Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Offers Additional Insight Regarding Touch ID Functionality

Thanks

Default Apple Offers Additional Insight Regarding Touch ID Functionality

An Apple spokesperson recently told The Wall Street Journal that the iPhone will only store data used to recognize fingerprints rather than actual images amidst fear about the security of Appleís new Touch ID fingerprint sensor. According to the spokesperson:

Apple's new iPhone 5S, which comes with a fingerprint scanner, won't store actual images of users' fingerprints on the device, a company spokesman confirmed Wednesday, a decision that could ease concerns from privacy hawks.

Rather, Apple's new Touch ID system only stores "fingerprint data," which remains encrypted within the iPhone's processor, a company representative said Wednesday.

In practice, this means that even if someone cracked an iPhone's encrypted chip, they likely wouldn't be able to reverse engineer someoneís fingerprint.
    For those of you who donít already know, Touch ID was a new security feature announced at the recent iPhone media event. The feature is built into the home button of the next-gen iPhone 5S and is designed to allow users to unlock their phones and authorize iTunes purchases with a finger scan. The sensor captures a high-resolution image of a fingerprint analyzing it to provide accurate readings.

Apple was quick to specify that all fingerprint information is encrypted and stored ďin the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip on the iPhone 5SĒ rather than being stored on Apple servers or backed up to iCloud. Developers are also not given access to user fingerprints as a means of authentication as another measure of security.

The Cupertino California company also gave The Wall Street Journal a few other bits of information on the fingerprint sensor, noting that it does occasionally malfunction with moist fingers or fingers scarred by accidents and surgery. The company also explained that the Touch ID must be supplemented with a passcode. Apple mentioned the following regarding the matter:

Apple customers who wish the use Touch ID also have to create a passcode as a backup. Only that passcode (not a finger) can unlock the phone if the phone is rebooted or hasnít been unlocked for 48 hours. This feature is meant to block hackers from stalling for time as they try to find a way to circumvent the fingerprint scanner.
    The iPhone 5S with the new Touch ID functionality is set to be released to consumers on September 20. Those of you interested in purchasing the next-gen iPhone will have to remember that Apple isnít accepting pre-orders for the device so youíll have to go pick it up in the store the day of its release.

What are your thoughts of the Touch ID functionality?

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Can't wait to try it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Can't wait to try it!
    Agree this is gonna be great!

Thanks

I wonder if it's an option you can disable if u want to...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yes I'm sure they will be

What sucks is this new tech will be useless for people who have protective cases like the Life-Proof or Otterbox.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll wait till next year, have fun😏

Quote Originally Posted by justinpotter81 View Post
    What sucks is this new tech will be useless for people who have protective cases like the Life-Proof or Otterbox.
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    I wonder if it's an option you can disable if u want to...
    There probably won't be an option, but there are still alternatives to unlocking and securing your device. Alternatives, that coexist with Touch ID. I do thinks hat there will be some awesome tweaks for the iOS 7 platform that include integration into the functionality of Touch ID. I'm anxious to find out what comes of this.

Quote Originally Posted by justinpotter81 View Post
    You have to understand that Otter Box and other case manufacturers will design around this new feature. Since the button is made of sapphire, a hard material second to diamonds, scratches and cracks are extremely unlikely. So you'll see new cases that work with this technology, not cover it up.
    Last edited by Hillefied; 09-12-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Why are ppl making a big deal
    about this I mean I could see why but it's just like the pass code unlock we all currently have on are iPhones Its an option we have to lock are iPhones so its totally up to the person if they want to use the finger print feature or not no one is forcing you to use it if you do decide to get the iPhone 5s its just an option and am sure they'll still keep the 4digit Pass code or the password for those who want to keep using those methods of lock/unlock.

Thanks

I want to test this out!!

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Why are ppl making a big deal
    about this I mean I could see why but it's just like the pass code unlock we all currently have on are iPhones Its an option we have to lock are iPhones so its totally up to the person if they want to use the finger print feature or not no one is forcing you to use it if you do decide to get the iPhone 5s its just an option and am sure they'll still keep the 4digit Pass code or the password for those who want to keep using those methods of lock/unlock.
    The reason it's huge to a lot of us is that our jobs require pass code unlock to have our work Exchange mail on our phones. They set it to REQUIRE you to turn on pass code lock which I HATE!!! Every time you open your phone, 4 numbers to punch in. I'm SO glad for this!!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's cool is how this will be implemented in the future, by Apple or by the jailbreaking community. To unlock pictures, different apps, and so on. We have some genius minds at work here who will take this new tech to the next level. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Otterbox already has started making their cases compatible. Lifeproof will take forever as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    You have to understand that Otter Box and other case manufacturers will design around this new feature. Since the button is made of sapphire, a hard material second to diamonds, scratches and cracks are extremely unlikely. So you'll see new cases that work with this technology, not cover it up.
    Are you kidding me?? You obviously have no background on material properties. The HARDER a material is, the more BRITTLE that same material is. Brittle = cracks!!

And second, Lifeproof cases are so popular because they are waterproof......so how exactly do you make a case waterproof without covering up the home button??

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The reason it's huge to a lot of us is that our jobs require pass code unlock to have our work Exchange mail on our phones. They set it to REQUIRE you to turn on pass code lock which I HATE!!! Every time you open your phone, 4 numbers to punch in. I'm SO glad for this!!
    My school does that too. I never usually use a passcode but I hate having to input a passcode whenever I need to unlock my iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy17 View Post
    Are you kidding me?? You obviously have no background on material properties. The HARDER a material is, the more BRITTLE that same material is. Brittle = cracks!!

And second, Lifeproof cases are so popular because they are waterproof......so how exactly do you make a case waterproof without covering up the home button??
    That would depend on if the new Touch ID can read through plastic/other clear materials, we don't know yet, I'll bet one thing, it's possible.
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

I would like to see this used as a way to customize the phone for different users. So, you could authorize your kid to use your phone, and when he/ she unlocks it they'll only have access to children's apps and games, emergency phone numbers only, and even a different wallpaper/ theme. Then, locking and unlocking it with an authorized 'adult' finger would bring all functionality back.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually... OtterBox have already announced they have a few cases 5s ready -_- Stop replying on MMI to bring you news! They are normally days behind!

So a passcode is required and will be the method to get in if you don't unlock your phone for a while or reboot. Sounds a lot to me like they don't trust their "revolutionary" security device as much as a plain old passcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy17 View Post

Unless you take a punch and tap it with a hammer right on top of the button, I doubt it would crack. You want a hard material to resist scratches.

If you want a waterproof case just disable the fingerprint scanner. I'm sure it will be optional as with the unlock password. Or just get your phone coated by Liquipel to make it waterproof and use a regular case to protect from drops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast