Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Rumored to Offer Its First Smartphone For Free

Thanks

Default Amazon Rumored to Offer Its First Smartphone For Free

It has been rumored that Amazon has been plotting a move into the smartphone segment and the online retail giant may have just the trick to help it make a splash in that Apple/Samsung-dominated market: offering the smartphone to customers for free. Jessica Lessin cites sources familiar with efforts in saying that the company wants to offer a free smartphone to consumers.

The free strategy is still in the planning stages according to Lessin. One of Amazonís biggest concerns at the moment is reportedly getting the carriers on board with the plan. Telecoms regularly offer older and cheaper phone models for free, provided a customer signs up for a two-year contract agreement, but Amazon wants the phone to be free with or without a contract.

As with the itís Kindle Fire tablets, any smartphone from Amazon would run a forked version of Android, one with all of Googleís services removed and running Amazonís own services instead. Amazon sells these devices as well as its line of dedicated Kindle e-readers, almost at cost, with the plan being to make the money back selling goods and services to the customer. The free smartphone plan would be a similar mindset though how viable that plan is remains to be seen.

The rumors of Amazon planning to launch a smartphone in 2013 remerged early this year. The rumors first centered around a device with a 4.7-inch screen, while later reports had the handset implementing a glasses-free holographic 3D display. The phone has yet to materialize in any form but itís possible that Amazon will show it off when it reveals the next-gen Kindle Fire devices, which have yet to be announced and released.

Source: Jessica Lessin

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

That's the only way people will buy it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

ayaz_ (09-07-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

3D display? Thar just got me thinking. Was there another device like this released after the Evo3D, or was that the only one of its kind? I remember people at the time claiming that was future and Apple should hop in board or fail, yet no one seemed to hop on board. I never got to play with one in person, but clearly it wasn't a successful product.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    3D display? Thar just got me thinking. Was there another device like this released after the Evo3D, or was that the only one of its kind? I remember people at the time claiming that was future and Apple should hop in board or fail, yet no one seemed to hop on board. I never got to play with one in person, but clearly it wasn't a successful product.
    If I remember correctly, no. That Evo 3D thing was a 3D camera. And it had like, a 45 minute battery life. It was horrendous. I'm not aware of any phone with 3D technology in the screen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lilpetabread For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (09-08-2013)

Yawn.

Can someone invent something NEW for a change?

Who would get an amazon phone?

If Amazon had a free phone with free internet access (courtesy of Amazon's super-robust servers) it could change everything we know about cell phones. I don't know if they'd offer free data, though - it would have to go through a cell tower and those are all controlled by Comcast and AT&T.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

gameguy95 (09-09-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    If Amazon had a free phone with free internet access (courtesy of Amazon's super-robust servers) it could change everything we know about cell phones. I don't know if they'd offer free data, though - it would have to go through a cell tower and those are all controlled by Comcast and AT&T.
    Then what was that whole bit of Amazon's Kindle with 3G having GLOBAL 3G coverage in 140 countries or something like that? They made it seem like it was either free, or that whatever you had to pay for it was it, i.e. no extra roaming charges when you went abroad...

Nextgen Kindle Color Paper White technology (i.e a 4k'ish, high sunlight visibility, extremely low power consumption 1080P HD screen) coupled with an HTC One'esque device FOR FREE would be monstrously disruptive and could impact the duopoly. I'm Primed so BRING IT!

PS Amazon is actually working on such a display by the way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lohand For This Useful Post:

gameguy95 (09-09-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    nintendo 3DS offers 3D without the need for glasses- this tech is being developed for use in larger displays, don't know if it will work though.

I may be interested in this amazon thing, but for the fact that it is just another Droid, and I don't want to get chained to amazon for 2 years, I'm already chained to Sprint cos it was the only carrier offering iPhone that didn't cost 150 bucks per month like AT&T for a single person service. I don't wanna trade iPhone service for a droid. To me it is not anything that I would want.
    Last edited by XweAponX; 09-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

You get what you "pay" for. With that i'm out.

I think Amazon could offer a basic service for free, then offer discounted upgrades on the service.
    Think something like this:
    Free - 50 Minutes - 250 Text Messages - 250MB Data
    $10/month - 500 Minutes - 1,000 Text Messages - 2GB Data
    $15/month - Unlimited Minutes - Unlimited Text Messages - Unlimited Data
    $20/month - Unlimited International Minutes - Unlimited International Text Messages - Unlimited Data - All with free international roaming.

Due to Amazon's immense infrastructure, they could make all of the voice work over VOIP, keeping their costs very low, but the service may run at a slight loss. They would make up for it with sales through the Amazon Ecosystem that would be built-in to every phone.

They might find that they would end up needing to sell the phones at their cost to keep profitable, but that would still be cheaper than competing smart phones and the prices outlined above would completely shake up the mobile phone industry. They could even offer additional lines at a reduced monthly rate and still maintain profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpetabread View Post
    If I remember correctly, no. That Evo 3D thing was a 3D camera. And it had like, a 45 minute battery life. It was horrendous. I'm not aware of any phone with 3D technology in the screen.
    That is completely incorrect. The Evo 3D DID have a 3D stereoscopic display utilizing parallax barrier technology which does not require any special glasses to see the 3D effect. LG Optimus 3D, Optimus 3D MAX, and LG Thrill 4G are other phones that came out after it that use the same 3D display technology, but with lower resolution. The Evo 3D still lives on as the HTC Evo V for Virgin Mobile.

My wife has had the HTC Evo 3D on Page Plus for a year now. Not a bad phone, its battery life is better than my iPhone 4S, but the phone itself is rather large and bulky for my taste (though small compared to modern Androids). The 3D display and the built-in 3D camera is the coolest thing ever... for the first 2 days. Then comes the realization it has no practical use and the feature never gets used ever again. She has been wanting a new phone for some time, and she couldn't care less about losing the 3D feature.