+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Reportedly Sends Spies to Uncover Apple's iPhone Launch Line Phenom

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Reportedly Sends Spies to Uncover Apple's iPhone Launch Line Phenom

Although Samsung’s commercials may poke fun of Apple fans and the fact that they wait in large lines for iOS device releases, the South Korean tech giant may not be above trying to figure out just what drives fans to queue up for hours and days in advance. Samsung sent a video and photography crew to document the lines at Apple’s flagship Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan as Apple fans lined up to get the new generation iPhones. Their goal according to CNET: figuring out what had those customers so excite d that they would just stand in line for hours (and in some cases, days) to be the first to get their hands on a new phone.

According to one Samsung operative:

Other companies release new phones, but there's not as much passion and heat. It's only Apple. Why? We're curious.
    The crew reportedly only documented the scene in front of the Fifth Avenue store, occasionally asking line-sitters questions such as:

Is the line shorter or longer this year than last?
    and

Is the crowd more excited or less excited than previous years?
    The crew seemed most interested in what consumers felt Apple’s “cool factor” was and if it was waning among the loyal Apple fans. The folks over at CNET note that the video group was not from Samsung’s electronics arm; it was instead from the conglomerate’s broadcasting segment, Samsung Broadcasting Center/Cheil Worldwide. The segment occasionally works with Samsung Electronics on projects and both are divisions of the parent company Samsung Group, but there is so far no indication that the video documenting was done at the request of Samsung Electronics.

Both Apple and Samsung have been locked in a war against with another for years now, all for the supremacy in the global smartphone market, both in terms of sales and in the courts. Combined, the two company’s take in all of the industry’s profits, with other manufacturers losing money or just breaking even.

We’ll have to see what comes of the whole ordeal if and when more concrete information is revealed.

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Haha - this is sad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Haha - this is sad
    Not really. Every company will take steps, whatever they may be to find out why their competitors are successful. What Samsung don't realise is that it takes time and that their isn't much they can do to get around that.
    Apple were a niche product maker and underdog and some people loved that. Their audience grew because they had a good ad team and a few hardcore users recommended them to colleagues, family and friends as a completely different experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Not really. Every company will take steps, whatever they may be to find out why their competitors are successful. What Samsung don't realise is that it takes time and that their isn't much they can do to get around that.
    Apple were a niche product maker and underdog and some people loved that. Their audience grew because they had a good ad team and a few hardcore users recommended them to colleagues, family and friends as a completely different experience.
    I understand this as I work in marketing but the whole thing about the commercials of them mocking the line only to want to figure out how to get people to do the same for their products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I understand this as I work in marketing but the whole thing about the commercials of them mocking the line only to want to figure out how to get people to do the same for their products.
    Good point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here's the problem, you have Apple who releases 1 phone per year and builds the hype for 12 months. Samsung releases a few dozen phones a year, and can never build that anticipation for any 1 specific device they release.

Further, until recently, Samsung really didn't focus on the US consumer. What I mean by that is the US got the junk products from Samsung while the high tier devices were released overseas. Only recently did Samsung start releasing phones globally that everyone could get. They still have a fragmentation issue within their own device models though- for instance different processors in their overseas vs US phones.

Most importantly, Samsung has only had a "me too" attitude. The iphone changed smartphones in 2007 and innovated every year with something new to the market. Sometimes its only 1 feature, but Apple always has that one thing yearly that starts the trend and Samsung just jumps on the bandwagon or copy Apple. For instance, Apple releases the 64 bit A7 processor, a first in mobile, and days later Samsung says "we will too." The monkey see monkey do won't cut it to get the loyalty Apple customers have; besides other reasons.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Here's the problem, you have Apple who releases 1 phone per year and builds the hype for 12 months. Samsung releases a few dozen phones a year, and can never build that anticipation for any 1 specific device they release.

Further, until recently, Samsung really didn't focus on the US consumer. What I mean by that is the US got the junk products from Samsung while the high tier devices were released overseas. Only recently did Samsung start releasing phones globally that everyone could get. They still have a fragmentation issue within their own device models though- for instance different processors in their overseas vs US phones.

Most importantly, Samsung has only had a "me too" attitude. The iphone changed smartphones in 2007 and innovated every year with something new to the market. Sometimes its only 1 feature, but Apple always has that one thing yearly that starts the trend and Samsung just jumps on the bandwagon or copy Apple. For instance, Apple releases the 64 bit A7 processor, a first in mobile, and days later Samsung says "we will too." The monkey see monkey do won't cut it to get the loyalty Apple customers have; besides other reasons.
    Well said

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung, as long you keep riding off of the coat tails of Andoird, you will never be the next Apple. Hardware and software optimization equals the best experience.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never heard of people lining up for Samsung's phones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I think lining up for an iPhone is something that people will always do, most actually enjoy it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    yeah.. I see that often. At the repair counter.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalpesh78 For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (09-21-2013), Mohit555 (09-21-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung commercials with the lines are stupid. They look like a desperate company when they do them. No one wants to wait in their lines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    yeah.. I see that often. At the repair counter.
    Yes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    That must be why the Galaxy S4 outsold the iPhone 5.

Samsung Galaxy S4 sales beat Apple iPhone 5 in US: Report - Times Of India
    Last edited by NegativeBeef; 09-21-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,236 Times in 2,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post

Lol. I like how you pull a statistic for one month. And that month was may -April. Way after the iPhone 5 release. Lol.

The point is this. Apple builds awesome products. Hardware and software. Their design. A lot of love goes into their product. And it shows. I still see people using iPhone 4 How many folks you see with a Samsung s3 The old one? Yea. So. People will line up to get it. And will keep it for 2-4 years. It is what it is. Quality quality quality

That being said I am
    Not knocking the s4 or the Htc one. They are both great and well built devices That's hardware I have never been on droid so I can not comment or speculate about those systems. Lol
    Last edited by hemptation; 09-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The way Apple advertises could make someone buy a rotten banana from them.. Haha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sends Spies to Uncover Apple's iPhone Launch Line, But u can never do that Shame-dung...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

In the beginning Apple build and offered something unique, the iPhone. The demand was high and competitors started to copy the product to get their share of the profit.
    However Apple build a product that had a soul, thanks to Steve Job, the design, the hardware and the software fitted perfectly together, it all build a unit. The soul of the iPhone is this unit, thought throughout and every step made with love. Whereas to competition simply created a consumable product, they used economical reasons to build their product, it was just a lifeless smartphone.
    True, Android smartphones are leaving iPhones behind in hardware specs, but yet they never will become icons, they have no soul. A lot of people said that the soul of the iPhone died with Steve Job, this will remain to be seen in future iPhone releases if Apple can keep making thoroughly thought out harmonious units of design, hardware, material and software that is full of passion and love or if the post-Job-Apple will follow the same economical rules and creates lifeless smartphones.

In the end it all comes down to the only reason: money!
    As long as money is the major factor in building something it will be lifeless, but if your priorities are functionality, feel, looks and usability and money has no say in designing and creating a product you are on a very good path to create something people are willing to cue for hours or days to get their hand onto.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 09-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

hemptation (09-22-2013), King_O_Hill (09-21-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your logic fails for 2 or more reasons.

First, its painfully obvious that this was over the span of only 1 month, when the S4 was brand new and iphone nearing the end of its yearly cycle where hoards weren't buying an iphone 5 with the 5s release looming.

Second, your cite says nothing other than S4 was top seller at VZW, Sprint and Tmo; but not ATT. So if ATT sold 100,000 more iphones that month, and those 3 carriers sold 30,000 more S4's each; who still sold more? The article DOES NOT say that there were more S$'s sold overall or any data, so it's meaningless (beyond the fact is meaningless just looking at 30 days and at the end of the iphone life cycle).

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe you better have a look at this... Apple iPhone 5 Overtakes Samsung Galaxy S3 to Become World's Best-Selling Smartphone Model in Q4 2012