Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prominent Attorneys General Encourage iOS 7 Upgrade for Better Security

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Prominent Attorneys General Encourage iOS 7 Upgrade for Better Security

Two prominent Attorneys Generals on opposite coasts of the United States have found middle-ground in mobile today.

Specifically, San Francisco District Attorney General George Gascón and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman are praising the security features afforded by iOS 7 and are encouraging everyone to upgrade.

On Thursday, the Attorneys General released a joint statement to assert their argument.

"We are pleased that Apple is set to release a new mobile operating system that includes a theft deterrent feature called Activation Lock," the statement reads. "This is an important first step towards ending the global epidemic of smartphone theft."

“In the months ahead, it is our hope that Activation Lock will prove to be an effective deterrent to theft, and that the widespread use of this new system will end the victimization of iPhone users, as thieves learn that the devices have no value on the secondary market," the statement continues. "We are particularly pleased that – because Activation Lock is a feature associated with Apple's new operating system as opposed to a new device – it will be available to consumers with older phone models who download the free upgrade."

To read the full statement shared on the NY Attorney General's website, click here.

Source: NY AG Office

!!!Warning Conspiracy Theory!!!

does it have some new spyware they want to test

end of

!!!Conspiracy Theory Warning !!!

phones will still get stolen because software can't phisically stop a thief

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (09-19-2013)

I don't believe anything coming from the mouth of an attorney, especially a government one, and even more so, one from San Francisco or New York!

Theft will continue to happen regardless of the new finger print scan. Did find my iPhone put an end to stolen phones? Of course not.

Can't the thief take the iPhone home, put it in recovery mode and restore?

Nope not with activation lock. To restore you have to know the iCloud password.

Not sure why a person could not just put the phone I. dfu and restore tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tankz504 View Post
    So even when its in recovery mode?

Yup. It's a server side type of protection. Good stuff!

if it's server side it should work across all iOS's no need for anybody to upgrade to iOS 7 to take advantage
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    if it's server side it should work across all iOS's no need for anybody to upgrade to iOS 7 to take advantage
    Only if the software supports it. 'Lock & key'. Lock is in the ios, key is on the server. This is where they will play on the fears of jailbreak: 'if a jailbreak even exists, it defeats Activation Lock'.

maybe pwnd dfu would brake this as well then, not just having a jailbreak, either way it's still flawed security
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (09-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

I guess they didnt know about the Lockscreen bypass bug in iOS7...smh

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...il-or-twitter/
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

dsg (09-19-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Already here we go

All for naught unless the iPhone's IMEI is hardened (i.e. can't be changed). Just sayin...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tankz504 View Post

Not sure why a person could not just put the phone I. dfu and restore tho.
    Even with a dfu restore it will require the I cloud password to activate the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I guess they didnt know about the Lockscreen bypass bug in iOS7...smh

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...il-or-twitter/
    He never shows that the phone is asking for a pass code again. If it is not asking for a pass code that's how it functions. If it is asking for a pass code then any action to the home button brings back the lock screen.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 09-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.

http://modmyi.com/content/12247-ios-...ia.htmlhttp://

iOS 7 Lock Screen Vulnerability Provides Access to Photos, Email and Social Media

Lol

iOS 7 Lock Screen Vulnerability Provides Access to Photos, Email and Social Media

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    I don't believe anything coming from the mouth of an attorney, especially a government one, and even more so, one from San Francisco or New York!
    what a stupid thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    what a stupid thing to say.
    Says the ostrich with his head in the sand. Afraid of a dose of reality?