take advantage of the security features Apple has built into its latest operating system. Twitter user Michael Hoffman published one of the flyers being handed out by the NYPD (as you can see above).

To be more specific, the police are hoping that iPhone users will upgrade, which in turn will automatically install Apple’s Activation Lock feature. The security feature keeps a thief from erasing a phone’s data and reactivating it. The original Apple ID and password used to activate the device will be needed to perform such activations as well as be required to deactivate the Find My iPhone feature which seems to have come in handy to police officials.

For those of you who didn’t know, New York in particular has a considerable problem with the theft of iPhones and other Apple products. Between January 1 and September 23 of last year, the city saw 11,447 recorded thefts of Apple products. The theft of Apple products have accounted for 14.4% of major crimes and have risen from 2011 in 2012, which have outpaced all other crimes over the same time period. Government officials from both New York and San Francisco are repeatedly calling Apple and other device makers urging them to build better security features into their smartphones and tablets. Security features introduced with iOS 7 were seen as being a step in the right direction and apparently good enough for officials to be handing out flyers.

Source: Michael Hoffman (Twitter) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that a lot of thefts!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

I need my jailbreak so screw them lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's awesome that they're doing this! Crazy how many iPhone thefts their are! I really hope those numbers go down because of the new security on iOS 7!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

What if someone managed to downgrade his firmware lower than iOS 7, will he be able to activate this iPhone ?
    What if you decide to sell the iPhone , do you still need to use the original activation to activate ?
    Last edited by iYeow; 09-23-2013 at 09:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually wonder, is it possible to still go into DFU and restoring?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im sure most theives know about DFU mode, if DFU mode is still there;
    cant they just go on dfu, restore and bam " brand new" iphone?

unless the activation process is only with original owner.

but even then, what if i were to sell my iphone... definitely not gonna update to answer my own questions lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsancheezz View Post
    Im sure most theives know about DFU mode, if DFU mode is still there;
    cant they just go on dfu, restore and bam " brand new" iphone?

unless the activation process is only with original owner.

but even then, what if i were to sell my iphone... definitely not gonna update to answer my own questions lol.
    DFU mode will always be there, doesn't matter though. Activation in iOS7 is tied to your iCloud (assuming you set that up). So only that persons apple id and password will activate it after a restore.