+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some App Store Users Now Have Access to Older Versions of App Store Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For users of older iOS devices that don’t support the latest firmware from Apple, the App Store will now allow you to install the latest-compatible versions of applications where the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Some App Store Users Now Have Access to Older Versions of App Store Apps

For users of older iOS devices that don’t support the latest firmware from Apple, the App Store will now allow you to install the latest-compatible versions of applications where the latest versions of the applications require a firmware too new for your iOS device to run.

For example, if a developer chose to only support iOS 7.0 and later in the latest version of one of their applications, and you were stuck with a device such as the iPod touch 4G, where iOS 6.1.3 is the latest firmware you can run, the App Store would allow you to download the latest-compatible version of that application that was out before the iOS 7-only version of the application was released, so you could run it.

Should you fall into this inconvenient situation, you would get an alert like the one above that lets you know that you have the option to download an earlier version of the application that supports your current firmware. You will be able to cancel downloading the application, or choose to download the earlier version of the application that supports for your earlier firmware.

There are some downsides to downloading earlier versions of applications in the App Store. For example, developers may no longer support these versions of applications, so if you experience bugs, you’re kind of stuck with them. In addition, you won’t get all of the features that may be available in the latest version of the application.

On the other hand, the new App Store feature does allow legacy devices to at least have multiple options instead of not being able to install applications made for newer iOS firmware versions altogether.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-17-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: 6.1.3 is the latest firmware for the iPod touch 4G

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (09-17-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool.

Thanks

I wish I could somehow use this to install the previous version of Chrome before they changed it to that hideous white icon.

Thanks

Obviously this should have been done the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    the iPod touch 4G, where iOS 6.1.4 is the latest firmware you can run
    6.1.3 is the latest as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 09-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    I wish I could somehow use this to install the previous version of Chrome before they changed it to that hideous white icon.
    I like the white icon... looks good next to Gmail and GV Mobile+ 3 in my dock.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I like the white icon... looks good next to Gmail and GV Mobile+ 3 in my dock.
    Meh, I guess it just looks a lot worse b/c my background and everything else is black, consensus in the reviews seems to like the old icon better last I checked. Oh well, can't please everyone. If I could find the location of Chrome using WinSCP I'd just change it back myself but I couldn't ever find it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Predict there will be a way for someone to via Cydia to download the old version for any IOS version. As comparison you can find OLDVERSION.COM for windows software.

Thanks

6.1.4 is only for iPhone 5 at this time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,297 Times in 1,878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Meh, I guess it just looks a lot worse b/c my background and everything else is black, consensus in the reviews seems to like the old icon better last I checked. Oh well, can't please everyone. If I could find the location of Chrome using WinSCP I'd just change it back myself but I couldn't ever find it.
    Install iFile if u need to. That is hands down the most worthy JB Tweak there is.

Anywho the location for the App is /var/mobile/Applications/Chrome

File is [email protected] 114x114px

Bundle ID: com.google.chrome.ios (for WinterBoard use)

If you have "Application Names" on in the Preferences of iFile it'll show "Chrome" instead of the long Hex Code you would normally see with a typical SSH Client...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Browning151 (09-18-2013)

Thanks

Sweet! I can finally load netflix back onto my old ipod touch on 4.2.1 ! I've been wanting to use this instead of my iPhone on cardio machines for a while since I have to take my phone out of it's case every time to hook it up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Tomorrow is the big day guys!!!

Thanks

What about my first gen iPod Touch running iOS 3.1.3?

Banned
    Thanks

About time. I've had to jailbreak my device then use a jailbreak app to install older versions.
    There are still a few apps where the older version is better than the new version so there is still a need to jailbreak to use those versions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Install iFile if u need to. That is hands down the most worthy JB Tweak there is.

Anywho the location for the App is /var/mobile/Applications/Chrome

File is [email protected] 114x114px

Bundle ID: com.google.chrome.ios (for WinterBoard use)

If you have "Application Names" on in the Preferences of iFile it'll show "Chrome" instead of the long Hex Code you would normally see with a typical SSH Client...
    Finally found it. For some reason it's named stable.app instead of Chrome.app on my phone, and I had to change the Icon.png, [email protected], Icon-72.png and [email protected] for it to change. At least I have my black icon back now. Thanks.