+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Tears Down iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C to Have a Look at the Inside Components

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iFixit has given Apple’s latest iOS devices the famous “teardown” treatment. The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c internal components have been exposed in these two latest teardowns. Beginning with the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iFixit Tears Down iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C to Have a Look at the Inside Components

iFixit has given Apple’s latest iOS devices the famous “teardown” treatment. The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c internal components have been exposed in these two latest teardowns.

Beginning with the iPhone 5c, the iFixit team notes that the iPhone 5c’s display and battery come apart as easily as they did in the iPhone 5, meaning that there won’t be much difficulty in providing replacements should the need come about. The battery offers an improvement over that of the battery found in the iPhone 5 – the iPhone 5 had a 1440 mAh battery, while the iPhone 5c has a 1510 mAh battery.

In addition, the iFixit team points out that the iPhone 5c carries the same A6 chip found in the iPhone 5, as well as Toshiba flash storage. But iFixit also notes that the connectors in the device are actually secured with adhesive to make them less likely to be tampered with by the end user.

iFixit also took the case of the iPhone 5c to a new extreme of testing... a bend test. The iPhone 5c, being plastic, appears to be able to flex a bit, which should help with the phone's durability in drops:

The iFixit team gave the iPhone 5c a 6 out 10 repairability rating, noting that the amount of adhesive made a lot of the process more of a pain than it needed to be and that the pentalobe screws at the bottom prevent tampering.

As for the iPhone 5s, a little more excitement could be expressed with the new components. As soon as the team began trying to remove the display from the device, they found a new cable that routed from the Touch ID sensor to the case of the phone, which if the repairer was not careful, could be very easy to sever:

The Touch ID sensor itself just looks plain cool too. So here's a picture of that:

While attempting to remove components from the iPhone 5s, the iFixit team notes that the amount of adhesive holding in the iPhone 5s's battery pack is not minimal, and would make for difficult repairs. Unlike the iPhone 5c's 1510 mAh battery, the iPhone 5s houses a 1570 mAh battery; a slight improvement.

iFixit points out the upgraded 64-bit A7 chip, which is a step up from the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5c. Notably, Apple’s new M7 chip, which is intended to handle movement, isn’t visible on the logic board, so it’s possible that it’s built into the A7 chip as a separate entity. Unlike the iPhone 5c, which uses Toshiba flash storage, the iPhone 5s appears to use SK Hynix flash storage:

The iFixit team finds very little difference between the cases of the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5, and has given the iPhone 5s a 6 out of 10 repairability rating being that the high amounts of adhesive make removing the battery tough, the pentalobe screws make accessing the internals difficult without the right tools, and that the new cable connecting the Touch ID sensor to the case could easily be torn if not carefully removed.

Although the repairability ratings seemingly go down more and more each time Apple releases a new iOS device, that doesn't stop the end user from enjoying the product. As long as the device is under warranty, the user can take it to a local Apple store and they will be glad to replace or repair the defective unit.

Sources: iFixit
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-20-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

I'd like to see a performance comparison.

Thanks

Yes, let us know of the true differences software wise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wonder what type of adhesive they use and if you have use a heat source to remove it, kinda like the old BUD decrypter boxes where you had to demiral the hard epoxy out to replace the eeprom, I wouldn't put it past apple to fill the inside up with epoxy and you'd have to buy a new one if it quit...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    According to the keynote that recently happened all I know is that the 5s is 2x faster then the 5. I also know that they have a seperate motion processor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    What do you mean the difference software wise ? Do you really think the iPhone 5C ships with iOS7 and the iPhone 5S ships with iOS8 or something ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilpetabread For This Useful Post:

TechKing101 (09-20-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpetabread View Post
    What do you mean the difference software wise ? Do you really think the iPhone 5C ships with iOS7 and the iPhone 5S ships with iOS8 or something ?
    I sent the rest of the info to him in a message. What I think about the software is that the iPhone 5s may run it faster. Ex. An iPhone 4 on ios7 is laggy. Ios 7 may run faster on new devices. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TechKing101 For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (09-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechKing101 View Post
    According to the keynote that recently happened all I know is that the 5s is 2x faster then the 5. I also know that they have a seperate motion processor.
    They said it's 2x faster at the keynote. What I want to know is how accurate that really is, mainly when tested with real-world tasks showing how fast different apps operate.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 09-20-2013 at 08:36 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"As long as the device is under warranty, the user can take it to a local Apple store and they will be glad to replace or repair the defective unit. "
    What kind of an idiotic statement is that? They aren't willing to replace or repair anything for free because not nearly everything is covered by warranty (especially accidental damage), but you didn't claim that they did it for free so I need to address the cost too. Of course they are "glad to" when you pay for it and essentially buy another at their crazy, inflated, unsubsidized cost. What retailer wouldn't be "glad" to sell more product? It's what they do. The rates are MUCH higher than DIY or independent techs. I know because I've repaired hundreds of iOS devices. Replica parts are cheap and plentiful for most devices.

Apple wants disposable electronics so they can sell you a new one every few years. It's why the iPod has always had a sealed battery and why the iPhone was the first to do the same.

Now, as for the adhesive on the connectors: past iOS devices had brackets and cover plates screwed down behind each one to hold them on in case of a drop. I still need to look at the tear-down and see, but I wonder if they did this to eliminate the slight extra thickness of the bracket/plate? Most techs don't notice or care, but replacement parts often don't have the foam backing on their connectors that the originals have which creates a gap under the bracket and room for a loose connection.
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks

So far I'm loving the battery life of the 5s. 3x's better than my 5.