+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iPhone 5S won’t have a Pre-Order Period, A Move Hinting at Supply Constraints

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iPhone 5S won’t have a Pre-Order Period, A Move Hinting at Supply Constraints

As many of you have probably read about, the iPhone 5S will be launching the same date as the iPhone 5C but unlike the plastic-shelled handset, the iPhone 5S won’t be available for pre-order. This move leads some to believe that supplies of the high-end device may currently be constrained.

The recent unveiling of the lower-cost iPhone 5C and the next-gen iPhone 5S set a September 20 release date for both devices. The iPhone 5C is set to go up for pre-order on September 13, which is a week before launch, but there is no similar option for the high-end model, meaning that customers who want to get an iPhone 5S on release day will have to visit an Apple Store or carrier shop in person. No details as to why the system wouldn’t be used this year were given by Apple.

Given the Cupertino California company’s secretive nature, it’s difficult to say why Apple won’t hold pre-orders for its high-end device. In the lead-up to the recent event, there were indications that something could be holding back the manufacturing process of the 5S. The 5S features the same high-quality build of its predecessor, with beefed up internals as well, including a 64-bit A7 chip that is said to be twice as fast as the A6 featured in the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C. It also features a new M7 motion co-processor that constantly measures motion data. Furthermore, Apple overhauled the camera on the device to give it an f/2.2 aperture and a dual LED flash unit for better low-light pictures. Despite these improvements, one component is said to have had a gross impact on 5S yields: the Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

This component pushes security on iPhone devices to a level higher than any of its competitors have achieved. According to an earlier report though, Apple has been having trouble attaining high yield rates for the technology. Later reports attributed production setbacks to other components including LCD units, but the fingerprint sensor was still named by others as a source of difficulty.

Many analysts including Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believe that 5S production will pick up dramatically in the next quarter. We’ll have to see how much of this turns out to be true by just waiting patiently.

In the meantime, are any of you going to be waiting to pick up an iPhone 5S on September 20?

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I'll prob get one but def won't wait in line for it. Have to wait a couple month for things to die down...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,323 Times in 1,888 Posts

Have the 5 will skip the 5S at this stage. Think the black/slate 5 was a move in the right direction.not sure on them scrapping it altogether for 5C. Will wait to see what the 6 offers. Not 100% convinced apple have it right moving forward.

#Concerned
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (09-11-2013)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

I'm gonna order online not gonna wait at the one store we have over here. That will be crazy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely getting one but not standing in massive lines, contract ends February so might just wait it out, to me this is best overall release since iPhone 4, like where they went this year =)

Thanks

Ha! Yes they may run a bit short but they will just make more. I've never had an issue buying a new iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Question I have is, will you be able to purchase online 19Sep at 11:59p and have one saved at AT&T store.. or do you have to wait for one to actually ship to store?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I read this as Apple trying to create a buzz via the media for the iPhone 5S - look at the queues for our new phone, instead of everyone sitting at home waiting for delivery like last year

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will be getting one for my wife. An upgrade to her 4. I'll stick with my 5 until my upgrade comes around.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time commenting.

I'm from Australia & I have read on the Australian Apple website that pre-orders are beginning from September 13 for the iPhone 5C & September 20 for the iPhone 5S? Official Apple Store Australia -iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad, MacBook Pro, and more

I wonder why they're not doing pre-orders in other countries?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, I miss read it. I thought the iPhone 5S said pre-order was for September 20. I'm tired lol. =/

My first comment didn't even post? Strange!

Anyways - long time reader, first time commenting! Hi guys

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Luckily I have 3 best buys an apple store, and 3 walmarts all within a 15 minute drive, I'm hoping that cuz I'm buying the 64GB it won't sell out as fast and I'll be able to get one on the 20th

Quote Originally Posted by dnf_ View Post
    Sorry, I miss read it. I thought the iPhone 5S said pre-order was for September 20. I'm tired lol. =/

My first comment didn't even post? Strange!

Anyways - long time reader, first time commenting! Hi guys
    Always nice to have new people on the site, even though you're not like new... Haha anyways, welcome!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dometic View Post
    Will be getting one for my wife. An upgrade to her 4. I'll stick with my 5 until my upgrade comes around.
    Haha screw that, I'd cross upgrade if I were you :P

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Great! Now I have to quit my job and get my tent out!!! NOT!
    Sorry Apple, I have to work for a living so I cannot camp out at your front door for 10 days. No pre-order sucks! You know it's because they didn't make enough for the launch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Host_Killer's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had iPhone and upgraded every time, but no more. Apple is well behind google when it comes to innovation. I will be waiting for google explorer and watch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Luckily I have 3 best buys an apple store, and 3 walmarts all within a 15 minute drive, I'm hoping that cuz I'm buying the 64GB it won't sell out as fast and I'll be able to get one on the 20th

Always nice to have new people on the site, even though you're not like new... Haha anyways, welcome!
    Yeah here in NYC there are so many retailers, what usually happens is the 16 and 64 gig models tend to go first (go figure).

I have a feeling the champagne and the black / grey will probably be in the most demand.

As far as not being able to pre-order I think it's realistic to think AAPL will have initial supply constrains however personally I also believe it's a publicity maneuver to create even more buzz.

-P

Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 781 Posts

There's several places to get an iPhone so it shouldn't be a huge problem

Apple Store
    Best Buy
    Target
    Walmart
    RadioShack
    AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mo Stores

Take your pick! If you go to Apple, though, you're 'asking' for a long wait, so that's on you...

What's up, dnf_! Glad to have you!
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-11-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,554 Times in 4,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    There's several places to get an iPhone so it shouldn't be a huge problem

Apple Store
    Best Buy
    Target
    Walmart
    RadioShack
    AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mo Stores

Take your pick! If you go to Apple, though, you're 'asking' for a long wait, so that's on you...
    The non-Apple, non carrier stores - often have very small supplies. They almost always run out on opening day.. There was one Target I heard on opening day that had 'none' for iP5 last year.. But you're right -- Apple Stores are MOST crowded.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it has to deal with if they have enough. It's probably a marketing tactic. Just supply and demand if the demand is high on launch they will slowly and slowly release more. Keep the demand up and the money coming in.

Who here is keeping their 4,4s or 5?
    Last edited by mlee19841; 09-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    I don't think it has to deal with if they have enough. It's probably a marketing tactic. Just supply and demand if the demand is high on launch they will slowly and slowly release more. Keep the demand up and the money coming in.

Who here is keeping their 4,4s or 5?
    I'll be keeping my jb iphone5 but getting 5s 64gb 😜