+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils 64-Bit iPhone 5S

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has just unveiled the iPhone 5S, touting the device as the first smartphone in the world to present a 64-bit desktop-class chip. It's the "most forward-thinking phone we've ever
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Unveils 64-Bit iPhone 5S

Apple has just unveiled the iPhone 5S, touting the device as the first smartphone in the world to present a 64-bit desktop-class chip.

It's the "most forward-thinking phone we've ever created," Phil Schiller announced, although the design looks largely indistinguishable from the iPhone 5.

However, the iPhone 5S is a huge leap forward in mobile computing performance.

"The team has carefully considered every detail. It IS the gold standard," Schiller asserted, confirming that the device contains the the A7 chip, which is a remarkable 64-bit chip. The new processor includes over 1 billion transistors.

Impressively, the CPU performance available with the iPhone 5S is 40 times faster than the original iPhone.

The refreshed camera has a 5-element Apple designed lens with f/2.2 aperture. According to Schiller, iOS 7 is designed to capitalize on the new camera, as it automatically sets white balance, exposure level, etc.

The integrated camera app even serves up "Burst Mode," which can capture up to 10 frames per second. The A7 chip analyzes the burst shots and determines which is best. The upgraded camera includes slow-motion video capture capabilities at 120 frames per second (in 720p high-def.).

Stay with MMi as more details emerge from the iPhone 5S presentation.

Sources: Apple, CNET

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! Revolutionary and magical just can't describe this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

YAWN !! zzzzzzzzzzz! Yawning again !
    who cares about color when most phones are covered??
    love my iphone but this is a boring release.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Wow! Revolutionary and magical just can't describe this!
    You're exactly right. Neither of those words would be used to describe the iPhone 5S

iPhone? More like MyPhone Host_Killer's Avatar
    Thanks

Faster processor - OK but certainly nothing ground breaking or revolutionary.

Google watch and Explorer. Bring'm on!!!

Thanks

I'm good with my jail broken and fully customized i5

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, the specs they gave out are evolutionary, not really spectacular. The only feature I think is great overall is the fingerprint scanner. The processor may be nice, but it sounds like it won't be as stellar unless it is actually used with optimized apps (think Intel x86 vs x64 and earlier PowerPC vs Intel).

Plus, they said it'll support more LTE than any comparable device. What bands are those? (I guess we'll find out soon)
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Me likes, want the power and streamlined security it will have and that's all I really need as everything else on the i5 I love.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh, so a fingerprint scanner and 64-bit processing aren't ground breaking? No other phone has anything like it, and 64-bit architecture is truly special. Saying it's not ground breaking tells me you don't know what that upgrade really means.

Jesus H. ... I'm really not sure what people expect from their phones. THEIR DAMNED PHONES! It is a phone, people ... a phone that does amazing things that just 5 years ago would have seemed magical and awe inspiring. What more does anyone want? Should it wipe your butt for you? Should it be able to tell you someone is going to call you 5 minutes before they call? What exactly is it we need? A built in space telescope maybe? Or should it double as a taser? What does it take to satisfy internet peoples and fulfill their warped senses of entitlement?

"Oh, no! It looks like the last one!"

Well holy crap ... most phones look identical anyway. Some are longer. Some are skinny. Some slide. But overall it's a black (or white) slab with some sort of shiny button or 2 and a screen. Some screens are bigger, some are smaller. But at the end of the day they all look very similar. Maybe they should add some retro, 50's style car fins to it. That would placate the hipsters out there (or a beard comb, maybe. That would surely be a hit with that crowd.) Or, I know, a "snark" button that the internet trolls can hit to make instant, auto-generated sarcastic posts to their favorite sites! I'm sure that one would be a huge hit here ...

My advice ... put your first-world problems in your pocket for a while and loosen up. And then ask yourself what it is you're really missing in this life that you're trying to replace with one techno whiz-bang or another ...

Later.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to asmacumber For This Useful Post:

cypherstream (09-10-2013), EVO (09-10-2013), fordr9 (09-10-2013), iPhoneThereforeIAm (09-11-2013), Sage I (09-10-2013), Scheuerle (09-11-2013), Wantedx9 (09-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Oh, so a fingerprint scanner and 64-bit processing aren't ground breaking? No other phone has anything like it, and 64-bit architecture is truly special. Saying it's not ground breaking tells me you don't know what that upgrade really means.

Jesus H. ... I'm really not sure what people expect from their phones. THEIR DAMNED PHONES! It is a phone, people ... a phone that does amazing things that just 5 years ago would have seemed magical and awe inspiring. What more does anyone want? Should it wipe your butt for you? Should it be able to tell you someone is going to call you 5 minutes before they call? What exactly is it we need? A built in space telescope maybe? Or should it double as a taser? What does it take to satisfy internet peoples and fulfill their warped senses of entitlement?

Well holy crap ... most phones look identical anyway. Some are longer. Some are skinny. Some slide. But overall it's a black (or white) slab with some sort of shiny button or 2 and a screen. Some screens are bigger, some are smaller. But at the end of the day they all look very similar. Maybe they should add some retro, 50's style car fins to it. That would placate the hipsters out there (or a beard comb, maybe. That would surely be a hit with that crowd.) Or, I know, a "snark" button that the internet trolls can hit to make instant, auto-generated sarcastic posts to their favorite sites! I'm sure that one would be a huge hit here ...

My advice ... put your first-world problems in your pocket for a while and loosen up. And then ask yourself what it is you're really missing in this life that you're trying to replace with one techno whiz-bang or another ...

Later.
    Stop making sense... it is a rare thing here you know.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Stop making sense... it is a rare thing here you know.
    haha!

some people do not understand how difficult 64-bit architecture is to achieve on a phone

Thanks

Love the response asmacumber. Not sure what people expect it to do that it doesn't. Maybe some were hoping it would start printing money for them. When you go to buy a new car do you complain they aren't ground breaking enough? Heck it's been five years since my last new one, surely the ones coming out now don't still need gas. Go up to the dealer and ask if they have any twice as fast as last years model.

Thanks

I've had every iPhone since the beginning (2007), but I think it may be time to see if the grass is greener in Android land. Still no NFC, no larger screen, no widgets on screen, etc.. Sure it has a new fingerprint reader and a 64bit processor, but as far as being more usable in daily life, where are those improvements? I'm sure the new galaxy s5 will be 64 bit when it is released first quarter 2014.

Thanks
    I'm getting one!

Thanks

Is there even a 64bit branch of any version of Android?? Is there anyone else even close to making a 64bit SoC??? Does any phone on the market even have a built in finger print scanner??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Is there even a 64bit branch of any version of Android?? Is there anyone else even close to making a 64bit SoC??? Does any phone on the market even have a built in finger print scanner??
    It was announced early this morning that Android is getting 64 bit processors in 2014. As for a fingerprint scanner, I don't think that is anything of major significance, but I'm sure the other side will get it as well.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

64-bit probably more impresses nerds. Regular people are thinking, "big deal, what does 64-bit do for me?"

Sure, we know it can address >4GB of RAM! However, the iPhone 5S only has 1GB of RAM...
    Oh, but 64-bit apps will be a little faster! However, 32-bit apps will be the norm for a long, long time, for backwards compatibility with iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C...

So yeah, I can understand why most people don't find that to be super exciting. It's really for nerds to be able to say, "woo! 64-bits!"

Banned
    Thanks

cant believe they took away the black phone this sucks

iPhone? More like MyPhone MOJO5873's Avatar
    Thanks

Later.
    I agree!

Thanks

Later.
    You got gimmicked. I'm def not complaining about the updates but it honestly is no big deal. I will have the exact same experience I am having on my i5. It would be the same in every way aside from unlocking the phone. I would trade the 64 bit for maybe some quick reply functionality, themes, and the ability to watch videos while still browsing my phone. The iPhone 5 is already fast and each new addition will always be faster. That's a gimme. But I think at this point speed isn't top priority anymore unless the addition of more features slows the phone down and it needs a better processor and whatnot. Like the above poster stated its more for bragging rights than anything.