Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should You Upgrade to iOS 7 Tomorrow?

Default Should You Upgrade to iOS 7 Tomorrow?

iOS 7 is going to be released to the public tomorrow, Wednesday, September 18th and the big question is about to surface: “Should I upgrade, or not?”

Like with every new software release, there may be a huge urge to upgrade. We don’t blame you. With the number of new features, as well as the refreshing sight of a different kind of interface style for iOS, iOS 7 is truly a marvel worth considering. Of course, there are also those out there that can't stand iOS 7 altogether... but they'll probably warm up to it with time because change can be difficult sometimes.

So should you upgrade tomorrow? – Maybe… and maybe not.

Remember, iOS 7 is not jailbreakable. If you have a jailbreak and you don’t want to lose your ability to install third-party applications that are more powerful than those that Apple allows into the App Store, then you may want to consider sticking with your iOS 6 firmware with your jailbreak for now. The evad3rs are working hard on trying to jailbreak iOS 7, and from what it looks like, progress is being made. If you're on an iOS 6 firmware that can't be jailbroken right now, then you might still want to hold off because iOS hacker winocm just teased his untethered iOS 6.1.4 jailbreak on an iPhone 5.

On the other hand, if you’re just getting bored of your jailbroken iOS 6 device and you are content with the feature set in iOS 7 and the all-new interface style, then you should feel free to jump right in. iOS 7, like other major releases in the past, borrows a lot of ideas from the jailbreak community. So it's completely understandable that you might be feeling, "Well iOS 7 natively adds all of the features that I used to jailbreak for."

iOS 7 brings forth a lot of new features, like Control Center, which is your easy-to-get-to hub for toggles, shortcuts, and more, iTunes radio, which lets you listen to all kinds of music on the go, improved multitasking, which now shows you previews of the applications right in the switcher, AirDrop, which lets you send files to other AirDrop users in short distances over Bluetooth, improved photography with integrated filters, a smarter Siri, and much more.

As for us... well... we have a lot of devices. We will be keeping some jailbroken on iOS 6, and updating some to iOS 7 just for fun!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,247 Posts

I just downgraded my iPad mini tonight so I don't get stuck on iOS 7. I'm hoping a jailbreak for 6.1.3/4 comes out but I doubt it. I have to say, I really don't like iOS 6 for the iPad anymore. I thoroughy enjoyed iOS 7 and a jailbreak for that can't come soon enough!

No jailbreak since iOS 6.1.3...for iPhone 5....yeah I'm definitely upgrading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdragona View Post
    No jailbreak since iOS 6.1.3...for iPhone 5....yeah I'm definitely upgrading.
    ...since iOS 6.1.2

Check the dude winocm twitter page he's making great improvements toward a 6.1.3-1.4 jailbreak if anyone cares.

Sticking with 6.1.3 myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Check the dude winocm twitter page he's making great improvements toward a 6.1.3-1.4 jailbreak if anyone cares.
    That's what I'm waiting on. More specifically, @7inj3ct3d, but he might be a fake. Time will tell

Sticking with 6.1.3 myself.
    If you're on 6.1.3, why wouldn't you go to iOS 7? It's a lot better than iOS 6

2 reasons. Waiting to see if a jailbreak pops up for it. Also I don't think it will run that smoothly on a 4s.

I'll be upgrading because my work phone is jailbroken. So I'll up my personal line just to try it out. Honestly I was expecting a SMS quick reply to be built into this OS. I really think it could've been that "one more thing" yeah everyone else has it, JB'ers have it, but to be official and have a quick reply would be slick. I still can't understand why on earth they didn't implement that. It makes no sense as to what the big deal is. Add it already!!

Thanks

I['ll Update my iPad Mini to iOS7 But I'm going to keep my iPhone5 jailbreak mode since I'm Still running 6.1.2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm already on it. Had the Betas and installed the GM last week. Have to say, I like it!

Thanks

2 reasons. Waiting to see if a jailbreak pops up for it. Also I don't think it will run that smoothly on a 4s.
    I see. That makes sense

Oh my goodness. I really hate Switcher on iOS 6. It was so nice being able to kill 2-3 apps at a time on iOS 7.
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-17-2013 at 11:21 PM.

been running IOS 7 since beta 1 on my 4S and its smooth as butter!
    Devices
    iPod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen jailbroken 4.2.1
    iPhone 3GS 8gb new boot rom jailbroken 5.1.1
    iPhone 4S 16gb Stock 5.1.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not even interested in IOS 7. Most of the new features are already available on my jailbroken iphone 5 running IOS 6.1.2. I probably won't even jailbreak IOS 7 when it comes out, since I don't like the flat as a pancake crappy icons! AND I would probably have to wait for all the Cydia themes to be updated before I could run them again...

I can't believe the dozen or so stock icons actually keep people from updating.

Thanks

From what I have heard... people with a 4s or iPad 2 are having no issues with iOS 7 running. Haven't upgraded my father-in-laws iPad 2 to have my own experience with it on an older device though.

On another note when is iTunes 11.1 coming out? I thought it would have been out already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I can't believe the dozen or so stock icons actually keep people from updating.
    +1
    Icons don't determine the user experience. Despite what most say, iOS 7 IS a better OS

iOS 7 and the "new" iPhones have killed it for me, the Note 3 cant release soon enough for me to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    From what I have heard... people with a 4s or iPad 2 are having no issues with iOS 7 running. Haven't upgraded my father-in-laws iPad 2 to have my own experience with it on an older device though.

On another note when is iTunes 11.1 coming out? I thought it would have been out already.
    +1

I thought it would have been out by now too. It would be nice to have the ability to sync again.

Millions of people updating to ios7 and 11.1 and the same time.. People may as well free up their entire afternoon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast