+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple's Competitors Work Hard to Take Jabs at Recently Announced iPhone Offerings

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR Internal upgrades are good but it's the screen and the outer pieces many are wanting to see changed. I am lucky to have 2 available upgrades
...
  1. #41
    iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    Internal upgrades are good but it's the screen and the outer pieces many are wanting to see changed. I am lucky to have 2 available upgrades but neither will be for the newest apple offerings. Maybe next year?
    Apple changed about all of the pieces to their new iPhone. They even added a new color option.

    I think people fail to realize sometimes that apple only makes 1 new phone (now two). They're not going to change the whole design each year when they have a new model. It wouldn't make sense. Even the Galaxy series does this. Look at a Galaxy S3 compared to an S4, you can barelyntell a difference. You have to stick tomwhat people are familiar with. The main thing is the software and hardware together. The new ios 7 while "locked down" as some would say, is an awesome new and fresh experience for the user. When they get a new iPhoneC or S in their hands the hardware will seem familiar and comfortable, while the software will be similar to the old one, it's a newer look and one they will love.

  2. #42
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts

    I'd like to know why at today's exchange rate the iPhone 5C is $549 US which converts to $590 AU..yet it's selling for $739

  3. #43
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thecrunked View Post
    I'm not being a blind android fan, I still have an ipad 2 and im typing on a retina macbook pro...

    While you can accomplish many of the same things on either device, android has a lot more quantifiable benefits than ios. Things like using micro sd cards, an open os so you can make modifications on the fly and not rely on a jailbreak, the ability to change basically anything on a whim (like keyboard, themes, autocorrect types or even your personal dictionary). iOS has its perks too, but from someone who uses both daily, its easy to tell why android is a better OS, at least from a power user standpoint.
    So which phone do you have that you don't have to root to modify the OS?

  4. #44
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    530
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Other than may get a phone that was built poorly (yeah right). What are you guys doing to these home buttons? I've never had a problem ever.
    Yeah, I've had every iPhone since the 3G and never had the home button break. All you gotta do is lightly push it until it 'clicks'.. no need to mash it.

    As for the iPhone 5S, I think the fingerprint scanner is a nice feature because I rarely use a pass lock, but I would use TouchID. The new M7 chip that keeps track of motion sounds good too because I've been trying to exercise more lately and the new app features this will allow should be cool.

  5. #45
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts

    Everyone who is complaining about the new iPhone... what do you want it to have?

    A bigger screen?
    A bigger screen is a personal preference not a "game changing" upgrade. I'll likely get a bigger screen next year as long as it's not clown shoe big like most of the Androids I see anymore. It's a phone not a pocket big screen.

    NFC?
    As very few stores have this tech for payments and "bumping" pictures back and forth makes very little sense when compared to Airdrop this is a dead in the water. Airdrop will likely be a payment system later as well making NFC a neat idea but poorly executed with very little real world value.

    It's not open sourced?
    Jailbreaking is not hard thanks to the awesome teams we have to help us out. After that we pretty much get access to do whatever we want if we choose to do so. Everyone talks as though the average buyer needs to have these features that we get after jailbreaking. The fact is they don't need them and don't care to have them.

    What has Apple brought to the table?
    The new 64-bit architecture may not hold a lot of weight now but is likely more of a test run for future growth. Most iPhone's gets released with fewer capabilities then they have by the end of their production. When Apple build their phone their hardware has always been more capable then the current software leaving room to grow.

    iOS 7 is great. All iPhone's have been easy to use yet highly capable and iOS 7 adds to this is some great ways.

    iPhone 5C isn't meant to be mind blowing. It simply allows them to essentially continue selling an older iPhone each year but make sure the hardware is updated where needed. They dropped the iPhone 5 now and will soon only sell 5C & 5S. This protects their hardware from being outdated compared to software which is a win for the consumer and for Apple.

    Anyone who bought the iPhone 4 last week has a new phone that is actually quite old. Although they aren't likely the people who care to have the latest tech they will be absent many new features. This new product model will prevent that type of consumer loss. Many of these features also represent additional revenue for Apple so limiting who has access limits profit. Again, this new product model prevents that too.

    If after all this you still think that bigger screen is innovation please go to Android and delete you account here.
    Last edited by REMED1AL; 09-11-2013 at 08:04 AM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REMED1AL For This Useful Post:

    fanboyfanboy (09-11-2013), Itchybums (09-11-2013)

  7. #46
    iPhoneaholic Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    ^^ Well said. Apple has not become wildly successful by pandering to consumers every whim. And they won't! I am sure they will still sell out of every iPhone they have within hours if not minutes of the launch.

  8. #47
    My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosszx10r View Post
    I agree finger print idea great but how many of us have broken the home button? how much will this cost to repair? should have been put under the screen or something.... very poor apple
    home button is covered with sapphire crystal if u can break this your special LOL

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

    Silverado1987 (09-11-2013)

  10. #48
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosszx10r View Post
    I agree finger print idea great but how many of us have broken the home button? how much will this cost to repair? should have been put under the screen or something.... very poor apple
    The home button is still just a mechanical button under there.

  11. #49
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    I need a 4G-LTE smartphone with 5ghz wifi. Need bulletproof software. Apple fits the bill with iPhone 5c or 5s.

    If Samsung does he same sure. But android gets virus issues, per rumor. True or hype?

  12. #50
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by REMED1AL View Post
    Everyone who is complaining about the new iPhone... what do you want it to have?

    A bigger screen?
    A bigger screen is a personal preference not a "game changing" upgrade. I'll likely get a bigger screen next year as long as it's not clown shoe big like most of the Androids I see anymore. It's a phone not a pocket big screen.

    NFC?
    As very few stores have this tech for payments and "bumping" pictures back and forth makes very little sense when compared to Airdrop this is a dead in the water. Airdrop will likely be a payment system later as well making NFC a neat idea but poorly executed with very little real world value.

    It's not open sourced?
    Jailbreaking is not hard thanks to the awesome teams we have to help us out. After that we pretty much get access to do whatever we want if we choose to do so. Everyone talks as though the average buyer needs to have these features that we get after jailbreaking. The fact is they don't need them and don't care to have them.

    What has Apple brought to the table?
    The new 64-bit architecture may not hold a lot of weight now but is likely more of a test run for future growth. Most iPhone's gets released with fewer capabilities then they have by the end of their production. When Apple build their phone their hardware has always been more capable then the current software leaving room to grow.

    iOS 7 is great. All iPhone's have been easy to use yet highly capable and iOS 7 adds to this is some great ways.

    iPhone 5C isn't meant to be mind blowing. It simply allows them to essentially continue selling an older iPhone each year but make sure the hardware is updated where needed. They dropped the iPhone 5 now and will soon only sell 5C & 5S. This protects their hardware from being outdated compared to software which is a win for the consumer and for Apple.

    Anyone who bought the iPhone 4 last week has a new phone that is actually quite old. Although they aren't likely the people who care to have the latest tech they will be absent many new features. This new product model will prevent that type of consumer loss. Many of these features also represent additional revenue for Apple so limiting who has access limits profit. Again, this new product model prevents that too.

    If after all this you still think that bigger screen is innovation please go to Android and delete you account here.
    I would really like the ability to talk and use data at the same time like my wife's old razr phone can do.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuff Said For This Useful Post:

    Silverado1987 (09-11-2013)

  14. #51
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Dear people that say what else could you possibly want your phone to do:

    We want to theme and make it different from every other iphone user even though we have the same phone. Jailbreaking is not a fix as there are months before a jailbreak is released sometimes or never(ATV3). That and it slows down my phone every time.

    We want to be able to add widgets to the lockscreen and home page.

    We want to be able to use 2 apps at once without having to close our current app(mostly for texting purposes)

    We want dictation and siri to actually understand what we're saying. My car and macbook air has no trouble but my ip5 is horrendous at getting words right.

    We want to be able to quick reply.

    We dont want to rely on a jailbreak as I mentioned earlier.

    We want better battery life.(not that easy to do but still)

    We want a button that closes all apps so we dont have to waste time closing every one in multitasking

    idk about most people but I would like an iphone that doesnt scratch so easily so I no longer need to hide it with a case

    these are simple things that would please a lot of people. I havent used ios7 so idk if any of these are fixed but this is what most people would want to have for their iphone.

    64 bit means nothing to me and a million other people. finger print scanner is cool but it has to actually work right. I have no problems with the design because i like it slim and not fat like big droid phones(small hands).
    Last edited by silentassassin12; 09-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.

  15. #52
    What's Jailbreak? laju8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Duquesa, i agree with u 100 and ten percent! Not to offer different screen sizes is unreasonable for apple to do to us. I really believe that they are just simply lazy and dont care to fulfill needs of some of their customers, i love ios devices but im frustrated as hell!

  16. #53
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Nuff Said - use AT&T or wifi for data and voice combined. Been around for five years as solution.

  17. #54
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by laju8 View Post
    Duquesa, i agree with u 100 and ten percent! Not to offer different screen sizes is unreasonable for apple to do to us. I really believe that they are just simply lazy and dont care to fulfill needs of some of their customers, i love ios devices but im frustrated as hell!
    It is not unreasonable... not having all those different screen sizes means it is easier for developers to create apps that work. There are essentially only 6 screen sizes (including retina and non retina) for iOS devices... I can't even begin to count the number of screen size and resolution combos out there for other mobile devices. Apple has made it clear that they are not going to produce 30 different phones all with a different screen size or resolution. It is smart on their part as they save a ton of money in production and development. Developers love it too.

    You have to remember that Apple's philosophy is to provide the SAME great user experience for all.

  18. #55
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    It's absolutely hilarious to read the comments from both the Apple Fan-boys and the Apple Haters. Fan-Boys act like Apple can do no wrong. Which in fact is actually irrelevant in the discussion of a phone. Apple's biggest problems lie in its greatest strengths; A history of Innovation and Incredible Customer Loyalty. How much can today's mobile device be improved? It already has become the go to camera for more than 60% of the people on the planet. Both the iPhone and the G4 are in many instances more convenient than an actual computer and depending on what service you use calls are perfect. But unless Apple makes a paper thin, unbreakable, hack proof, phone that can basically balance your checkbook, do the dishes, and possibly "milk the worm", most Fan-Boys will feel like they've been cheated. On the other side of the aisle you have the Haters that would like for everyone to believe that the G$ is light years ahead of the iPhone when in FACT it absolutely is not. Both phones do just about the same damn thing. Are the processes different? Absolutely. At the end of the day they both make and receive calls.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ahayes For This Useful Post:

    Itchybums (09-11-2013)

  20. #56
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    I would really like the ability to talk and use data at the same time like my wife's old razr phone can do.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious? The iPhone can talk and use data at the same time. I've been doing this ever since the original 3G. That has everything to do with your carrier and nothing to do with Apple. It is the only reason I am still with AT&T.

  21. #57
    My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA + Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 109 Times in 73 Posts

    I've been using iOS 7 since beta 5 and it's like having a brand new iPhone 5. The change is so positive and so profound that the upgrade to 5S will no doubt seem lackluster in comparison, but to be honest just about any hardware upgrade will pale in comparison to a massive OS revision. The feature I'm most excited about, and the one no one seems to be talking about, is the slow-mo camera. I was hoping they would include 120fps 1080p, but I'll settle for 720p. I'm a little concerned that Samsung's new device (note 3) packs 4K 30fps video recording, but if the video recording is anything like the 1080p on their other devices I suppose I'm not missing out on much. This slow-mo feature will be huge!

    Quote Originally Posted by thecrunked View Post
    I'm not being a blind android fan, I still have an ipad 2 and im typing on a retina macbook pro...

    While you can accomplish many of the same things on either device, android has a lot more quantifiable benefits than ios. Things like using micro sd cards, an open os so you can make modifications on the fly and not rely on a jailbreak, the ability to change basically anything on a whim (like keyboard, themes, autocorrect types or even your personal dictionary). iOS has its perks too, but from someone who uses both daily, its easy to tell why android is a better OS, at least from a power user standpoint.
    LMAO. The Power User standpoint? Those features from Samsung you love so much are given at the cost of being unable to uninstall any bloatware (carrier or manufacturer) that slows your device down and kills the battery. There really isn't much you can do without rooting, the jailbreak equivalent. The open source software aspect doesn't mean much as an end user since licensing isn't your concern (but you guys hear open and think happy thoughts, no?). If you want a decent Android experience you either need a nexus or a fully modded ROM giving you a bloat free experience. Yeah, I spent a week on a Galaxy S4... a week trying to delete all the services running in the background giving my friend's new phone a 4 hour battery life. This isn't a PC and specs don't mean much on a device that you just want to work well. My favorite android gripe however, and this is the doozy, is the claim of better specs coupled with how iPhone users only play games. Aside from benchmarks, games are the only means to utilize those better specs, yet optimization always wins out and iOS devices with far lesser specs outperform Android flagships.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 09-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

  22. #58
    Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,920
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    I would really like the ability to talk and use data at the same time like my wife's old razr phone can do.
    Isn't that an AT&T thing and not an iPhone thing?

  23. #59
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    It is not unreasonable... not having all those different screen sizes means it is easier for developers to create apps that work. There are essentially only 6 screen sizes (including retina and non retina) for iOS devices... I can't even begin to count the number of screen size and resolution combos out there for other mobile devices. Apple has made it clear that they are not going to produce 30 different phones all with a different screen size or resolution. It is smart on their part as they save a ton of money in production and development. Developers love it too.

    You have to remember that Apple's philosophy is to provide the SAME great user experience for all.
    Android apps work just fine on screens of 4, 4.7, 5, 5.5 and 6 inch phones those same apps also play just fine on 7, 8 and 10 inch tablets.

    A lot of people are happy with the iPhone size but at lot like me aren't and added together that's a hell of a lot of customers moving from ios to android who may never come back?

    PS, apples share price tumbled again today due mainly to the high price of the 5c
    Last edited by duquesa; 09-11-2013 at 02:51 PM.

  24. #60
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
    Android apps work just fine on screens of 4, 4.7, 5, 5.5 and 6 inch phones those same apps also play just fine on 7, 8 and 10 inch tablets.

    A lot of people are happy with the iPhone size but at lot like me aren't and added together that's a hell of a lot of customers moving from ios to android who may never come back?

    PS, apples share price tumbled again today due mainly to the high price of the 5c
    I'd much rather have nice apps designed for my screen size rather than apps that just scale.

    The 5C can compete with many flagship phones, I didn't expect it to be cheap. Apples white MacBook was $1000 base price and that was the "cheap" one.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts