+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Supply of Apple's iPhone 5S Sells Out with Shipments Being Pushed Back to October

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Supply of Apple's iPhone 5S Sells Out with Shipments Being Pushed Back to October

Just a little over two days after Apple began its worldwide rollout of the iPhone 5S, the company’s Online Apple Stores in each of the 11 countries participating in the phone’s launch are showing stock outs until October. As of late Saturday, Apple’s online storefronts in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK and US all show no available inventory for all nine iPhone 5S variations with delivery dates being pushed back into October.

The first model to go in each country was the new gold version, stock of which was rumored to be severely constrained prior to launch day. Even China’s iPhone 5S reservation system, which was meant to dissuade scalpers and help manage crowds, foreshadowed the high demand when it opened earlier this week.

Apple’s 64 GB “Space Gray” iPhone 5S was the next to sell out online and in a number of other countries, with multiple reports coming in mentioning that the model has been sold out at physical Apple Stores in the US, Canada, Australia, China, France, Hong Kong. Supply of the silver iPhone 5S, the only color to carryover from the iPhone 5, was last to sell out in many countries.

Although it took a little bit longer for the iPhone 5S to sell out compared to last year’s iPhone 5, there were several factors that have to be kept in mind, including the simultaneous release of the cheaper iPhone 5C. Comparatively, the supply for the iPhone 5C still appears to be high, with the Online Apple Store quoting ship-by times for the device as being within 24 hours.

Were you able to get your hands on an iPhone 5S? If so, what was your experience like?

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah the 5c was a complete waste of time! Apple really dropped the ball with the price. Should've been cheaper.
    Last edited by rockyseay; 09-22-2013 at 03:35 AM.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I sure apple limited the supplies for the 5s in order to increase the 5c sales

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Faresismail For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (09-22-2013)

Thanks

Gotta wait until Oct 18th for my 64gb here in the UK

Thanks

Enjoying my space grey 5S. Standing in line for only three hours was well worth it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Yeah the 5c was a complete waste of time! Apple really dropped the ball with the price. Should've been cheaper.
    It's comments like this that make me laugh. Maybe you don't understand how this whole thing works. Each year when a new iphone model comes out, the previous years model jumps down in price to $99 for the 16Gig and $199 for the 32Gig. That's what happened with the 3G vs. 3Gs, as well as the 4 and the 4s. This year, instead of releasing the iphone 5 as the cheaper model when the 5s came out, they released a new variety of colors with the 5c. It is the same thing as the 5, with the exception of the outside plastic case. In all honest, from what I have used, the build quality is very good and reminds me a bit of the 3G. Very sturdy and seems like it is going to be stronger in some cases than its predecessor.

So the point is that the phone would have been the 5 and the 5s, but apple wanted to give a bigger variety to people, while still creating something unique. Cheap? I think not. I think people are going to love these things. If it wasn't for the 64bit processor, camera, and finger sensor on the 5s I'd be getting the 5c.

By the way, I am going to have to wait until October to get my 5s. Really bummed, but oh well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (09-22-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    It's comments like this that make me laugh. Maybe you don't understand how this whole thing works. Each year when a new iphone model comes out, the previous years model jumps down in price to $99 for the 16Gig and $199 for the 32Gig. That's what happened with the 3G vs. 3Gs, as well as the 4 and the 4s. This year, instead of releasing the iphone 5 as the cheaper model when the 5s came out, they released a new variety of colors with the 5c. It is the same thing as the 5, with the exception of the outside plastic case. In all honest, from what I have used, the build quality is very good and reminds me a bit of the 3G. Very sturdy and seems like it is going to be stronger in some cases than its predecessor.

So the point is that the phone would have been the 5 and the 5s, but apple wanted to give a bigger variety to people, while still creating something unique. Cheap? I think not. I think people are going to love these things. If it wasn't for the 64bit processor, camera, and finger sensor on the 5s I'd be getting the 5c.

By the way, I am going to have to wait until October to get my 5s. Really bummed, but oh well.
    +👍

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post

You cannot say that the 5c i almost the equivalent of the 5. The iphone 5 looks fancy while the 5c is plastic and looks like some sort of toy. Even though the core is still the same, i would much rater have the 5 instead of the 5c.

Apple is selling the iphone 5c at the iphone 5 price. And this is wrong since the production cost of the 5c is much lower than the 5 considering its "plastic" therefore apple is increasing there profits. They didnt make the 5c to guve people a variety of colors to chose from, they made it to increase there gains.
    Last edited by Faresismail; 09-22-2013 at 07:55 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Faresismail For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (09-22-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Had an online order. Then went to the Apple store just to check one out in person yesterday afternoon. Turned out they had several in stock still, including the 64GB space gray I wanted. It only took 30 minutes to buy and canceled the online order.

I wonder if news of low stock kept more people from even trying to buy in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    I sure apple limited the supplies for the 5s in order to increase the 5c sales
    Did you miss the part where they said supply lasted longer than the 5 launch last year? Put your foil hat back on.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

The title here is a bit misleading. I bought my gold 64gb 3 minutes after the gates opened and I got the 7-10 day shipment and delivery between October 8-11. Thats a 19 to 21 day wait where in the past I had it in hand in about a week. So it appears that the gold version was already shipping in October before they started selling them.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple is selling the iphone 5c at the iphone 5 price. And this is wrong since the production cost of the 5c is much lower than the 5 considering its "plastic" therefore apple is increasing there profits. They didnt make the 5c to guve people a variety of colors to chose from, they made it to increase there gains.
    You have zero proof of that. Even if it costs less, it's likely small enough as to not make a difference to consumer pricing. Would you really chance your mind if it's $5 cheaper? I'd bet its nothing drastic like $50 difference per phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You cannot say that the 5c i almost the equivalent of the 5. The iphone 5 looks fancy while the 5c is plastic and looks like some sort of toy. Even though the core is still the same, i would much rater have the 5 instead of the 5c.

Apple isn’t trying to sell you an iPhone 5c, they are trying to sell it to people who have been complaining about lack of color choice for the past 5 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    You have zero proof of that. Even if it costs less, it's likely small enough as to not make a difference to consumer pricing. Would you really chance your mind if it's $5 cheaper? I'd bet its nothing drastic like $50 difference per phone.
    Actually replacing the aluminum with plastic will increase apples profit, and even though it will not really change the consumer pricing it is still significantly reducing the production price thus saving apple quite a lot of money!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Apple isn’t trying to sell you an iPhone 5c, they are trying to sell it to people who have been complaining about lack of color choice for the past 5 years.
    The people complaining are less than 10% of the iPhone users since most know that you can buy covers or even send the iPhone to companies like mendmyi to have its color changed
    Last edited by Faresismail; 09-22-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ordered online 2 min after the site went live and my order is being prepared for shipment!!!!! I'm one of the 1-3 business days ppl. Hopefully ill get it this week!!!!! Yay!!!

Thanks

Friday morning I went to Bestbuy but the only had a 64 GB Space Gray for At&t. So I went to another and they had no 5s at all so I decided to stop at the At&t store where they had plenty of 5s iPhone's and no waiting time.

Thanks
    I left the line when they said they had no gold.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So Apples marketing worked a treat, by restricting the amount of stock, they get the headlines in all the media they wanted

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I've got a November wait for my 32GB Champagne (Gold I just like the rumour name better) Verizon model. Not to pleased but I knew it would happen so oh well. And I ordered mine on Friday too so it's not like I waited a day or two.

Thanks

I went to two different AT&T stores, an apple store, and BestBuy on Friday. Nobody had anything other than space grey. And they didn't sell out of the other colors. They said that's all they received from apple. So me and my sister had to order them online. My silver one wont be here till October 8-11th and my sisters gold one doesn't even have an ETA yet. It just says October.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I've got a November wait for my 32GB Champagne (Gold I just like the rumour name better) Verizon model. Not to pleased but I knew it would happen so oh well. And I ordered mine on Friday too so it's not like I waited a day or two.
    when did you order it?
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw more people buying the 5c at the verizon store than 5s. I waited about 5 min for my 5s. Someone was buying the last silver 5s when I arrived. (11am)