Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Developers Alerted That They May Now Submit 64-bit Applications to the App Store

Default Developers Alerted That They May Now Submit 64-bit Applications to the App Store

On Monday, Apple notified developers that they could begin submitting applications to the App Store that will offer support for the 64-bit A7 chip, which will be included inside of every iPhone 5s.

The notice is shown below:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    You can submit 64-bit apps for iOS 7 today that take advantage of the power of iPhone 5s. Xcode can build your app with both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries included so it works across all devices running iOS 7. If you wish to continue to support iOS 6 then you will need to build for 32-bit only. Next month we will be making changes that will allow you create a single app binary that supports 32-bit on iOS 6, as well as 32-bit and 64-bit on iOS 7.
    Notably, Apple appears to have removed the notice a while after putting it up, as MacRumors reports. It may have been an early notice. We assume that it would still be okay for developers to begin submitting 64-bit applications when they're ready.

All applications built for iOS 6 will have to be 32-bit, as the iPhone 5s is not capable of running iOS 6. Developers that are making applications for iOS 7 will have the choice of creating 32-bit or 64-bit versions of their applications. It is also possible for developers to offer a 32-bit version of an application for iOS 6 and a 64-bit version of an application for iOS 7. Xcode will make it simple for developers to compile 32-bit and/or 64-bit versions of their applications as necessary.

The iPhone 5s isn't the only device that's expected to have a 64-bit chip. The next generation iPad is predicted to offer a 64-bit A7X chip that will also be capable of running these specially-built applications.

Sources: MacRumors

And is this supposed to be an amazing thing for us end-users? What is the benefit of having apps in 64bit? (Not being ironic, but I really don't understand the difference...)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blueaviator For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (09-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    And is this supposed to be an amazing thing for us end-users? What is the benefit of having apps in 64bit? (Not being ironic, but I really don't understand the difference...)
    Yeah id like to know as well

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    Thinking about the future, I'm sure phones won't be bottlenecked at 1GB of RAM forever.