+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Meet The iPhone 5C

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
"In the past, when we've launched a new iPhone, we lowered the cost of the old iPhone, making it more accessible to new people. But this year, we're not going
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Meet The iPhone 5C

"In the past, when we've launched a new iPhone, we lowered the cost of the old iPhone, making it more accessible to new people. But this year, we're not going to do that," Tim Cook said Tuesday.

"The business has become so large that this year we're going to replace the iPhone 5, and we're going to replace it with not one but two new designs," he said before introducing Phil Schiller to the stage.

First up, the iPhone 5C.

"The iPhone 5C is made with all the incredible technology that customers have loved with the iPhone 5, but there's more, too," Schiller said. "It has an incredible new design. One that's more fun, and more colorful than anything we've made before."

As expected, some of the color options we all expected are there: Blue, white, pink, yellow and green.

"A few of you have maybe seen a few shots of this on the web, and that's cool, because everyone's really excited," Schiller said, prompting some chuckles from the live crowd.

Describing how the wallpaper in iOS 7 matches the color of the phone, Schiller says "it creates an entire experience of color."

The iPhone 5C is "made with all the incredible tech that customers love with iPhone 5."

Getting down to the nuts and bolts, Apple says the new iPhone 5C is made of hard-coated polycarbonate.

"Inside it's built with a new construction method that uses a reinforced steel structure," Schiller adds.

There's a 4-inch retina display, integrated touch, full sRGB, widescreen video, 8MP iSight camera, BSI, impressive battery life, hybrid IR filter and 5-element lens, all powered by A6.

The pricing comes in at 16GB for $99 and 32GB for $199 (with a 2-year contract, of course). New cases are sold separately and are priced at $29 each.

"iPhone 5C is beautifully, unapologetically plastic," Schiller said.

Sources: Apple, CNET

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What a let down apple is dropping the ball big time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh god
    I'm a real apple fan, all my kids r 2
    I waited for the iphone 5 to be the bigger screen option not longer
    I waitedto now, to see the apple innovation to give me the phone I expected at the last reveal. Please, dear god I'm going to have to wait until the 6 ! What 3 years wait from the 4, you've got to be kidding.
    The big big big innovation in 3 years is a pink phone - noooooo - I'm gutted
    What has happened to Apple ??
    Everyone bought iphone 4's on the last 5 outing. Apple looked at sales saw iphone 5 was bought but biggest increase was in iphone 4, yes it was cheaper, but what people wanted was an iphone not a longer iphone. Please read you sales, don't go down the Nokia route, same rubbish different colour . Look what happened to them
    So so so disappointed

Thanks

Disappointment isn't the word.

Steve Jobs would be crying over this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x_IMMORTAL_x View Post
    What were you expecting?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is everybody acting surprised? We already knew what was coming.duh

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x_IMMORTAL_x View Post

Again...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How can the rumored "low class" iPhone disappoint? It's supposed to be the cheaper version.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No surprises here. It is exactly as expected. Anyone who was let down or surprised, obviously hasn't been keeping up with Tech news or even this forum.

Only thing I'm disappointed in (but not surprised by) is pricing. I would have liked to see the 16GB version around $200-250 without contract. At around $550 without a contract, it would be hard to choose this over a $250 Google Nexus 4 16GB.

Thanks

What the so called "let down"?? We all knew what was coming months ago. Umm..remember all the leaks? If you want a 5" screen go get an Android. If you want a stable OS with better apps buy the 5C or 5S. Choice is yours.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (09-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Turns out the leaks were spot on again.

Banned
    Thanks

So the iPhone 5C is just the iPhone 5 with less quality and color. So your paying for the same device but the quality is dropped?
    Its not really that cheap and its still more expensive than lots of Android phones and made a lot cheaper than them too.
    WHY would anyone with half a brain buy this POS?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smith01 For This Useful Post:

Wicrowe (09-10-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

From apple store on 5c:
    Color is more than just a hue. It expresses a feeling. Makes a statement. Declares an allegiance. Color reveals your personality. iPhone 5c, in five anything-but-shy colors, does just that. It’s not just for lovers of color. It’s for the colorful.
    Lame!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    If you want a stable OS with better apps buy the 5C or 5S.
    Several times weekly I have clients at my counter with iDevices that are locked-up. I guess since 75% of them are over 60 you won't find them here. Then there are the clients who are experiencing odd behavior like just a select app not working or sound/video suddenly not working.

No iOS isn't perfect either.

Why can't people just say they have a preference without having to spit on the competition?

I own all three:

My poor MacBook Pro hasn't been powered on in weeks.
    My iPadMini is mostly for games.
    My Galaxy Note 8.0 has been used for content creation and to download content.
    My Surface Pro is my favorite and not only flashes all of my tablets & phones but sports my software development environments.

I love that I can flash my Android devices using my 64gb MicroSD cards...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    So the iPhone 5C is just the iPhone 5 with less quality and color. So your paying for the same device but the quality is dropped?
    Its not really that cheap and its still more expensive than lots of Android phones and made a lot cheaper than them too.
    WHY would anyone with half a brain buy this POS?
    People will buy it, because they plan to stop making the iPhone 5 and you won't be able to get it any more.
    The people who buy this, will be the people who would have bought the iPhone 5 instead of the 5S.
    The main benefit is for Apple. They increase profit by selling a product that's cheaper to manufacture, but charging the consumer the same price as they would have if they'd kept the iPhone 5.

People will choose this over Android if they are big Apple/iOS fans, or just find iOS simpler and easier to use than Android.
    Hardware-wise, this is definitely NOT bang for the buck compared to Android.

Thanks

If I take my i5 with a broken screen (under warranty) to an apple store will I get a 5c?

EVO
    Thanks

I'm disappointed they didn't come out with a Red one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is funking hilarious.
    Everybody who wants a new iPhone 5 thinking they were gunna get a nice, cheap Third-World cut-down and they get this.
    And now they're pouting like spoilt first-graders.
    The words dummy and pram spring to mind.