+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iPhone Grows to Over 40% of the American Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iPhone Grows to Over 40% of the American Market

Apple’s iPhone continues to expand on its lead as the most popular smartphone in the U.S. by taking more than 40% of the American market according to new figures from Kantar. The latest report from the Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows that the iPhone has taken 43.4% share of the U.S. market for the three months ending in July. This number represents a 7.8% point increase over the same period from a year ago. The U.S., according to Kantar’s numbers, remains Apple’s strongest market, though the iPhone seems to have seen identical growth in Great Britain, where it jumped 7.8 points year-over-year to take a 31.1% share.

Apple’s year-over-year growth in the U.S. came almost entirely at the expense of Google’s Android platform. Android, which still powers a majority of smartphones in the U.S., saw its share shrink by 7.6 points. Combined, the two platforms make up 94.5% of the smartphone market in the U.S.

Kantar’s figures reflect the numbers regularly seen from American wireless carriers. Over the past several quarters the iPhone seems to have consistently proved to be the most popular handset at each of the largest U.S. carriers. In the last quarter, the iPhone accounted for 51% of smartphone sales at Verizon, more than half at AT&T, a sizeable portion of sales at Sprint and 29% of T-Mobile’s gross customer additions and upgrade smartphone sales.

Apple’s iOS platform is also the second-most popular platform in every nation according to Kantar, aside from Mexico, where it lags behind both BlackBerry and Windows Phone. In every region that was examined except for Germany and China, Apple grew its smartphone market share from July 2012 to July 2013, with the largest growth in the U.S. and Great Britain. Kantar’s report doesn’t boast stats anywhere near as pretty for any competing operating systems though. In the U.S., the ever-struggling BlackBerry lost another 0.6%, dropping to just 1.2% share. BlackBerry saw equally dismal numbers across the big five European markets, where it now holds only 2.4% share.

Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform saw an increase in share but only of 0.5 points. Europe was a bit more encouraging though for Microsoft, which has struggled toward relevance in the mobile segment. In the big five European nations, Windows Phone jumped from 4.9 to 8.2% share over the past year, a higher share growth than any other platform saw over the same period in that specific region. In Germany and Great Britain, Microsoft’s platform seems to be approaching 10% while in France it is currently sitting at 11%. Microsoft’s gains come mainly in part due to the availability of low-cost Windows Phone devices, evidenced by the figure showing that 42% of Windows Phone sales over the past year came from consumers upgrading from a feature phone.

As of right now, Apple with its larger more developed app library could very well slow or reverse Windows Phone’s momentum in some markets should it introduce a lower-cost model of its iPhone, as the company is expected to do next week. Previous analyses have speculated that Apple could address 65% of the smartphone market depending on the pricing and available of such a device. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Source: Kantar

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks around for the trolls. Lol. Every time there is a chart that shows any kind of growth for apple. The trolls come to the articles and bash how apple doesn't have this or that.
    Last edited by mlee19841; 09-03-2013 at 07:06 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Shows that Apple needs a low cost version in Europe which isn't one or two versions old

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

One report says apple is declining then another says no. What's really going on?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting to note: the article says that even with a lower cost (midrange) iPhone, Apple would still be able to address only 2/3 of the smartphone market. I believe that. Once you get believe the $250 unsubsidized price for a smartphone, the margins are so minuscule that Apple just wouldn't want to compete and I think that I why Android will always have relevance in the market, even if they get shutout of the high and midrange markets.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,307 Times in 2,723 Posts

Well. Honestly. About 90% of people I see have iPhones. Forget the chart. Just look around Even people with company phones that aren't an iPhone. They wind up with an iPhone as their personal phone. Where if the company phone was one, they would only have it

I have not seen 1. Not 1 kid under 13 with anything but an iPhone. Lol. iPads and MacBooks in schools. What do you think is coming?

I will say this. I got into a conversation with a friend about the cheaper iPhone. I was thinking it was for the per paid market. He said he didn't think so. Not sure. But if apple sales the cheaper iPhone like the go phones. It's over

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes the prices of the iPhone fell and everyone got their hands on the new iPhone which is quite good.
    Last edited by amanda30; 09-04-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    for me it a mix response as the home brand is doing good in home market along with several other locations but there is a big dips is also clearly visible to many countries they were commanding in business ...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,307 Times in 2,723 Posts

Apple is the # 1 business in the world I believe. Has been since 2012. So. They think Steve jobs is mad about that?