+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analysts Can't Decide if New iPhones Will Sizzle or Fizzle This Weekend

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Analysts Can't Decide if New iPhones Will Sizzle or Fizzle This Weekend

Apple will either blow our socks off or devastate our expectations this weekend, as the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C reach the mobile masses. According to most analysts who have weighed in on the matter, there may be no in-between. Apple will either sizzle or fizzle in opening weekend sales.

Shares of AAPL are nearly flat today as investors closely watch for long lines and other details emerging from Apple's retail stores where the in-demand new iPhones have formally launched today. So far, we're only hearing that which was expected - supply is incredibly limited.

As MMi reported Thursday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster believes Apple will likely hit 5 to 6 million combined unit sales this weekend. KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, however, thinks that number could be closer to 8 million. If so, those who held on to their Apple stock may have a very good close to the month of September.

But there's another reality to consider as well. What if Apple bombs this weekend?

"Positive reviews and very good functionality for the two new iPhones and iOS 7 will help in the long-run but if Apple canít make enough to have units in stores or be available on Internet sites to be shipped in the first few days it would not surprise me to see the company announce on Monday sales below last years 5 million plus for the iPhone 5 and come in around 3 to 4 million," says Chuck Jones of Forbes.

Source: Forbes

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm betting sales will be low because they are so backed up that people won't bother to order.

EVO
    Thanks

I bet there's going to be a lot of P'Od people.

I know I am!

I mean, how could they have had such a limited supply of gold knowing they were releasing it to many countries. They could have.....NO, they should have delayed launch until they had enough to supply to the stores.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

FWIW, at the Bellevue, WA store (the largest in the state, that I'm aware of) there were at least 400 people in line. I got there at midnight at was about 50 or so in line. Even still, by the time they got to me, they hardly had any T-Mobile iPhone 5S's. Plenty of AT&T though, I think.

Also, Chris Pirillo was right next to me in line and he interviewed me for his YouTube channel.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post

I know I am!

I mean, how could they have had such a limited supply of gold knowing they were releasing it to many countries. They could have.....NO, they should have delayed launch until they had enough to supply to the stores.
    I'm furious as well. Every store I have checked only had black. Besides AT&T who had 100 people outside. Ridiculous. Half the stores I called didn't even have the phone.
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

Thanks

I hope that sales are not that low being a small share holder.. I too am watching their stocks.. Glad to have read this article

Banned
    Thanks

It doesn't take a genius to realise it will fizzle. Its nothing new so why would it sell good to start with?

Thanks

Agreed^^ Guess they focused a little too much on the 5C. Im good with the C..i want the 5S.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Agreed^^ Guess they focused a little too much on the 5C. Im good with the C..i want the 5S.
    That and sending alot of it to China. I know it's a big deal, but damn??

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I know I'm waiting because of the limited supplies, I wish they had been more prepared for orders...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 2,048 Posts

Will wait for the 6 next yr instead! My slate i5 is perfect...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks

Wow, people are really worked up over the Gold iphone.

Who knew there were so many Persian Nightclub owners around here?

And furious? Seriously, furious? Over a cell phone not being immediately available in exactly the color you want?

This generation is assholes.
    Last edited by ClerkDante; 09-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (09-21-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Just funny how they have so long to produce the phone but only produce a limited amount. Knowing that its going to be a new color or have a new feature. That people are going to want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

And furious? Seriously, furious? Over a cell phone not being immediately available in exactly the color you want?

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. New color released; the company should be well prepared. On the other hand, most people case their phone and is ridiculous they are squabbling over it all. The people behind me in line this morning were there for hours waiting so they could bring the 5S to their daughter in college whose screen was shattered. They told me their daughter said "if it's not the gold one, I don't want one at all"

For those complaining of short supply, you should have planned accordingly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I know I am!

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE5 View Post
    I'm furious as well. Every store I have checked only had black. Besides AT&T who had 100 people outside. Ridiculous. Half the stores I called didn't even have the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

Either way, you would most likely still wait, so why the I3itchin? People nowadays. SMFH.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I know I am!

Either way, you'd have to wait. Why not let other people like me take advantage of other colors in stock, like space gray?
    The gold doesn't look that great anyways, I've always been a fan of the white iPhones, but I've always stuck with the black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    It doesn't take a genius to realise it will fizzle. Its nothing new so why would it sell good to start with?
    People said the same thing about the 5, and it's become apples best selling phone. And a fingerprint scanner is a lot cooler than a bigger screen. ( comparing major changes from the previous phone)
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 09-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I know I am!

So you would rather them delay launch just so you could have your gold one the day it was released, rather than people who want other colors get them early? Sorry man, but that's pretty selfish.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had to try 3 different places to finally get the one I wanted. If I hadnt been so persistent I would have given up and figured they were all sold out...