+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5S May Be Harder to Find Than Expected

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone 5S May Be Harder to Find Than Expected

Although product shortages and overwhelming demand are nothing out of the sorts for a new iPhone launch, Apple's forthcoming iPhone 5S may be the hardest new iPhone to find in the product line's history.

This time around, product shortages could be more severe than usual. In fact, based on what we're hearing, immensely constrained supplies are the reason that no preorders were accepted for the iPhone 5S here in the U.S.

Even Chinese supplies of the iPhone 5S are said to be going fast.

So what's the culprit? The rumor mill seems to be validated in its suggestion that the supply and production problems are pertinent to Apple’s Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

“Our checks indicate that the fingerprint sensor yields have been terrible and are the likely culprit for the H2 build plan cuts,” Peter Misek recently wrote, according to a previous MMi report.

Cantor analyst Brian White corroborates those claims, as his sources similarly confirm that supply constraints were to blame for no domestic preorders for the flagship device.

So just how difficult will it be to get your hands on a new iPhone 5S this weekend? If analysts are correct, it may be virtually impossible for Apple to promptly get the new iPhone 5S into every outstretched hand.

Source: Time

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So does that mean it might be a wise move to order at 12:01 rather than go to a store?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

F***! I was planning on getting one after work Friday but I guess that's not happening.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't mind waiting. iOS 7 is where 90% of my excitement is right now and it's only 16+ hours away!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why all these analogies why the iPhone 5s is scarce?
    Apple is simply making it hard to obtain so they'd have an opportunity to sell off at least a reasonable quantity of the crappy iPhone 5c.
    Do you think that iPhone 5c would be sold as much if Apple had made it possible to pre-order iPhone 5s parallel to 5c? I don't think so!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underwriter For This Useful Post:

hogcia (09-17-2013), Jj2345 (09-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 773 Posts

I've called around and got this response:

RadioShack WON'T have the 5S this Friday

Walmart 'might' have the 5S and start selling at 9a

AT&T will open and sell at 8a

I haven't checked Best Buy or Target, yet

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by underwriter View Post
    Apple is simply making it hard to obtain so they'd have an opportunity to sell off at least a reasonable quantity of the crappy iPhone 5c.
    Do you think that iPhone 5c would be sold as much if Apple had made it possible to pre-order iPhone 5s parallel to 5c? I don't think so!
    Good point. Just another marketing tactic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mlee19841 For This Useful Post:

rickuk (09-17-2013)

Thanks

Geez i wunder why.. it couldnt be because "China", (the whole reason the 5C was made), was the only place where "5S" pre-orders were given.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LudaChris View Post
    Geez i wunder why.. it couldnt be because "China", (the whole reason the 5C was made), was the only place where "5S" pre-orders were given.
    Ha. Here's a good 5 thousand to distribute thru out the states.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, but I think that's a bit of rubbish. If I got to the Apple store and they didn't have my mobile, I wouldn't take a step down for the C. The C is their entry level phone, it's not meant supplant their flagship device. I would wait until they had what I wanted and buy it then.

I've never before chosen to go to an Apple store to buy one. This year I'm opting to because the Apple store nearest me is offering the trade in program for your current phone. Trade in my iPhone 5 and get a 5s for (at best) just a bit above the cost of whatever they decide my device is worth. Rumors or not, after class on Saturday morning, I'll be in line to see about getting my hands on one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThuD Muffin View Post
    I don't mind waiting. iOS 7 is where 90% of my excitement is right now and it's only 16+ hours away!
    Man I'm with you there!
    Can't wait to update!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Apple the only company that always has production problems with their phones? I don't hear these issues with others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Is Apple the only company that always has production problems with their phones? I don't hear these issues with others.
    Supply and demand for a top notch product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Apple has the highest release day sales rate. The "hottest" phone out this year so far was the Galaxy S4 and no one was lined up to get it. Therefore there was no reason to be concerned rather there was production issues or not.

They will catch up with demand in coming months but I'm betting if your not in line early Friday morning or clicking the refresh button on Apples website at the stroke of release (which historically crashes every year) Then you'll probably be on the hunt for a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceestes View Post
    Apple has the highest release day sales rate. The "hottest" phone out this year so far was the Galaxy S4 and no one was lined up to get it. Therefore there was no reason to be concerned rather there was production issues or not.

They will catch up with demand in coming months but I'm betting if your not in line early Friday morning or clicking the refresh button on Apples website at the stroke of release (which historically crashes every year) Then you'll probably be on the hunt for a while.
    Sure will be a hunt. I know stores like best buy were packed when the 5 came out. Wonder how the apple store is gonna be this year.

Thanks

+1

Thanks

Okay, here's what I've got:

RadioShack - No ip5S this Friday

Walmart - 'Might' have ip5S - Selling at 9a

Target - Start selling around 10-11a

Best Buy - Start selling at 8a

AT&T (and I assume all other carriers) - Start selling at 8a

Apple Store - Start selling at 8a

*Dont trust my research, do your own diligence to verify your local stores

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

Sams club has the 5s @ 7am for business members but only 16GB models. I'm planning on picking up 2 to throw on Craigslist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    Sams club has the 5s @ 7am for business members but only 16GB models. I'm planning on picking up 2 to throw on Craigslist.
    Interesting. I'm getting the 64GB so I guess that doesn't help me even though I have a Sams about 5 minutes from my house

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Riiiight. Tell everyone there's a supply shortage to get them to wait in insanely long lines at stores and generate crazy hype to boost sales. Meanwhile I will walk into an Apple store midway through release day and walk out 10 minutes later with one because they will have way more on hand than they are letting on.

Have fun waiting in your lines.