Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White House Petitions FCC to Make Cell Phone Unlocking Legal

BRAIN BLAST! Neutron Style... The US carriers could unlock subsidized phones and Yes enforce the legal subsidy agreement/contract with collection and negative credit activity if broken. But they could also (ready for this,) block the Phone's IMEI in that new blacklisting system they have in addition to collections activity. Honest customers get a phone that can except lower cost SIM cards while traveling and Dishonest dirt-bags get a credit score ding and a brick for a phone.
    Nice right?!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lohand For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (09-19-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    If At&t owns the phone then why do they not want it back? Why do they not help the peron whe its stolen or broken? Simple you are contracting to pay monthy fees, no where does it say you are paying for the phone on the monthly bill. Once you get the phone its yours and At&t could care less about it. All they care about is you pay your contract for 2 years. You still have to pay At&t if you decide to use 2 soup cans and a string to make calls. Why people make up stuff is beyond me? Its an old argument that carriers owns phones. They do not you do. You sign a contract to pay them every month for 24 months in exchange and they count on you buying more services that cost them next to nothng like data.
    By signing the contract you agree that they will cover a large portion of the cost of the phone. Once you have fulfilled the contract the phone is yours. If you choose to break the contract you have to pay a penalty. They keep you locked to the carrier because they paid for majority of the phone.

At the end of the day, phones are just tools for carriers to sell their airtime - and they can't really be blamed for ensuring that that tool doesn't gift competitors with the opportunity to sell theirs ... just because a percentage of consumers need a loan (the contract credit agreement) to buy a new phone.
    After all, there's nothing to stop a consumer from foregoing a phone upgrade for two years and downgrading to an airtime-only contract to save the funds to buy a SIM-free device and have a free choice of carrier/plan at the end of those two years.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhitaker3 View Post
    Thanks Obama
    +1

People truly don't understand the term "subsidized". It's a shame people don't really understand this issue well. It causes needless angst and anger towards the carriers. The cost of an iPhone is 500+.. If you agree to a contract period they lower your upfront costs. Period end of story.

If you burn an upgrade and sell on eBay (you'd have to unlock it or get the buyer really mad at you - happened to me) then you're still required to pay for the subsidized phone over the full contract period. So just reselling the phone doesn't prove you own it either.

This new legislation attempt is just another Obama-style government intrusion into business. Leave us the hell alone Mr.President.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    I will give this another few months and unlocking will be legal. As for people who think we have rights or apple has rights or AT&T has rights, go to a forum where people care about that. I think apple has some good ones. This forum is for people with open minds. Mod Mi I. And that's what I want to do.
    Well I certainly don't give a crap about you, and what you want. I'm concerned about how they will change their pricing/contracts if this passes, and I hope it gets shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    People truly don't understand the term "subsidized". It's a shame people don't really understand this issue well. It causes needless angst and anger towards the carriers. The cost of an iPhone is 500+.. If you agree to a contract period they lower your upfront costs. Period end of story.

If you burn an upgrade and sell on eBay (you'd have to unlock it or get the buyer really mad at you - happened to me) then you're still required to pay for the subsidized phone over the full contract period. So just reselling the phone doesn't prove you own it either.

This new legislation attempt is just another Obama-style government intrusion into business. Leave us the hell alone Mr.President.
    Well, to be fair, it's an Obama-style government intrusion that came about because of a citizen petition.
    Last edited by LithePanther; 09-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LithePanther View Post
    Well, to be fair, it's an Obama-style government intrusion that came about because of a citizen petition.
    Fair enough. But the "people" have been taught by their leader to expect something for nothing... in this case freedom from the rightful roaming charges the carriers can charge when you're overseas or freedom to do anything you want with a phone you don't fully own until the end of the contract period. More food stamps.. More free insurance... Don't get me started...
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Fair enough. But the "people" have been taught by their leader to expect something for nothing... in this case freedom from the rightful roaming charges the carriers can charge when you're overseas or freedom to do anything you want with a phone you don't fully own until the end of the contract period. More food stamps.. More free insurance... Don't get me started...
    Did we just become best friends?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12