Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Huge Lot of Fake Apple Products Seized By Maryland Authorities

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Huge Lot of Fake Apple Products Seized By Maryland Authorities

Once again dispelling the erroneous notion that counterfeit Apple products only plague overseas markets, local news reports out of the state of Maryland indicate that a huge lot of fake Apple products was recently seized by authorities.

An NBC news affiliate in Maryland reports that state police uncovered and took possession of nearly $90,000 worth of fake Apple products procured from two stores inside of an Arundel Mills Mall. It should be noted that neither store was an Apple retail store.

Officers said they raided the Cyberion store and the ST Tech Pros kiosk last Friday and recovered hundreds of fake Apple products that were being sold as authentic factory replacements.
    Found inside of legitimate-looking Apple product packaging were knock-off iPhones, cellphone conversion kits, iPhone and iPad covers, Apple product ID stickers, iPad replacement screens and "various internal iPhone parts."
    "These organizations that make these products are using substandard materials. They are doing everything they can to make them look like the real thing," Greg Shipley with the Maryland State Police told the local news outlet. "Our investigators believe that they were acting as some type of authorized Apple repair shop and they were taking Apple phones and replacing them with interior parts that were inferior, that were fake, that were not Apple products."

Source: WBAL-TV

Some of these actually look real from a distance.

Thanks

so they got their stuff taken for doing iphone color changes?

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    so they got their stuff taken for doing iphone color changes?
    They got seized because they sell them as apple products. You can't do that.

Thanks

Lol, 20 mins from my house. I hate that mall.

It should be noted that neither store was an Apple retail store.

Really? Should that be noted? That's not obvious? Lol

I assume you got my email based on this story being published...

I sent this in because I use to go here and send friends when they needed a screen replaced or want to change the color of their phone screen and back or just cheap but quality work and products but of course the news reports it as "non genuine apple parts" and "sub standard" I can say my replacement screen to my iphone 4 was stronger than the original but fake is fake I suppose
    Last edited by carlos6438; 08-30-2013 at 01:20 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol this is retarded these customers knew that this wasn't an apple store c'mon....

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
    It should be noted that neither store was an Apple retail store.

Really? Should that be noted? That's not obvious? Lol
    Reasons for having warning labels on everything is because people are stupid.

What!?! So the pink cheetah print front and back aren't actually made by Apple?!? Anyone that thought they were legit is stupid.

If I were going to change to one of those colors, I'd still want the Apple logo on the back. That's a neat touch, but the retailer should have known better. They couldn't have done anything to him if the counterfeit logos weren't there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i113 For This Useful Post:

vazzana (08-30-2013)

They have stands like this at two malls I got to and so many phone shops around me that do the same thing. Smh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    What!?! So the pink cheetah print front and back aren't actually made by Apple?!? Anyone that thought they were legit is stupid.

If I were going to change to one of those colors, I'd still want the Apple logo on the back. That's a neat touch, but the retailer should have known better. They couldn't have done anything to him if the counterfeit logos weren't there.
    I think it's more so that the products were in what looked like official Apple packaging and being sold as OEM parts.

Thanks

Yes, if you really believed any of those products were authentic you are on some hard core stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post

WHAAAAT? Pink Cheetah print isn't legit OEM Apple? For Real.....

These repair shops are all over the place blatantly displaying these items. I would like to know more on the details involved in this case. Was it more of a copyright infringement on the Logo or what really happened. Is this the first real shot at repair and custom shops? I hope not- Time will tell.
    Last edited by Greatbiguns; 08-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,368 Posts

I'm not sure if this was a legit raid. So they might be an Apple certified repair shop; okay. But does that mean all they can use to repair Apple products is OEM hardware? Last I checked, there are thousands of stores repairing cracked screens, backs, etc. I doubt most of them use an OEM part cuz that'd cost a ridiculous amount of money. Just curious what the specifics are....

This is dumb and misleading. Well according to the pic anyway. These are just aftermarket replacement screens and lCDs used to replace a cracked screen or do a color change/mod to an AUTHENTC apple iDevice. Same as all the stuff on eBay. Of course a pink screen is not OEM Apple, but it functions just as good. I've done many color conversions and screen repairs. If you want a a different color screen you have no other choice.

Thanks

Lmao dumb. Lol they would rather raid these people helping out people fix their cell phones than focus on drug lords, rapers, child molesters, ect. I'm not saying they don't do their job in that sense but COME ON lol. This is where our tax money goes haha. Smh. It's blatantly obvious nothing there is official from apple. Lol come ooonnnnnn

what is stated in the article is that they were advertising it as OEM and authentic......... That's it.

Most people are missing the point, Apple is one of the only companies that does not offer there OEM parts to the public. Repair shops all get aftermarket products because it's the only parts available new. SO legitimate repair shops will have iPhone back glass that has no branding what so ever. These screens are all counterfeit and are illegally using the Apple trade mark branding.

I agree with you 100% @Magnum which is fawking retarded and really stupid for them to raids these shop I mean!!! SMH... Hahaha... Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast