Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Hacker ih8sn0w Recommends You Don't Update to iOS 7 if You Want a Jailbreak Now

Default iOS Hacker ih8sn0w Recommends You Don't Update to iOS 7 if You Want a Jailbreak Now

Late last night, iOS hacker winocm published a video on YouTube demonstrating an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1.4 on an iPhone 5. While preliminary, and buggy at the moment, it does appear to look legitimate from a glance.

Well-known iOS hacker ih8sn0w seems to be adding credibility to the jailbreak on Wednesday, as he has made a blog post detailing to jailbreakers why they shouldn’t upgrade to iOS 7 yet if they want to have a jailbroken device sooner rather than later.

The hacker explains that a jailbreak for iOS 6.1.3 and iOS 6.1.4 untethered is possible in coming days or weeks, and that if users want to have this jailbreak, he recommends downgrading to iOS 6.1.3 or iOS 6.1.4 as soon as possible before Apple closes the window on downgrading for good. He also notes that users already jailbroken on iOS 6.0-iOS 6.1.2 should not worry about upgrading to iOS 6.1.3 or iOS 6.1.4, as their jailbreak is perfectly functional where it sits.

Also important, the hacker explains that users should take the extra steps to save SHSH blobs just in case some kind of miracle discovery happens in the future allowing downgrading on later A5+ devices.

If you plan on upgrading to iOS 7 anyhow, we don’t blame you. iOS 7 has a ton of awesome new features, and the evad3rs hacker team seems confident that they will have a jailbreak for iOS 7 in the future, albeit we can’t say they’ll have it soon or in the near future.

In the end, the call is yours. If you want a jailbreak sooner rather than later, stay on iOS 6. If you don't mind waiting several months for an iOS 7 jailbreak, then maybe you would be better off upgrading.

Sources: ih8sn0w

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

LudaChris (09-18-2013)

I'm OK with my 6.1.2 JB on iphone 5

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

Bulldog5278 (09-18-2013), Jj2345 (09-18-2013), thefinalhack (09-18-2013)

talk about the last second advice warning. ios7 released in a minute supposedly.

holding off upgrading my Iphone 5 and IPAD 2 which are on 6.1.4 and 6.1.3 as want to jailbreak them both.

At this point I don't think people are willing to wait another few weeks for a JB when ios7 is available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Ditto

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 741 Posts

Im upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS7, but doesn't really matter i"ll be buying a iPhone 5S this Friday and already have a offer/sold my 5 anyways.

Thanks
    Likewise...iOS 7 does seem to offer a number of new features, but I simply haven't seen anything that screams, "I'm worth losing your jailbreak!" Patience is indeed a virtue...I'll wait and enjoy having the ability to load all the tweaks and packages Cydia will release in the coming weeks in response to Apples attempt to gain a few steps ahead of the jailbreak community.

Is it possible for me to still upgrade to 6.1.4 even tho 7 has been released ?. I'm convinced that I have a bug that is causing my poor battery life, would like to do a DFU restore back to stock to see if it sorts my battery issue, at least that way I could rejailbreak when winocm releases his untether for 6.1.4 in the near future

I have had iOS 7 since beta 1, and in my opinion (key words there - so relax) stock ios7 is better then jailbroke iOS 6. Most of the tweaks I used have been implemented into ios7. Yes, I lost a few things, but worth it for what I gained.

Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
    Is it possible for me to still upgrade to 6.1.4 even tho 7 has been released ?. I'm convinced that I have a bug that is causing my poor battery life, would like to do a DFU restore back to stock to see if it sorts my battery issue, at least that way I could rejailbreak when winocm releases his untether for 6.1.4 in the near future
    You should be fine.

The window is expected to be open for a little while. No problem in giving it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
    I just did, just power off the phone and while holding down the home button plug into a computer and restore with iTunes.

Id raither keep my jailbreak iphone 5 without the jailbreak it is like a paper weight no matter how much apple hypes up ios7

If I want to upgrade my JB iPhone and iPad from 6.1.2 to 7, should I uninstall my Cydia tweaks first? Once iOS 7 installs, I can't access them so they will just be wasting lots of space "reported as other" in iTunes.

They will continue to sign 6.13/6.14 for a short time. You can restore now but don't leave it too long.
    iH8Sn0w's advice is standard but well worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I just did, just power off the phone and while holding down the home button plug into a computer and restore with iTunes.
    Im on 5.1.1, Im looking at itunes to upgrade to 6.1.3 for my 4s but it says newer version is ios7. Am I too late?
    Last edited by ShioN915; 09-18-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Same with ya bro

Updating my iPad 3 now (It's taking a while). I have decided to wait on the iPhone 5, because I have lots of tweaks that I like including the ios 7 theme. Hubby's iPhone is not jailbroken, maybe I will upgrade his later after I play around with the iPad. I have to admit, I am excited to see what it looks like on my iPad. How long should it take?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't plan having a jailbroken phone since I have the iPhone 4, and I will wait for the next iPhone 6, maybe? On my phone the jailbreak of 6.1.2 was slowing me down and I did not like it at all. Yes I had the option to get all the tweaks and free stuff but, eehhhhhh I don't think that sacrificing the speed for the jailbreak was worth it. I haven't been jailbroken for almost 5 months now and I have to tell you, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

Like they said, its a personal decision, and you have your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ShioN915 View Post
    Im on 5.1.1, Im looking at itunes to upgrade to 6.1.3 for my 4s but it says newer version is ios7. Am I too late?
    Download it from the downloads section and hold the shift key and hit restore and browse to the .ispw file and you should be good. I don't think apple stopped signing 6.1.3/6.1.4 yet

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GrandMstrBud For This Useful Post:

ShioN915 (09-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
    I have had iOS 7 since beta 1, and in my opinion (key words there - so relax) stock ios7 is better then jailbroke iOS 6. Most of the tweaks I used have been implemented into ios7. Yes, I lost a few things, but worth it for what I gained.
    I'll be honest. I installed iOS 7 on my iPad 3, but really haven't had a chance to go through it. As for my iPhone 5, I'll be staying on a jailbroken 6.1 until 7 is jailbroken. There are way too many features/tweaks that I'm not willing to give up:

AltKeyboard
    Auxo
    BiteSMS (quick reply is essential)
    BrowserChanger
    Cyntact
    Dream/Winterboard
    f.lux
    iFile
    Mail Enhancer Pro
    Pandora Downloader (this alone is worth jailbreaking)
    ProTube Extension (extremely essential)
    Springtomize

Like you, this is only my opinion, but I won't upgrade until most of these features are available in iOS 7 in one way or another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast