+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Approaching Developers via E-mail to Modify App Icons to Compliment iOS 7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is e-mailing developers to alert them that there is an issue with the existing application icon sizes of their applications, as 9to5Mac reports. The implication that there is an
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Begins Approaching Developers via E-mail to Modify App Icons to Compliment iOS 7

Apple is e-mailing developers to alert them that there is an issue with the existing application icon sizes of their applications, as 9to5Mac reports. The implication that there is an issue with the application icon sizes isn’t technically the case just yet, but it will be as soon as iOS 7 comes out to the public.

iOS 7 application icons on the iPhone boast area dimensions of 120x120 pixels, while iOS 6 application icons boast area dimensions of 114x114 pixels. iOS 7 application icons also have a much more defined round edge, which is why those of you running the iOS 7 beta may have noticed inconsistencies with dated application icons that haven't yet been redesigned for iOS 7.

Apple's overall goal is to have developers prepare new application icons that meet these new area dimensions so that application icons will look better overall to users when they eventually upgrade to iOS 7 this Fall. Apple oddly doesn't make any specific references to iOS 7 in the e-mail, nor do they mention the flatter color scheme:

Apple recently updated their Find My iPhone application for iOS, which included an iOS 7-style application icon (even for iOS 6 and older devices). This first move helps set a standard for developers to continue to offer visually appealing application icons for iOS 7.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks

Modmyi will get an update soon or we have to wait like 6 months like the last update ... Just saying
    pain & time and glory

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plumoso View Post
    Modmyi will get an update soon or we have to wait like 6 months like the last update ... Just saying
    They'll probably wait till iOS 8 to update the app that's about how long it'll take them to update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    They'll probably wait till iOS 8 to update the app that's about how long it'll take them to update.
    Lol. They need to add push notifications.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Great so a whole bunch of Apps that haven't had an update in a couple of years and have been abandoned by the developers are going to look crap on iOS 7?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Great so a whole bunch of Apps that haven't had an update in a couple of years and have been abandoned by the developers are going to look crap on iOS 7?
    Not necessarily "crap" simply out of place but this can easily be solved by hiding all un-updated apps in a folder keeping them out of sight

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

nvm
    Last edited by dsg; 08-31-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What so it matches the new 'photos' app? I think they're forgetting what an icon is supposed to do. If you asked 100 people what that icon represented who already didn't know, not 1 of them would guess photos. Every time I look for the photos app on my phone/ipad, I have to remind myself what it is. SOOOOO bad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to goastros For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-31-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

complement*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goastros View Post
    What so it matches the new 'photos' app? I think they're forgetting what an icon is supposed to do. If you asked 100 people what that icon represented who already didn't know, not 1 of them would guess photos. Every time I look for the photos app on my phone/ipad, I have to remind myself what it is. SOOOOO bad.

It's called Usability Testing. I'm sure Apple does a ton if it.